Iowa County Courthouse
Dodgeville is the seat of Iowa County, and the centerpiece of downtown Dodgeville is the Iowa County Courthouse. In fact, the county courthouse is the oldest courthouse still in use in the entire state of Wisconsin.
The current Greek Revival structure is the fourth courthouse for the county. It was built just before the War Between the States, in 1859-1861. It was constructed by local craftsmen of native Galena limestone, quarried north of Dodgeville.
Iowa County was established as a territorial county in 1829, even before Iowa became a state. It is named for the Iowa Indians, whose hunting grounds once encompassed these verdant hills.
In 2000 the population of Iowa County was 22,780.
Iowa County, Wisconsin