Asa Cline House Bed and Breakfast

State Route 259, Yellow Spring, West Virginia, 26865, United States

More about Yellow Spring

RegistrationRegistration

The latrinesThe latrines

The main attractionThe main attraction

The stablesThe stables

Travel Tips for Yellow Spring

More of Camp Rim Rock

by Kentbein

This is the interior of Lindsey's cabin as she arrived. Everything looked so new and unexpected to her, so she is very intently trying to figure out how and where she fits into this new and different world. I expect she began adpating wonderfully about three minutes after we left her for our 2 - 1/2 return trip home.

Lindsey's counselor, Cynthia Mendez

by Kentbein

Camp Rim Rock is reknown for recruiting campers and counselors from around the world. I heard several accents from around the globe for the brief time I was there, and met Lindsey's counselor, Cynthia Mendez from Monterey, Mexico.

Cynthia is a wonderful nineteen year old spending what she told me is a fabulous summer working at Rim Rock. She and the other counselors get some weekends off to explore places like Washington, DC, and it sounds to me as though she found the perfect summer job.

I was very happy to find that Lindsey will be sharing the cabin with such a nice person. I think Lindsey will love it this year.

Relief

by Kentbein

One last photo before I leave. Here is a photo of the young explorer standing happily (and quite "relieved") in front of the indoor plumbed, running water, individual shower stalls, and most importantly individually enclosed toilets. I was able to show her the latrine as soon as we started up the trail, and after seeing this facility, her fears left her.

On with the show. I'll let you know how it went in two weeks.

Lindsey goes to Camp Rim Rock, July 2003

by Kentbein

"Lindsey arrives at Camp Rim Rock"

My soon to be ten year old daughter attended Camp Rim Rock in Yellow Spring, West Virginia in the summer of 2003. She was very hesitant to leave home this year, which is not at all like her. She is typically adventourous and ready for any type of unknown excitement.

This year was different however. She felt as though she was missing out on the best of summer by leaving home and her local friends. She had just returned the week before from a two week visit with her grandparents, and now all of a sudden she felt she was forced to leave for another two. The summer would be gone before she had time to experience it.

She was also remembering last year's camp experience, attending a very rustic Girl Scout Camp. There were NO ammenities, especially in regards to latrine facilities. I'm sure she had visions of miserable conditions at this camp similar to the Girl Scout Camp.

Let's see if it was the prison she imagined.

One of the things that sold her on Camp Rim Rock is the ability to ride horses. Rim Rock has sixty horses and specializes in riding. Girls can elect to attend horse back riding as the exclusive agenda, or do as Lindsey, and sign up for the General Camp agenda.

General Camp allows for lots of other activities as well as riding, and worked better with her this year. She's especially fond of art, and will have a good time with the Arts program also offered here.

"Cabins"

These are the living quarters for the girls. Cabin assignements are arranged by age group, with Lindsey's group nestled among about ten cabins like these pictured.

Each cabin bunks eight people, with two being counselors. Lindsey's cabin is called "Catawba 2".

LETTER EXCHANGE DESCRIBING RIM ROCK

"LETTER ABOUT RIM ROCK"

The below is taken from a letter Pete Jasper wrote asking my impression of Camp Rim Rock. He's thinking of sending his daughter there and wanted to know our thoughts. Here is what Pete and I wrote:
------------------------------------------------
Original Message from Pete Jasper pjasper@VirtualTourist.com

I saw your daughter's pictures from Camp Rim Rock on Virtual Tourist.
I was thinking of sending my oldest there this year. What did she think,
overall, of the Camp Rim Rock experience? And did you have any qualms about it, before or after?

My daughter hasn't been to camp before (she's just 7) and Camp Rim
Rock seems to be nice, relatively close, and has lots of horses, which she would love.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete Jasper
--------------------------------------------------
Original Message from Kent

Hi Pete. Nice meeting you.

Lindsey absolutely loved the place, which was a very marked difference
between the way she felt leading up to going there. She hated the Girl
Scout Camp we sent her to the previous year, and had monstrous visions
of another two weeks of open latrines, bugs, misery, etc! Rim Rock
turned out to be the exact opposite of that experience and she loved every minute of it.

The camp is an excellent experience. It's well run, provides a full
template of activities- especially horseback riding- and the thing I
found most impressive, international counselors. They actively seek
girls from all over the world to serve as counselors, so the campers get
more than just an outdoor experience. I liked that a lot.

The girls are separated by age group and placed in 8 person cabins, with
one senior and one junior counselor per cabin. That also seems to work
out real well. It gives the girls plenty of choice of friends and offers
time to spend with one or other of the counselors. The entire process
has been well thought.

The setting is beautiful too, nestled at the foothills of the West
Virginia "mountains". They're only a few thousand feet above sea level,
so it's really hard to call them mountains. Technically they are though,
so.....

To help settle your daughter's worries, Lindsey cried her eyes
out the week prior to leaving thinking she would be so home sick and
miserable. We dropped her off Sunday afternoon, and by Monday morning
she had forgotten all about us. She transitioned from being miserable to
ecstatic literally overnight. We had to go through the reverse process
after she returned home in fact. She cried her eyes out the week after returning because she missed the camp so much. It was
a let down to only have parents around after having a whole camp full of friends.

Your daughter can give Lindsey a call to ask her opinion if you like. I
know she's only seven and may be a bit like my six year old, i.e. not so
socially adept at telephone communications!! But if you want, Lindsey's
available to relate her experience, or Joyce or I will be happy to tell
you whatever we know about the camp.

I hope this helps. I think it's a great camp. I would have loved being
Lindsey last year myself, in fact. She really enjoyd it.

Best to you. Call if I can offer anything else.

kent

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: pjasper
To: Kent

Hi, Kent:

Nice to make your acquaintance too. Thanks for the great (and very quick)
response. I may take you up on the phone call. Actually, it might be my wife.
I'm having to do a bigger sales job on her than to my daughter Helen. It sounds
like Lindsey had exactly the kind of experience that I would imagine from a good
summer camp. Helen is young but I think she would love it.

I'll e-mail you first if Helen or my wife want to give ya"ll a call.

Thanks,