269 Fontana Blvd., Fontana, Wisconsin, 53125, United States
Travelocity Expedia.com Booking.com

More about The Abbey Resort And Spa

Peaceful Weekend

by TripAdvisor Member pasmentek

My husband and I went to the Abbey Resort to celebrate our 1 yr anniversary. I had been at the resort many years ago as a child and have always had fond memories of my times spent there.
We checked in on a friday afternoon to find an empty lobby and friendly accomodating desk clerks. We originally booked a pool view room but upgraded to a harbor view for an additional $30.00. What a beautiful and tranquil setting. Our room was lovely, furnished in a nautical cottage theme with warm neutral colors.
We had a balcony which overlooked the harbor and watched the boats while having our moring coffee or evening cocktail. I would recommend an end room so you have a little more privacy.
The resort is a very large facility and there are many activities to participate in if you choose. I would highly recommend the Abbey as a weekend get away or as a place to bring the family. It was worth every cent!!!

Nice Getaway

by TripAdvisor Member mizzouhrm

My wife and I stayed at the Abbey Resort for a two night "mini-moon" getaway after our wedding. We booked a package that included a $150 f&b credit with the price of the room. Check-in was quick and easy, and the bellman/valet was helpful and earned his tip. Our room was very comfortable. We didn't mind our view of the pool, but those who insist on having a scenic view would have been disappointed. The bathroom was great with a huge shower (no tub) and amenities from the spa. The bed was wonderful, though we found it odd that it was so high off the ground. Another thing we found odd (and mildly annoying) was the fact that the toilet paper holder is too small for a standard roll. The flatscreen tv had a reasonable selection of cable channels, but the lack of an in-room movie channel was a bit disappointing. We spent a considerable amount of time at the swimming pools. The pools seemed fine; I'm not sure why anyone would think they need updating. We appreciated the adult pool, which was very peaceful and relaxing. I'm no spa expert, but I thought the spa services were comortable and up to date. My wife and I took advantage of a poolside chair massage. Our masseuse was friendly and professional.

Food and beverage services at the hotel were pretty good overall, but not without their kinks. We were sad that there's no full-service breakfast option. We had two pleasant lunches outside at the Waterfront Restaurant. The service and food at the Fontana Grill were both very good. Our dinner at the Porto Restaurant had enough mishaps that we ended up getting a martini and two desserts comped. In the restaurant's defense, though, I don't think our experience was in any way typical, and I'd feel confident in giving it another try.

All in all, we enjoyed our little escape to a quiet, sunny resort. I'd go there again, but always during the week. I bet the place is packed on summer weekends. Our room was clean, comfortable, the staff was extremely friendly, and none of our complaints were anything major.

Nothing great, needs better service

For a short weekend it is ok. The rennovated rooms are nice but the spa could benefit from similar facelift. Restaurants and room service lack variety. Service in the Helm (restaurant) was very poor w/ wrong orders and unwilling to correct. Absolutely nothing to wow me. Wasn't too expensive but didn't get much for my money. Would not return or reccomend it.

Loved The Abbey

by TripAdvisor Member MTGrafix

My husband took me to The Abbey last weekend for my birthday. We arrived on Sat. to a lovely refurbished resort. Every room and corridor was completely redone. Our room had wonderful pillowtop beds, flatscreen TV and the bathroom was decorated with beautiful granite countertops. The walls could've used a little more reinforcement as we could hear our neighbors talking and kids stomping up and down the hallways. We had dinner at the Fontana grill and enjoyed not only our meal but the service as well. Our waitress was extrememly helpful and even brought some of the BBQ sauce for me to try before ordering the ribs. Our only complaint was the price of the martini my husband ordered. $12.00 seemed a bit steep and should've been printed on the martini menu. They had a pianist playing during dinner and then he moved to the bar for after hours entertainment. Very nice! Even though it was spring break weekend, the pool wasn't overly crowded. The spa and adult pool was closed for renovation during this time. The staff was extremely friendly. We enjoyed our stay and plan to return in the summer when everything is in bloom and all of the boats are in the harbor.

Was expecting more

by TripAdvisor Member TatiGutierrez

I had expected some thing a little different compared to thier website. The spa was not updated at all. The sauna and steam rooms and the spa area looked like from the 70's, all dark brown and old looking.The hotel swimming pool was very out dated and the game room was so old. The area were you can see there was remodeling was in the lobby,rooms and hallways and some of the restuarants.

Also, I guess unless its summer time there is like 2-3 employees working all aspects of the hotel and it seemed kinda wierd. The same person that served in one place also did in another. We were the only one's there besides a small business group.

I think that the hotel was nice but it would be nicer and more appealing if there were more things available in the spring time and there was more updated areas like the spa which is why you go in the off season.

I would return but definately not unless its summer.

Some good, some bad. Overall average.

by TripAdvisor Member tshort6000

There is road construction in the area, but this is beyond the resorts control. We arrived on Thursday for a weekend stay. Upon arrival, we found complimentary valet parking is offered. This is a nice touch. As others have commented, the resort went through a remodel and is in very good condition overall. The lobby is inviting and had a very nice and very large fresh flower arrangement. The check-in process was average. We discussed upgrades. The upcharge for as suite was steep (double our original rate), but we were moved to a pool view room at no additional cost. Note, location is important as this resort has many buildings.

The room condition and cleanliness was above average. The room size was average to small. Our room had two queen beds which were very comfortable. The room also had a flat screen tv, small refridgerator and microwave. The bathroom was nice, but again a little on the small side. Housekeeping did a good job, but they never did replace any of the resort supplied soaps and shampoos we had used.

Our first disappointment was with room service. We ordered dinner for four, only to find three of the four items we wanted on the menu had been discontinued. The delivery time was as promised. The food quality was average, with above average prices.

As our kids were with us we explored and used the indoor and outdoor pools. The pools are decent size and in good condition. There is a separate outdoor kids pool with slides, water fountain, etc, too. Each pool had a lifeguard which was nice, but probably a local law too.

Our next disappointment was with regards to the kids club. Upon calling to scheudle our kids to be in the facility, we were told we needed to call four days in advance to book this service. They staff only by reservation and we had missed the deadliine for our entire stay. They offerred no aplogies. This is unacceptable and should have been pointed out when we made our reservation. Obviously, this was a limitation we had not planned on and caused us to change some of our dinner and entertainment plans.

We did use the Spa facilities and booked a couple of treatments. This area of the resort is definatley not remodeled. The Spa services were lacking. First, there is a $20 Spa entry charge even of you are booking services. This is ridiculous. The brochure mentioned water, juice, and tea being available. Tap water was the only option we found. Also, they made a big deal of their spa orientation. We arrived early and found the orientation consisted of the towel guy pointing his finger in the general direction of the locker and whirlpool. The Spa staff is definatley not up to resort level expecations.

We ate and drank in most of the restaurants. Again, average food at somewhat above average prices. We were told there would be live entertainment in in the main bar, but this never transpired.

Our checkout process was smooth and the bill was accurate.

nice hotel, great location

by TripAdvisor Member profpat

We went up to Lake Geneva for a Friday, Sat, Sunday weekend. This was our first time here in over twenty years!
MAIN AREAS
My memory of the Abbey was that of a dark, dim place with lots of dark wood trim. Not anymore. Starbucks coffee, high end (gorgeously appointed) restaurants and a cute candy store make it fun and modern.
ROOM
Our hotel room was bright and pretty, with high ceilings and marble bathroom. Terrific! The spa shampoo/cond/body lotion provided spelled great.
ACTIVITIES
We went to the bonfire by the hotel on Friday night. You roast marshmallows and make smores (again, another thing I haven't done in years!) while a guy plays guitar. There is a marina named Gordy's across the street from the Abbey where we rented a boat on Saturday. The lake is crystal clear! I actually snorkeled in the water when we anchored. Lovely.
VALUE
The only reason I didn't give the Abbey 5 stars was price. We are going to Las Brisas in Hualtaco Mexico for 8 days soon. It was $699 per person thru Apple vacations and includes food, plane, hotel and transportation. By comparison, the Abbey was $632 for two nights and boat rental was $300 for a half a day. Factor in food, and it's cheaper to leave the country than "go up to wisconsin." How do families afford it? It wasn't that busy, not like it used to be anyway. Maybe getting hit with extra fees on your bill ($12 resort pass) and having to pay $20 extra per person to used the workout stuff (we didn't) has something to do with it.
OVERALL
We had a great time and loved the Abbey. Any questions, email me at pborowia@netscape.net.

Great annual tradition

by TripAdvisor Member RHD&O

My family and I are returning guests at this resort and found the remodel to be a welcoming change. We did not have spa reservations this time around, so I cannot comment on that. The upgrades throughout the rest of the resort were very nice, the decks and patio areas surrounding the rooms, the outdoor pools, and the rooms themselves were comfortable and clean. The staff was very curteous. I highly recommend this resort for a weekend getaway in the summer, we will now come back annually.

Best!!!

This is the best hotel ever!!! There is very friendly people, great variety for food (young and old!!) It is a great get-a-way place if you want to relaxe and have time to yourself!

Comments