Lodge at Geneva Ridge

TripAdvisor Traveler Rating
Based on 371 reviews
Orbitz.com Expedia.com
crabbypinchy's Profile Photo

Hotel ok, but do not eat there

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 6, 2015

We stayed here for Thanksgiving evening (2014), since I wanted a cozy getaway for our family of 4. I purchased a Groupon, which was ok. They do tack on a resort fee at the end...and I think it's for everyone, not just the Groupon folks. It's a decent hotel The front desk lady was nice enough, so no complaints there. We all just needed sleep so the hotel gave us what we needed.

THE FOOD--On a holiday, you are better off going to Cracker Barrel over by I-94.

The dining establishment here is called the Lakeview Grille. Although VT listS this hotel as the name above (Lodge at Geneva Ridge), Groupon and search engines also list it as Geneva Ridge Resort. I honestly am sharing this so that you save yourself from an overpriced horrible meal. This was my review on Yelp:

We got fleeced. Thanksgiving brunch buffet, 2014.

Advertised: $32.95/ adult
Total bill (4 adults): $165.40

Subtotal: $131.80
Gratuity: $26.36
WI Sales Tax: $7.24

I will add that service was great. But all they did was clear our plates and refill water because everything, including coffee and the spiced cider, was self serve.

This was almost the bill of a brunch at the signature room in Chicago, WITH fresh and superb food. For what we paid, the food was horribly sub-par. Driving home, I went down the list and asked everyone their impressions on the food (only what was tried). ONLY the spiced cider was worth seconds, but nothing was fantastic. The food did not taste what a bill of $165.40 should taste like.

Mixed Green Salad with Pumpkin Seeds, Goat Cheese, cranberry vinaigrette
Cranberry Glazed Pork Loin
Slow Roasted Tom Turkey with natural gravy
Aged cheddar au gratin potatoes
Garlic Whipped Yukon Potatoes
Caramelized Fall vegetables
Pan roasted root vegetable with chestnut & apples
Warm rolls and butter
House made cranberry sauce
Apple pie
Pecan Pie
Dark Truffles

Butternut Squash Soup
Sausage and Sage Stuffing (it was dry)
Pumpkin Pie
Green Bean Casserole

Cucumbers from salad station
Italian Dressing (slight drizzle)
Honey baked Ham (tasted overly processed)
Dark Cherry Compote (came from a can) for cheesecake
Apple bread pudding (biggest disappointment of all--dry, flavorless)

A bill that large should have great food. Nothing pisses me off more than wasting my money on bad food. Charge me more, but make sure it is great food. I choose better over cheaper and sub-par.

And $26 for gratuity???? It was a self serve buffet. We even had to serve ourselves the coffee and spiced cider. All they did was retrieve the plates and refill water. That was worth almost another person's buffet seat? In their defense, they did post on the website that they'd charge 20% gratuity and staff were very nice.

If we return to Lake Geneva for Thanksgiving next year, we're eating at cracker barrel. Half the price for delicious food. Hell, I'll tip the waitperson the $26 for her good service.

Nearby Lodge at Geneva Ridge

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Airport Transportation

Lake Geneva Travel Forum

Need advice about Lake Geneva, Wisconsin? Visit the Travel Forum for Lake Geneva and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Lake Geneva hotel reviews