3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

1320 Broadway Plaza, (formerly Sheraton Tacoma Hotel), Tacoma, Washington, 98402, United States

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Costs 56% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• glabah's Profile Photo

Famous for Collection of World Artworks

I have never stayed at this hotel, but if I can find a decent price for it some night in the off-season I might decide to stay here.

The reputation of this hotel around the Pacific Northwest revolves mostly around the artwork collection that it has accumulated, and as such the hotel is actually a regular participant in the Third Thursday Tacoma Artwalk. At last count, the hotel has won seven awards for its artistic yet functional design. Alaska Airlines Magazine suggests staying a night and riding the elevator to every floor to see the art in every elevator lobby.

The location is exceptionally good, as it is pretty much right in the middle of downtown Tacoma. It is close to all the core downtown businesses, the convention center, and the theatre and museum district.

It is also a fairly tall building for Tacoma (it was originally constructed as a Sheraton Hotel, but later that chain decided to leave the area), and based on this there should be some rooms in the hotel that have a reasonably good view.

It should be noted that WiFi internet access is an extra $9.95 a night.

Unique Quality: For an extra fee, there are pet-accessible rooms.

Directions: Interstate 5 to I-705 to A Street Exit to S15th and north 1 block on Broadway. One block uphill from the downtown Tacoma end of the TacomaLink streetcar and many local bus lines.

More about Hotel Murano

Third Thursdays Art Walk

by glabah

Every Third Thursday of the Month is special in downtown Tacoma, as the three big museums (Washington State History Museum, the Tacoma Art Museum, and the Museum of Glass) are all open until 8 at night. Furthermore, these museums are free of charge during those late night hours.

However, the attraction isn't just those three museums. There are actually quite a collection of galleries that are also open for the Tacoma Art Walk, and even the Hotel Murano is open to the public as an art show during that time.

About the only thing of significant artist interest that doesn't participate in Third Thursday is the Union Station Courthouse, which keeps regular federal courthouse hours no matter what.

The art walk has been going since 1989, and therefore is one of the oldest such art walk shows in the Pacific Northwest. The web site below gives you a map of the various locations, all of which are within a very short walk of eachother, but does not give you any idea as to what type of art or materials will be on display at that particular location.

The biggest problem that you have is that you will not be able to see it all during the course of one evening, especially when you start to include the three big museums that are free of charge on Third Thursday, and thus you have some good excuses to come back.

Also, if you happen to be visiting during the non-summer months, take the opportunity to go out and look at the outdoor glass sculptures on the ground of the Glass Museum and the Bridge of Glass in the evening. The opportunity to view these works with the lights behind them are one of the attractions of Third Thursdays for sure!

fantastic hotel!!!

by TripAdvisor Member boopoo

my boyfriend and i planned to visit the museum of glass in tacoma & spent a night at the hotel murano and it was FANTASTIC!!

the room was beautiful and the view was spectacular. each floor of the hotel was like discovering a new treat! the hotel lobby has a gorgeous chandelier.

we ate at bites restaurant and he ordered the mustard grilled salmon which was incredible. i had the tofu noodles which was alright.

overall, the hotel murano is a gem!!!

A great hotel experience

by TripAdvisor Member terri_hjelm

It was a great experience from check-in to check-out. The valet meet us at our car, the front desk was efficient and polite. Our room was exquisitely decorated. The bathroom was large and airy. The flat screen TV was a nice touch. Our room had a great view of Mt Rainer. I called down for our car and it was ready and waiting for us to leave. I was very impressed with the hotel. I found the Hotel Murano a great value.

My home away from home

by TripAdvisor Member fatdog2

I had a wonderful stay at the Hotel Murano. My room was perfectly clean and the bed was very comfy. Front desk service was professional and polite. The Lobby Bar was very fun with great service. The salon (especially Will!!) had wonderful services and I left with a new look. The spa is very beautiful and filled with the nicest people I have ever met! They too provide excellent services. I will be back and have told many people about the excellent services at Hotel Murano. Being a former Tacoma resident it is so nice to see all of the positive changes in downtown Tacoma.

great experience, would stay there again

by TripAdvisor Member colorpenguin

We very much enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Murano Tacoma. Everything was great (room, staff, etc.) and the touches of art glass on each floor were fun (like a mini museum). In addition, we were very pleasantly surprised by the yummy dinner we had at Bite, the on-site restaurant. We'd eat there if we lived locally!

Truly remarkable, boutique hotel experience in downtown Tacoma

by TripAdvisor Member PTReader

I booked this hotel based solely on the website description, being one of two major hotels in proximity to my desired location in downtown Tacoma, walking distance to the Tall Ships Challenge and the Museum of Glass.

WOW ... this hotel lobby and interior spaces are simply beautiful, akin to the artistry on exhibit at the Museum of Glass. This property is not anything like the former Sheraton, nor in the state of reconstruction disrepair suggested by earlier reviewers this past December-April. The property is still under some renovations, with the sauna/jacuzzi still not open (but the exercise room with new Precor equipment, towel service, and flat screen TVs is), and the exterior carport remains unfinished.

The service and personability of the staff is, in our humble opinion, another of the hotel's fine assets. All staff aimed to please and assist guests, offering locals' takes on restaurants, recent downtown doings, etc. The bellhop/front desk staff gave excellent walking directions, really knew downtown, and called for confirmation on specifics and hours at local places BEFORE sending us out walking, a definite plus!

The best part: On the 4th July, the front desk assisted us in getting reservations to a restaurant that offers free car service for downtown hotels to/from the restaurant. We got a window view, front row seat for the fireworks, being able to see them from Seattle to Tacoma and beyond!

Room service is available 24 hours a day, a major plus. The in-hotel restaurant serves breakfast until 11:30 AM, two cafes are a mere 2 blocks away, and there are a least four coffee stores nearby, so there are options. The Lobby Bar is a friendly place to relax, chat, and have a beverage. Unfortunately, no snacks or food is available (or offered) in the Lobby Bar, a puzzling conundrum when having before dinner cocktails.

The Patron level host Oahn was simply delightful, offering beverages, information, and snacks with impeccable service. The wine hour was a pleasant surprise. The continental breakfast was ample and well stocked, with fresh fruits, cereals, etc. The only "down"point: The weekend continental breakfast ends at 10AM, not a good time for those of us on vacation or sleeping in after a night out at the theatre or concert.

The room was a bit smaller than envisioned from the on-line descrition, however, was more than adequate. The room was comfortable, quiet, and had a nice view of the Thea Foss Waterway. All furniture and beddings are top-line. The bed was so comfortable! The bath was spacious, spotless and well-serviced (Thank you Room Service personnel!)

When at the Hotel Murano, be sure to make time to visit the Museum of Glass, to better appreciate the artistry and workmanship on display at the Hotel Murano.

We most definitely will stay again at this property!

wonderful experience

by TripAdvisor Member JTravlerHawaii

I was on my way to attending a conference at a local university and found out about the hotel on the university's website. Overall, I had a wonderful experience. The staff were polite and helpful. The room was gorgeous, modern, and at the same time inviting and comfortable. In addition, everything was clean, in order, and tasteful. I would most definitely stay at the hotel again - much better option than the "Hiltons" and "Marriots"!!! Give the hotel a try!

Charmed by there service

by TripAdvisor Member opusphilo

This was a really fantastic experience. The interior was fantastic but the service beat all hands down. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. We loved the view of downtown Tacoma from our room. They were great about fulfilling our pillow menu orders. The hotel restuarant was very nice and service was super. The wait staff kept our glasses filled and met all out needs. I am a diabetic with food allergies and asked for some changes from there menu. They were so wonderful they exceeded my expectations. I am making this my favorite hotel in Washington.

Will Visit Again

by TripAdvisor Member Kermit52

Beautiful hotel and very comfortable. Room service was excellent as was the food. We had a gorgeous view of the snow capped mountain from our room on the 23rd floor. This is a place where we will stay again.

Excellent Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member dpopil

This is an excellent property. We previously stayed here when it was a Sheraton. It has been completely refurbished and the rooms are more like a boutique hotel, but without the boutique prices. VERY comfortable rooms/beds and excellent service.
Good Location for Tacoma Dome venues. Just take the free tram to and from the Dome.
We will definitely stay here again.

Shuttles

by KDEANE

Does a shuttle transport run between SeaTac and the Sheraton in Tacoma?

Re: Shuttles

by yvr

This hotel in Tacoma is no longer a Sheraton, it is now the Hotel Murano, you might check their website regarding a shuttle to SeaTac but it is highly unlikely. There is public transportation with Sound Transit so you might look at the Sound Transit web site for scheduled departures and fares.

Re: Shuttles

by MsWitty1

There are a couple of options I know of from Sea Tac to Tacoma. Super Shuttle runs that route, and so does Capital Aeroporter. Those would probably be your best bet.

Comments