5150 Fairview Drive, Eau Claire, Wisconsin, 54701, United States
Orbitz.com Booking.com Tingo.com

More about Metropolis Resort

Retro Clean Lines, Great Staff, Fun Place

by TripAdvisor Member Gphone

Here for business but, great modern rooms, open nice lobby, great staff, looks like several activitties for kids and adult kids with go cart, bumper cars, video gams and soon to be water park. Small but excellent food menu.
Definitely the place to stay in the area.

Small town, upscale stay

by TripAdvisor Member Blondie282828

My husband and I stayed at the Metropolis Hotel in Eau Claire Wisconsin. We have stayed in a number of hotels over the years and this hotel is the nicest one we have ever stayed in. The Paris Apartment was a beautifully decorated art deco inspired room. The front desk staff and coffee shop staff were helpful and went out of their way to make our stay comfortable. The room was clean and the most beautiful room we had ever been in. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a relaxing, fun, romantic weekend, this hotel is a wonderful addition to the Chippewa Valley.
Lynn

Best in Eau Claire (although a bit pricey)

by TripAdvisor Member helloashley

This is the best hotel I've ever stayed in--even better than 4 stars in Chicago. The website is very accurate about the amenities offered-unique rooms, fridges, microwave, good breakfast, food service available, etc. Action City is open but the waterpark is not open yet. There's a small fitness room (small!) and you can get passes to a nearby gym. This hotel is very thoughtful about all sorts of nice amenities that most places don't think of.

If you're not planning to use the fancy amenities, I recommend Hampton Inn in Eau Claire. It is newly updated and much nicer than other hotels in its class. Don't go to the Holiday Inn across the street from Hampton Inn except for the restaurant.

Noisy! Noisy! Noisy!

by TripAdvisor Member collegedadwi

What a nightmare! I am sitting in the room now with cotton in my ears because of the noise. Last night at around 10:30PM we turned off our TV and decided to go to bed. Then we hearded the hollowing of a bad singer echoing in our room. We tried to ignore it, but the song was not enjoyable. We reallized the new hotel was cheaply constructed, It was the sound from the bar on the first floor and we were on the third. We called the front desk and their response was that we could have 25 dollars off our next stay. We paid over 200 dollars for a specail package that included the action center next door. This was not what we expected from the pictures online. When the room next door moved their bags we heard a boom as it hit the wall. Finely, the front desk called back and moved us to a new room. Once we settled in to the new room and turned off the TV, we realized we were sleeping in the middle of HWY 94. Every truck that went by roared through our room. They used cheap sliding glass doors that lead to a balcony that faced the highway. This room was worse than the first. Super Eight has better service and sound proofing. I am mad and feel riped off.

This place is a nightmare!!

by TripAdvisor Member target2009

I have never before dealt with a management staff that lies as much as the ones running this hotel!!! The place may be beautiful, but looks is all they have. Absolutely no clue about customer service! I brought them 2 huges events totaling 1300 people potentially. I had to cancel one of the events and move it 2 weeks before the date. They do not have the experience to handle crowds. I would never recommend this facility again to any one! Beauty is only skin deep!!!

Nothing to get excited about

by TripAdvisor Member msn58

While the hotel's website suggested great things, and I was eager to stay someplace different, in the end the experience here was pretty ordinary. The main thing that sets this hotel apart from others is the interior design of the rooms. The look and feel is modern & contemporary in terms of furniture, fixtures and layout. But other than that, this hotel is simlar to staying at a Hampton Inn, etc. I though the room lighting was quite dark. There are only permanent wall and recessed ceiling light fixtures -- all cool fluorescent -- and the light is concentrated on one side of the room. It felt a bit like a cheap apartment, and I'm glad I didn't have to spend a lot of time in the room. There is a large wall mounted HD television. Bed was very comfortable with nice large pillows. There was a microwave and refrigerator. Free wireless internet is available, although the signal in my room was poor (I was at the very end of the hall). A major annoyance was the large gap under the door -- I could easily put all my fingers out into the hall -- that let a lot of bright light in at night. There was also a lot of road noise from the adjacent interstate highway -- despite being several hundred yards away. Suggest you ask for a room on the back (south) side of the property if you prefer peace and quiet. The setting for the hotel property is unattractive IMHO -- a large, boxy indoor water park adjoins one end of the hotel and an arcade facility is adjacent on the other side. A go-cart track is out front (between the hotel and interstate). Nearby properties tend toward the commercial/industrial. Front desk staff were pleasant and efficient but quite casual -- from what I saw, all college kids with pretty limited experience or training in customer relations. Be advised the lobby bar is a current and hip hangout and when I passed through there about 9pm on a Monday the place was packed with 20-somethings. I had considered having a drink there but there really was no place to sit....or stand for that matter.

Not cookie-cutter

by TripAdvisor Member biztravelerChicago

It's nice to stay somewhere you haven't seen before, and this hotel has an interesting art deco feel. My room was decorated in gray, black and red, which would have been depressing had I been there longer. Bathroom is well-equipped with decent shower pressure and soft towels, a nice change from the sandpaper towels you get in most hotels. Mini refrigerator was a thoughtful element, though it didn't get cold enough to chill a soft drink overnight. Good in-room coffee. Room came equipped with a lapboard for working in bed, which is a convenient touch. The big disappointment was the bed. Terrible mattress -- hard and lumpy with a rubbery mattress pad that left the bed clammy. Horrid cheap foam pillows. Use one and you sink to the mattress; use two and your head is at a 90-degree angle. The non-fitted sheets meant that the sheet roamed around the bed while you slept, leaving you on the mattress pad -- eeeww. They've clearly spent a ton of money on the place so you have to wonder why they'd put a $39 mattress on the bed. Although the Muzak blares in the hall, the room itself was quiet, but maybe because there weren't very many guests there. It would have been nice be told that there was a complementary breakfast, but I had to learn that from the other comments here.

Strange experience....different yet good I guess

by TripAdvisor Member MadFam4

My wife and our two boys 5 and 3 stayed at the Metropolis in Eau Claire last weekend. We were there for a wedding, and therefore got a room rate of 132.00 after taxes and fees. The free breakfasts in the morning was nice, the arcade building is one side but we didn't go in but others said it was nice with a climbing wall and such. On the end of the hotel is a waterpark which we did go to....good for smaller children , nice and clean and plenty of lifeguards working. It cost 10 dollars per person to use if you are staying at the hotel and $20 per person if you are not staying at the hotel.

This hotel has two personalities. During the week they cater to the business traveler and on the weekends they cater to families with the waterpark and the arcade area. I think it is hard to do both well.

Bottom Line if you are in Eau Claire and looking for a place to stay this is a pretty nice place for people with small children. But I would not go back to Eau Claire just to stay at this hotel and use their waterpark. Nice but nothing special.

Champaigne Promotion on a Beer Budget

by TripAdvisor Member PearlBuck

Wow were we disappointed. Where to start. To ge to the hotel we entered the road looking for a sign-the entrance sign is nothing more that a sign with "Metropolis Hotel" on it and looks like it is glued to the front of a piece of plywood/cardboard? The entrance road is a semi-paved/gravel road shared with the adjacent car dealership. It is located in the middle of a farm field so that on either side are the crops (which I did not mind) but did not expect. After getting our key we went up to our room via the elevator. The 3 buttons on the outside were 1 emergency button and 2 unmarked buttons. Assuming the top one was for up I pushed that. Upon entering the room we noticed the stuffiness and so wanted to put on the air and look at the weather channel since we were going to an outdoor concert that night. We could not get the appliances to work. When I went to open the door of the refridgerator the whole thing came out of the area box they have it set in. So I grabbed the batteries from the remote thinking I must need new ones and to ask the front desk about the air conditioning. When we got there the front desk person told us that the key to the room has to be put into a slot before any appliances will work. Well-why don't they tell you these things right up front????? So we went to eat and came back to freshen up. Hotel being new was appealing to me. However the person who designed it did a very bad job. The walls are paper thin, they scrimp on everything. I went to blow my nose and used the last 2 tissues and there was no box in the room to replace it. The decor is beautiful but it is all a fascade. They did not do anything with practicality at all. Its all window dressing. So we went downstairs to wait for the shuttle to our concert-Country jam. While in the lobby we waited inside because the kitchen was making hamburgers and the exhaust and smoke was filling up the patios outside and then started coming inside. The coffee bar had no staff. I had to get the cook to make me a coffee. So we went to the concert and got back at 1 am. As we went down the halls we noticed trays of food in the corridor. No biggee. However those same trays were still there the next morning. So we entered our room not realizing how thin the walls were. We made minimal noise but we made some noise talking about the concert and I explain this because in the morning - 6 am-when the guy in the room adjacent to us picked up his wristwatch to see what time it was I could hear him do so-so I imagine he heard everything we said when we got back. So - 2 things woke us up-the man and then the rooms are directly above the recycling/trash area. You guessed it about 7 am the trash guy came to dump the dumpsters. So no sleep could be had. So I got up to take a shower. Oh I might add the bed was like I slept on a mountain-it was like I was on a slope unless I slept in the very middle and the beds are on a box thats bigger than the mattress so I stubbed my toe about 15 times-cussing each time in pain. Went to take a shower-huh-no shower liner-just a curtain. So I took a shower. When I got out-there was water all over the floor. Which meant I had to find any towel to wipe it up. Oh and they only give you 2 towels a person and they are not body towels. They are normal white towels. The last straw was when we walked down the stairs and took the door at the bottom because it said exit we assume we could use it. It entered into the landscaping-into a rock lined garden edging. What the H*(&**&^&%^^%^! was my comment and I laughed because I was no longer surprised. The saving grace is that the staff were very nice and I liked the complimentary breakfast. However I would not stay here again and the management of this place do a dis-service having a quality website to get people in. It is not as advertised. I felt that at any moment the fascade of the hotels exterior was going to fall off and behind it it would say-Bates Hotel or something scary like that. For $165 I expected way more!

It was OK

by TripAdvisor Member dddddddddddd_9

The bed and room were nice, but the lady at the front desk was rather unplesant. We got there before check in time, she wouldn't tell us what floor we would be on. She wouldn't tell us approximately what time our room would be ready.
The parking was not the best either, too far away from the entrance of the hotel.

Comments