Fontana Hotels

• riorich55 profile photo riorich55
  • Reviews: 652

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Lazy Cloud Bed and Breakfast: Romantic Getaway

Our original vacation plans after our daughter's wedding and to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary from a few months before were to go down to the Caribbean island of Dominica. We had been to the Caribbean back on our honeymoon and hadn't been back since. But a new work assignment kept me from taking off a week, so we decided to spend a couple of days away a lot closer to home.

As usual did some internet research. Nobody from VT has written about this area very much but I did find a lot of great reviews on our sister site, Trip Advisor. I finally settled on the Lazy Cloud Bed and Breakfast which seemed to fit our bill for the weekend.

We arrived on a Thursday night just after sunset with my handy iPad leading us literally right to the front door with its blue dot guiding the way. We checked into our themed room and spent the next 3 nights and days enjoying the area.

This was our 4th experience in the last couple of years at a Bed and Breakfast. Our all time favorite still is in Waynesville, North Carolina, but I think this one will rank #2 in our current ranking.

The B & B has 8 suites and 2 regular size rooms. The only real difference between the suites and the rooms is that the suites are a little bigger. But they all have in room fireplaces and whirlpool tubs. Since we were very late getting a reservation they only had the 2 regular size rooms available. But that was ok since they were slightly less expensive.

Each room is themed. Our room was the Beachcomber Room which I thought was very appropriate since we didn't get to go down to the Caribbean and see a beach down there. Other suites for example are the Enchanted Treehouse (we went up and saw this one) and another is the Paul Newman Suite. Our Beachcomber Room was all decked out in a nautical theme. Everywhere in the room was some sign which you would associate with a beach, sea shells, and anything else you could think of in a beach or water sense. Above the head of the bed you could also turn on some tiny Italian lights to recreate a starry night.

Breakfast in the morning was in a common room. Breakfast was an assortment of fruits, coffee cakes, coffee, tea, juice, etc. The only disappointment was that the only cheese they had were packaged string cheese. I think for the money we paid they should have had at least a couple of pieces of other types of Wisconsin Cheese. But it is a minor point.

The grounds are very pretty, so if you wanted you could spend a relaxing day here or even have a small wedding, which it appears happen here quite often.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Sailing and Boating, Spa and Resort
  • Written November 20, 2011