444 Highland Drive, Kohler, Wisconsin, 53044, United States

Orbitz.com Travelocity Expedia.com

• zrim's Profile Photo

Five Star Resort

Very expensive, but a top notch resort. Several fine restaurants, beautiful landscaping and comfy rooms.

• Kay_C's Profile Photo

The American Club

Unique Quality: The only AAA five diamond resort in the Midwest. The resort is beautiful and cozy. The claim to fame is the Kohler products in the room - every room has at least a KOHLER Whirlpool Bath - a real treat. Plus down comforters - great for a winter evening in Wisconsin!

More about The American Club

For A Taste of the Elite, Stay at...

by deecat about The American Club Resort

Right up front, I want to say that Allan and I could not afford to stay at The American Club today. Our daughter Jill was about eight when we went, and she took a friend with her. It was a special deal.

The first thing that I noticed about The American Club is how much it values heritage and tradition. The lawns and gardens are artfully designed and maintained, and native prairie plants and elaborate foliage from English formal gardens are used. Every aspect of this lovely resort denotes gracious living. Each room is different as is each bathroom. Since the Kohler family owns it, you can just imagine the bathroom fixtures. (For those of you who do not know, Kohler Company is foremost in bathroom fixtures.)

Each time new products come out, they are used in the constantly changing and updated bathrooms. Our bathroom was antique-looking with a top pull chain. The Shower was incredible with five different environments such as a rainforest. The room was large and lovely with quality antiques and impeccable taste.

What The American Club is most famous for is its restaurants and eating areas. (See Restaurant tip for specifics)

I will say, we were quite impressed with The Greenhouse that serves only desserts. It is actually like a greenhouse but made of stained glass. The philosophy is: "We keep the custom from the great manors and hotels of Europe who have a tradition of pausing after the entree. As if to separate two different experiences, dessert is delayed."

The American Club accommodates that custom by having a cloistered walkway that leads you to The Greenhouse. Inside, you are surrounded by beauty...glass, greenery, twinkling lights, dark oak, and black wrought iron. Within the courtyard gardens, amid the splendor of the stained glass, you are able to order delicious desserts. A truly decadent experience.

From 1918 until 1978, It Housed Immigrants

by deecat about The American Club in Kohler, Wisconsin

The American Club was constructed in 1918 as a residence hall for the single men who worked for Kohler Company, a leading manufacturer of plumbing products and generator sets. Most of these immigrants were from northern Europe.

Walter Kohler was the third son of the founder and also president of the company. He was the one who came up with the idea; he wanted it to help Americanize these men. And that is why he called it The American Club!

At that time, there were huge kitchens that prepared large quantities of food that were based on recipes from the homelands that were being served. The dining Hall is now The Wisconsin Room. The tap room then is now the Horse & Plow.

They had a bowling alley, reading rooms, player-piano and Victrola for the men.
In 1925, the north end wing was added for more sleeping rooms and a pub. This all worked well until about 1978 when it had "outlived its purpose."
At that time, it was placed on The National Register of Historic Places. It was empty, desolate, and rundown.

Then, Herbert V. Kohler, Jr., grandson of the founder of Kohler Company, decided to turn it into a world-class resort. It took a long time because they wanted to ensure the historical integrity of this place. Today, The American Club has earned numerous awards and has been placed on lists with the most reknown resorts.

Once again, it is a home filled with hospitality, good food, but now it caters to those who pursue a gracious lifestyle.

I consider the one time that we stayed there to be one of the most satisfying of my travel experiences.

The American Club offers great...

by Howilli

The American Club offers great accomodations and tremendous service. I really enjoyed my stay at the only 5 diamond resort in the Midwest.

Perfect Place to Relax

by TripAdvisor Member EaganTraveler

After flying into Milwaukee and renting a car, my wife and I drove the one hour to the American Club to celebrate her belated birthday. The drive up highway 43 is uneventful putting you in Kohler within one hour. We stopped at the Woodlake Market (the only shopping in the Village of Kohler), as we entered the village of Kohler, which offers an upscale deli and wine selection to pick up a few snacks for the room. Next to the Kohler design center which is definitely worth a look even if you have no plans to purchase Kohler products. The center has three levels; lower level a great history of the Kohler Co., main level has every Kohler product available, and the top level displays 25 kitchen and bathrooms, many functional giving you the true Kohler experience. Checked into the American Club and found our way throught the heated/enclosed walkways to our room. Due to the steps, it may be worth $5 to have a bellman take your bags to your room or locate some of the elevators that help out some. Our room was a nice size and well decorated. Very comfortable bed, lots of pillows, magazines to read, dimmer switched bedside lamps,and a view of one of the courtyards. This was a standard room and thus did not have the large bathroom with high end Kohler products. The bathroom was small with a standard sized jacuzzi tub and nice bath products. If you want a two person tub, you need to reserve a Superior room. Took the complimentary Kohler shuttle service and toured the Waelderhaus, a replica of Mr. Kohler's Austrian home. Even in the winter the American Club provides tours of the American Club and Kohler plant, wine tasting, gourmet dinners with their chefs and many other activities in addition to the spa. The American club provides complimentary tea and cookies in the afternoon as well as coffee and tea in the morning. In addition, they offer free pressing of clothes, shoe shines and turndown service. Front office sent a complimentary bottle of champagne to our room to celebrate my wife's birthday. Nice touch. You have numerous dining options and we selected the Wisconsin room. Lovely room with good food yet a little more attention to detail is needed. The ice cream parlor room is delightful for morning coffee and great cinnamon crumb cake or go for the full breakfast in the Wisconsin room. The staff is always willing to assist you and provided excellent service. Concierge was knowledgable and provide directions to the Kohler State Park, a short 5 miles from Kohler, where you can walk the shore of Lake Michigan. A very beautiful spot. While others may not agree, we found the American Club offered upscale service in a relaxed atmosphere with fine accomodations and food. We will definitely return.

Very Elegant

by TripAdvisor Member rcmjr

Stayed at the American Club for three nights and highly recommend the hotel. The rooms were clean and comfortable with classy furnishings and Kohler equipped baths. The interior of the hotel has a clubby feel with lots of dark woodwork and tasteful antiques. There are many private nooks for a quiet read. The hallways are a bit confusing, but it is a joy to wonder around.

Kohler itself is quiet but the nearby golf is outstanding. This hotel is 15 mins from Whistling Straits and 5 mins from Blackwolf Run. All 4 courses are outstanding, with the highlight being the Straits course.

Go here for a refined get-away or golf outing or both.

Disappointed

This was my second stay at the American Club and both times I have been disappointed - not what I expected from a five-star resort. I find the people working at the resort to be very cold. On two occasions I have been unhappy with the service. Once room service forgot our meal entirely and the second bad experience was at the River Wild restaurant/hunt club. The food was extremly over-priced for just an average meal. I find the resort to be extremly over-priced. The rooms are small and the service is average. The resort is certainly not comparable to other 5 star resorts.

Not a five star resort

Not sure how American Club got the five-star rating, but it is not a five-star resort. The rooms and the hotel itself are average, and, although we did not have one of the more expensive rooms, the bathroom was no nicer than a Marriot. The service from the bellman, front desk, concierge was great, but the service in the restaurants and bars was not up to par at all. We became so used to being ignored by the wait staff that we were grateful the two times we received service we would get at any other restaurant.

The spa was tremendous, but way overpriced.

We definitely would not return.

Wonderful Place to Stay

We absolutely loved the American Club. Our only regret is that we only were able to stay two nights. The hotel itself is just beautiful - very refined, gracious, not over done in any way. Rooms are comfortable and nicely furnished and very clean. Dining was just wonderful! Wished we could have stayed longer just to enjoy the wonderful food. The hotel had a nice little courtyard area where we sat and read. The hotel offered a behind the scenes hotel tour and we took that...went in the kitchen, got to sample some pastries, went to the laundry, absolutely fascinated. My husband and I also took the Kohler factory tour. I recommend this to anyone visiting this area. It was so insightful, informative, fun.

The American ClubThe American Club

The Wisconsin Room at The American ClubThe Wisconsin Room at The American Club

One of Public Rooms at The American ClubOne of Public Rooms at The American Club

The Ultimate Wisconsin Road Trip

by jakestimp

Hi, my wife and I are planning a vacation for the two of us this summer, and right now it's a toss-up between a mountain-soaking visit to Colorado or a relaxing, roaming road trip across my home state of Wisconsin. I've lived in Wisconsin my whole life, so I've seen a lot of the state. To be honest, I'm bored of it and need to realize why Wisconsin wasn't given to the Canadians. We want to take in the state, fall in love, and walk away with a road trip that says, "This is Wisconsin." We plan on doing mostly camping and popping into hotels as we find them.

So, what cities, festivals, parks, museums, and other sights should we make sure we include to get that Wisconsin feel? Any suggestions would be helpful.

RE: The Ultimate Wisconsin Road Trip

by Tom_In_Madison

BlueMounds SP 20 minutes sw of Madison has a pool, and mtn biking trails.
Cement park in Phillips.
Chocolate festival in Burlington
CowChip festival in Sauk Prairie
Festa Italiana in Milw, 3rd weekend in July
Houdini Museum
Sun Prairie Corn festival in August.
Have a drink at Wolski's in Milw.
Tour Miller brewing, Lakefront Brewery & Sprecher in Milw-all in 1 day.
Get your picture taken in the big fish in Hayward
Have a drink at the spy bar in Milw, can't think of the name right now
Goto Devils lake and camp, bike, hike, boat, etc... and then hit the Dells & Ho-Chunk.

You're right, we are pretty boring.

RE: The Ultimate Wisconsin Road Trip

by apuleuis

Take the ferry to Rock Island in Door County. Come to Green Bay if you are at all a Packers fan. Wisconsin Dells of course. Visit a cheese factory, its pretty cool seeing cheese curds made. Go to a brewery. See Lake michigan lighthouses. Go to the Milwaukee Art museum. Stay a night at the American Club in Kohler. Visit the state capital. Thats all I can think of for now.

RE: RE: The Ultimate Wisconsin Road Trip

by apuleuis

The spy bar in Milwaukee is called the Safehouse (maybe Safe House) I was there, it had a great atmosphere.

Re: The Ultimate Wisconsin Road Trip

by rdney99

I would suggest a ride along Hwy. 33 west of Baraboo to LaCrosse, taking in the beautiful vistas, and rolling hills, and historic small towns of the Coulee region- also maybe stop at an Amish farm for quilts and maple syrup. This ride is what I consider the "real" Wisconsin. Other places worth seeing are Mineral Point and New Glarus for their ethnic and cultural- old European atmosphere, Point is Cornish, looks like a village in England, and New Glarus very Swiss, if you didn't know. Northwoods are beautiful, but all looks the same. Yes, in places, WI is boring, but also plenty to see if you get off the beaten path. - Tony

Comments