Located at the corner of Third and Mississippi streets (in La Crosse), was established in 1858 by John Gund and Gottlieb Heileman. The premises consists of the brewery proper, malt house, ice-house and bottling department, all of stone, and erected at a liberal outlay. At first, but a limited quantity of beer was placed upon the market compared with the amount now annually brewed, but as years came and went the demand increased and the product augmented proportionately.
The partnership of Gund and Heileman continued until 1872, when the same was dissolved by the retirement of Mr. Gund, at which period the amount of beer had increased from 500 barrels in 1860, to 3,000. In 1878, Mr. Heileman deceased, after which the business was conducted by Reinhard Waecker on behalf of the widow surviving, although the firm name remained unchanged. During the past year, 7,170 barrels of beer have been brewed in the compounding of which 17,295 bushels of malt and 9,560 pounds of hops were used, giving employment to twelve men and three boys, at an annual compensation of $7,200. The goods are shipped to all points in the Northwest, and the investment is valued at many thousand dollars
*The City Brewery has continuously operated on the very same site since its founding in 1858.
*When the brewery was incorporated as the G. Heileman Brewing Company in 1890, Johanna Heileman became one of the first women presidents of a corporation in the United States. She remained active in the business until her death in 1917
*With Prohibition in 1920, the brewery switched its production to near beer, sodas and malt extract.
While you're there take the Free Brewery Tour.
1111 S. 3rd Street.
Monday thru Saturday, 11 a.m- 5 p.m.
Also outside of brewery is the worlds largest 6-pack. Need to get a photo of this one