Days Inn Lambeau Field

Quality Inn Stadium Area
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Green Bay

We are @ "Los Banditos" restaurant, Green Bay, WIWe are @ "Los Banditos" restaurant, Green Bay, WI

Paper MillPaper Mill

National Railway MuseumNational Railway Museum

a supplication before the altara supplication before the altar

What's it like living in Green Bay?

by eastcoastgal

There's a possible relocation involved. Before I give it a thumbs up or down I wanted to get some feedback. Actually, I'd prefer moving where it's WARM, because I love the outdoors. But...that can be overlooked becuase I love the beauty of snow-covered forests in winter. Right now I live in Ohio...yuck...cold winters with very little snow or trees. If it's going to be cold, then I want snow. I love Chicago and would move there in a heartbeat. It can't be much colder in Green Bay. Bottom line...if you get past the cold, is Green Bay a great place to raise a family. I just want a beautiful place with lots to do...warm or cold.

by yooperprof

Green Bay itself isn't an attractive town, though it's close to the great northwoods, and also to Door County, which is very charming and quaint. Winters will be longer in Green Bay than in Chicago, and harder. Expect more snow there, both earlier in the fall, and later in the spring. It may not get all that much colder in Green Bay than in Chicago, but it will stay cold for longer.

Positive things about GB: it's a prosperous small city, lots going on there, easy access via good roads to Milwaukee, Madison and Chicago, and also to the U.P. Relatively safe - and pretty good schools. And the Packers, and all the pride that comes with that.

by sevillesimon

Hi,

I've been to Green Bay only once so I'm not really familiar with this small city, just an overnight stop over from a roadtrip in the upper midwest a couple of years ago.

However, I've been to Madison several times and I love this city very much. It also has plenty to offer, in terms of culture and sports. Of course winter is very long in Wisconsin but there are winter sports available such as skiing, hockey, and figure skating. In warmer months canoeing, sailing, cycling, rollerblading, or any type of regular sports can be engaged by the public. University of Wisconsin Madison is located in the city and is a great educational facility. It's also within a couple of hours' drive from both Milwaukee and Chicago. And Madison is frequently ranked highly among the top best to live US cities.

Good luck.

by WEIRD_1

I lived in Green Bay for 25 years and I loved it. During the summer it seems like every weekend offered a festival or concert. I never did like winter but even I would find indoor things to do. Yes, it gets cold, but the people are warm and for the most part welcoming.

I would have never left Green Bay but I needed to be closer to my grand daughters and their mother. I believe the North Eastern Wisconsin area in general is the best place in the world to raise a family.

Good luck, and let us know how this works out.

Travel Tips for Green Bay

A pretty bird with blue on its wing

by yooperprof

My brother Eric is a birdwatcher - and he knows the exact name of this creature. He lives out in California (Santa Cruz), so he enjoyed this opportunity to investigate a different habitat. In our short time in the wildlife refuge, he added two completely "new" birds to his birdwatching list. Way to go, Eric!

Amtgard

by apuleuis

Green Bay has a large Amtgard park. For those of you who don't know what Amtgard is, it is a medieval reenactment club that focuses more on the fighting aspect, and add in fantasy. We go around beating each other with foam weapons essentially. If you are ever looking for anything interesting to do on a Saturday afternoon in Green Bay, check it out.

Packer Game or training camp...

by rstary

Packer Game or training camp is a must in the summer and fall.
The Packers are full of tradition and it truly is an electrifying experience to be present at a game.

Lambeau offers daily tours, but there is nothing like the electricity of game day! The Packer Hall of Fame and pro shop are immediately adjacent to the atrium.

If you would like tickets, I may have access to the exclusive club seats ($225/ticket).

(Almost) Nothing About the Packers Here!

"Green Bay's Wetlands"

There's a football team that plays in Green Bay, but I'm not going to write about them. Instead I'll share some of the other things which Green Bay is associated with - notably, outdoor activity. Green Bay is (surprisingly) a beautiful place to visit, with several distinct and unusual parks and wildlife refuges. Green Bay is an important place for migratory waterfowl flying up and down the North American corridor, and it is heartening to see that efforts have been made to preserve and extend wetlands habitat for a variety of creatures. If we as a society are going to be truly serious about protecting our environment, we need to be concerned not only about "wild places" like Yellowstone or Montana, but also - especially - about less dramatic but no less significant features like the wetlands of the upper Midwest.

Green Bay lies at the point where the Fox River enters into "Green Bay." The Fox River has a high concentration of paper mills, which can never be "neutral" in regards to environmental pollution. Fortunately, however, there's been a recognition that the local area is too important to be wasted, so the region is dotted with a variety of local, regional, and statewide parks and wildlife refuges. Some of these are funded by the paper companies themselves. It may be "conscience money," but even so, they should be commended for making the effort of giving something back to the natural world which they can't help but otherwise degrade.

Summer storms - in June 2005 I was driving north out of Green Bay on US 41 when I caught a picture of this impressive cumulo-nimbus off to the east.

Comments