7919 N Division St, Spokane, Washington, 99208, United States

Japanese GardenJapanese Garden

Dishman hills burning, July 2008Dishman hills burning, July 2008

Spokane FallsSpokane Falls

Ninemile Falls From BridgeNinemile Falls From Bridge

Help me plan three great days in Spokane in June?

by KimMarie

I'll be there from June 10-13th (Wed thru Friday). Obviously the parks are great, and I plan to visit those. I'm interested in finding a local restaurant where the locals go....I don't want to be surrounded by tourists for the entire time I'm there. I'll have a car. I like places that have historical significance. It doesn't have to be fancy, though that's okay too, but I'd like something with old romantic charm. thank you. Kim

by Dester

Try the Lame Duck on Trent. Good food and drink at good prices

by bocmaxima

Spokane really doesn't attract that many tourists (or, at least, I haven't noticed it), so I don't think that you'll be "surrounded by" them at any place. Anthony's Downtown on the Falls is good if only for the view (there's better seafood elsewhere though), especially if you're on the patio. There are several other places Downtown that are very good. It just depends what sort of food you're looking for.
For historical significance (although recent), you can head up to the Garland to the milk bottle cafe. I believe it was in "Benny & Joon" or some other movie. The Steam Plant Grill has some historical significance, but it's fairly noisy so I wouldn't call it romantic. There's also the restaurant inside the Davenport, although that's very fancy.
While in Spokane, be sure to have a glass of wine at the Caterina Winery on Washington and, if you like microbrews, there's Great Northern Lights hidden away off Trent, east of the Gonzaga campus. Fabulous beer and the brewpub has a nice atmosphere. Also, be sure to do one of the short, flat hikes along the river, probably west of town. It's really gorgeous out there and there are never many people out.
hth

by GracesTrips

30 minutes east, you can be in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. OMG, one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. The lake is pristine, the town has some great restaurants and you should try to go horseback riding there.

Not much in the way of historial significance but you will absolutely enjoy it. I have never been to a place with friendlier people than in Idaho.

Sorry, I don't have pics and tips posted for Coeur d'Alene - I didn't own a digital camera during my visits but have been there 3 times about 8-10 years ago.

by Dester

You're absoluteley right Grace. Day tripping in North Idaho would be tops, if possible drive up to Priest lake, the moose along the road outnumber the deer. The best scenery is from the east side of the lake (I lived in Coolin) The entire drive is awesome though. You won't want to leave!

by kxner

Northern Lights is a good suggestion. Another place that's very much a local place is The Elk in Browne's Addition. It used to be an old pharmacy, and it's got that historical vibe. It's at Pacific and Cannon. Oops, looks like you're leaving today. Hope you see this!

Travel Tips for Spokane

A nice walk through the park

by truemtnative

We loved to take our little boy to River Front Park. There was a lot of times where we would take sandwiches and spend the whole day there. They have a huge wagon that is a slide and it was fun to walk across the bridge and see his face light up at how high we were and to see all the water below us. They also have a neat "mini" carnival that runs during the summer.

Public Golf Courses--Spokane County

by JessieLang

There are three county-owned courses. Two of them are in Liberty Lake, about 15 mi. from downtown Spokane; Hangman is south of town, about 10 miles.

Hangman Valley Golf Course
2210 E. Hangman Valley Rd., Spokane, WA 99223-9572
Phone: (509) 448-1212
Directions:
From I-90 take exit #279 and head south onto 195 (Pullman Colfax Highway). Travel south 4.5 miles to Hatch Road. Turn left (east) and go 2 tenths of a mile. Turn right (south) on Hangman Valley Rd. and travel 4.5 miles. The course will be on your right.

MeadowWood Golf Course
24501 E. Valleyway Avenue, Liberty Lake, WA 99019-9678
Phone: (509) 255-9539
Directions:
From I-90 take exit #296 and continue to Liberty Lake Drive. Turn right and continue to Country Vista Blvd. Turn left (east) and continue to Molter. Turn right (south) and continue to Valley Way. Turn left (east) and continue 1 mile to clubhouse. Golf course is on the left.

Liberty Lake Golf Course
24403 E. Sprague Avenue, Liberty Lake, WA 99019-9653
Phone: (509) 255-6233
Directions:
From Spokane take I-90 east to the Liberty Lake exit. Take Liberty Lake Road south to Sprague Avenue and take a left. Follow Sprague approximately 1 mile. Golf course is on the left. (Closed for renovation now, but expected to open in Spring, 2010.)

Old Cataldo Mission

by lar-n-me

It's beautiful and historical. Stop if you're driving by, it's only about 3 minutes (and viewable) from the freeway, approximately 30-45 minutes from Spokane.
It's the oldest standing building in Idaho, built between 1848 and 1853.
(Exit 39 off I-90)

Check Out the Public Art

by GuthrieColin

Spokane has made a very conscious effort to beautify its city with public art and parks. In Riverfront Park alone I saw at least 6 pieces of art. In 1981 the city enacted a “Percent for art” ordinance that made 1% of construction costs be spent purchasing public artwork.
The result of their work has made for many pieces of artwork, some may seem a little unusual but at least one should be interesting to everyone. The artwork varies from a Native American Totem Pole to a sculpture of people running a marathon to a bus sized Radio Flyer complete with a set of stairs and a slide.

Manito Park

by lar-n-me

90 acres of park and was originally called Montrose Park, name changed in 1903 to Manito Park, which means "'spirit of nature".
Duncan Garden is a classical European Renaissance-style garden comprising of three acres and highlighted by a large granite fountain. There is also a Perennial Garden, Japanese Garden, and Rose Hill, which features 1500 rose bushes of over 150 varieties. The Gaiser Conservatory has lush floral displays amid tropical foliage.
There's a duck pond, playground, hiking trails etc.

Comments