Comfort Inn & Suites Madison

Orbitz.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Costs 42% more than similarly rated 2 star hotels

More about Madison

SunsetSunset

Sacred Indian burial along the way to Picnic pointSacred Indian burial along the way to Picnic point

At Wisconsin Department of Public InstructionAt Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction

a walk in the woodsa walk in the woods

Inexpensive Lodging?

by LauraWest

I have trips plans with my 18 yr. old daughter to visit Madison for a long weekend in late Sept., our first trip (except when I was a teenager myself, many, many yrs. ago). Advice on a good, low cost place to stay, in the center of it all? We won't have a car. Don't want to spend more than $60 a nite, if possible.

RE: Inexpensive Lodging?

by ellielou

you may want to try a search on something like kayak.com or expedia or travelocity on hotels. kayak will let you know how far you'll be from the center, although, as you know, Madison is not all that huge.

good luck.

RE: RE: Inexpensive Lodging?

by AndieS

Hello-
You may also want to try the website vistmadison.com. http://www.visitmadison.com/
This site offers a breakdown of hotels and lodging by region of the city. Most listings have the direct link to the hotel so you can check out the ammenities, prices and most of the listings have pictures. On this site, you can also do a search based on your travel dates in Madison to get a list of events that are going on while you are there.
Actually having a car in Madison can sometimes be a hinderance since parking in certain areas of the city can be a bear. If you find yourselves staying a little farther away from the places you would like to visit there are a number of affordable options to get around. On the Visit Madison site there is a link to bus information.
Since Madison is a smaller city taxicabs are quite also quite affordable. I would suggest looking at Badger Cab Company which is a shared taxi service.
Their site explains how their taxi service works and has a fare calculator.
Most taxis are not just driving around the city and to get service, you must call them and have them pick you up. If you do not have a cell phone, most places (resturants, stores, etc.) are willing to call them for you.
Have a great trip!
Andie

RE: RE: Inexpensive Lodging?

by LauraWest

thanks, Andie & Ellie! I hadn't heard about the visit Madison site, so I'll certainly look at it. Thanks for all your advice!

Travel Tips for Madison

Halloween Debauchery

by mean_green_leftovers

Usually the nearest Saturday to Halloween State St. literally fills with drunken costumed revelers. This is an amazing event where all cross streets are blocked and nearly 60,000 people fill the six blocks from the capital to Library Mall. It is a lot of fun and a huge draw for non-natives and natives alike, however there are a few problems associated with it. There have been threats by the city to stop this party because some disrespectful losers think that this is ticket to trash our fine city. The majority of incidents are caused by out-of-towners. If you come to this party please don't break windows or throw things. We don't want to give the police a reason to use the pepper spray and we certainly don't want this tradition to be killed. Think of it like going to someone's house party and breaking their television because it would be funny.

Local words revisited

by mean_green_leftovers

As far as the "bubbler" and "stop and go" word go, these are not necessarily what you will hear. I live here and do not use these terms. Madison is kind of a melting pot of lingo as we have a large university population that is constantly in flux.

What you might hear.

Bubbler, drinking fountain, water fountain

Stop light, signal, stop and go

Tyme, ATM

Brangus is right on when it comes to the street names, which can be rather confusing, especially since the Madison street system is a maze of one ways to mystify the visitor.

As far as frozen custard and ice cream go, I am pretty sure that there is a difference between the two, although I could be mistaken.

P.S. Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream is the bomb. Try the Fat Elvis

House on the Rock. During the...

by Aragina

House on the Rock. During the 1940's, a man named Alex Jordan discovered a 60-foot chimney of rock in the beautiful Wyoming Valley. It was then he decided to build a house on the sandstone formation called Deer Shelter Rock. Jordan built the house as a weekend retreat and never intended it to be a tourist attraction. However, people kept coming to see the architectural wonder they had heard about. Jordan eventually started asking for 50 cent donations. Alex was a collector all his life and enjoyed visiting museums; however, he did not want The House on the Rock to be a museum. He intended it to be much more than that. Though parts of the collections could have easily found their way into museums, The House on the Rock is more of a trip through the wild and fantastic imagination of Alex Jordan than a visit to a dusty, lifeless museum.From awe-inspiring to mystifying, The House on the Rock is home to a myriad of fascinating exhibits. The collection includes whimsical carousels, enormous sea creatures, fascinating music machines and so much more. Try not to rush around the House as there is so much that you can miss, and I was sorry I managed only to spend one day there.I did go to the gift shop and buy some very special little gifts, do try to go it would be sad to miss it. Also the freinds I went with follwed me around the house all day and every time I turned around I had a camera pointing in my direction , I really hate that, I really do. Now I know how celebreties feel :-(.

Good Nepalese Food

by Babzz about Himal Chuli

The food was tasty, LOTS of vegetarian options. The decor is nice. Staff quite friendly. The restaurant seems very popular. It was very busy. My only qualm is that it is very small with the tables close together. It's a place for a quick meal and then you're out. Cash only (in Jan 2008).

Disappointing

by kuhakakai about Soleil

This is an inexpensive partner of the expensive and, reputedly, famous, great restaurant, upstairs, called L'Etoile.
We've tried it twice, however, in 3 years. The first trip was apparently forgetable, because I have. So, we went back thinking we'd never been there. We ate a turkey sandwich, and found it was dry, and dull. We wont be back. Havent found one.

Comments