Doubletree Hotel Madison

525 West Johnson Street, (formerly Howard Johnson), Madison, Wisconsin, 53703, United States
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Madison
Travelocity Expedia.com Priceline.com

More about Madison

SunsetSunset

Picnic PointPicnic Point

USA by my virtual friend KatUSA by my virtual friend Kat

The State Capital Building of WisconsinThe State Capital Building of Wisconsin

Anyone recommend a spa in Madison?

by scattyc

Hello all,
Its my mother-in-laws 50th birthday soon and we would like to treat her to a special day at a spa in Madison,which is where she lives. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I have looked on the internet but its difficult to tell what the spas are like from websites. Thanks for your ideas/help.
ScattyC

RE: Anyone recommend a spa in Madison?

Do you mean Madison, Wisco??? If so:

Cameo Day Spa...10 W Mifflin seems to be popular, a more upscale choice I bet. Downtown and right across from the Capitol, but probably a bit pricier than others.

Oasis Day Spa (www.yourdayspa.com) is on the west side (Watts Rd), and has a nice ad in the phone book.

I've never been to either, I'm not a spa kinda guy. ;)

RE: RE: Anyone recommend a spa in Madison?

by scattyc

Thanks Tom,
Going with the Cameo Spa...it looks perfect. Thanks for the info.
So,your not a spa guy? More of a beer and braut guy,I bet... isn't that a requirement living in Madison,Wi? ;-)
Thanks again!

RE: RE: Anyone recommend a spa in Madison?

by Tom_In_Madison

That's probably the best choice, she'll like it.

beer and veggie brats actually. ;)

Travel Tips for Madison

The Onion - Satire

by Tom_In_Madison

Maybe you've seen the on-line satirical website and radio program that mocks everything and everyone. (I saw it on sale at a Borders Book Store in Scotland last year) That was started here in the late '80s by a couple guys. It started as an 8 page weekly newspaper, and you can find it at locations around town, in kiosks and in a bundle in the doorway of coffeshops, etc...The new issue comes out every wednesday afternoon. free.

More lingo - ramps, streets, and attractions

by taco_mel

"ramp" = parking garage

Here's the story - A friend was at the airport and there was a sign "no parking in ramp." He parked in a parking space in a flat area of the parking garage and got a parking ticket. The officer pointed at the sign. My friend thought this meant no parking on the incline. Officer was not sympathetic.

"coliseum" or "dane county coliseum" = Alliant Energy Center, for those who haven't bought into the new corporate sponsorship naming scheme.

"interstate" without a number = I-90 (south of town) or I-90/94 (north of town). Unless it's "interstate to Milwaukee" in which case it's I-94. Technically I-39 and I-90 are the same road around Madison but I-39 is never referred to.

P.S. I call a drinking fountain a "bubbler" only to make fun of those who seriously call a drinking fountain a "bubbler".

The House On The Rock; Spring...

by fotobug

The House On The Rock; Spring Green. A unique house built high on and around a rock, over looking a georgeous valley below. Other buildings onsite with unusual collections of 'stuff', including huge calliopes, merry-go-rounds, streets of yesteryear, etc. etc. Hundreds of thousands of visitors every year. Plan on spending most of the day. Well worth the visit.

Better ask!

by kuhakakai about Abuelos

We live nearby and have eaten often at Abuelos. We never thought you were supposed to ask what kind of oil they use. We knew it wasnt slimming food. But online, they had some $5 discount coupons, so we went often. Recently, we saw a documentary film about genetically modified foods. It featured a restaurant owner saying it was only when customers started asking him about GM foods that he went out and educated himself. So, in this case, we asked first what kind of oil was used. It was butter, we were told, mixed with margarine. The spinach and cheese side dish tasted strongly of butter, and we dont eat much butter, for our cardiovascular health. Then we talked to the manager, who told us olive oil is much more expensive, but we could ask for it, in the future. The vegetarian fajitas are cooked in butter and margarine, too. We're very sorry we didnt ask on our first trip, but we never ask that, at restaurants. We assume they use an inexpensive vegetable oil, which, we realize, may not be the healthiest type either. It could have palm oil, for example. Soy and corn oils are now usually GM. We've read a book or two on this subject and want to avoid it, tho we know you'd almost have to eat at home exclusively to do so, and eat organic. We will say Abuelos has beautiful murals, a lovely ambience, decor, service, and tasty food. The manager did spend plenty of time with me and seemed to care about keeping our business. Costco is nearby and they give 10% discounts to members. Beef enchiladas and papas con queso.

When you win the lottery blow it on food!

by julieuzi about L'Etoile

This restuarant has everything you expect it to have based on the cost of the meal. Knowledgable wait-staff do not pressure or judge you but offer excellent suggestions. It has a clean, comfortable atmosphere, linens on the tables and a spectacular menu based on local and fresh ingredients.

If you plan on just an entree then cost will be $21-$35. If you do it right, save your pennies and make a night of eating there...get appetizers, entrees, desserts and pair it all with wine, icewine and digestif; then the cost is unlimited but could run about $125 per person and up.

Comments