4726 East Washington Avenue, Madison, Wisconsin, 53704, United States

Allen Centennial GardensAllen Centennial Gardens

The trailThe trail

clothing shop - Bali & Soulclothing shop - Bali & Soul

Visitor CenterVisitor Center

I'm moving to Madison from Los Angeles........maybe....

by sonall

Hello there!

I live in Los Angeles, CA. I will be traveling to Madison, WI the week of August 24 for a job interview -- so I hope to moving there in the VERY near future. I have a daughter who will be needing a good middle school. So, if anyone can give me some info. on the schools and neighborhoods there, I would REALLY appreciate it. Also, anything I shouldn't miss on my trip next week?

Thanks so much!

Re: I'm moving to Madison from Los Angeles........maybe....

by kosalof

HI. I live just east of Madison, in Waukesha. The Madison Public Schools are very good, and Madison has been ranked as a good place to live in national polls. My sister in-law lives in the Fitchburg area...very nice there, including Oregon, Potosi, Stoughton, etc.

There are many nice things to do in Madison. Enjoy the summer weather and scenery....you can tour the capitol, try Ella's Deli on East Washington Ave. (a fun place for lunch or dinner...can't miss the carousel in the front!)...there are the lakes (Mendota and Menona)...museums...State Street for bars, cafe's and shopping....

Let me know if I can help you any further...email me and I will be happy to! I have been to Madison sooo many times and have friends/relatives who live there!

Re: Re: I'm moving to Madison from Los Angeles........maybe....

by sonall

Thank you very much for taking the time to give me such great ideas!! That deli idea sounds terrific, especially because the hotel I'm staying at is on E. Washington. I can't wait to try it!

As for neighborhoods, we have been looking at houses in Madison on the internet. One of the areas that I seem to love all the houses in is Fitchburg, so I probably will be taking a ride there to look at some homes. We also liked the houses in Middleton.

I really am so excited to get there. Everything that I've read and seen makes it look like the perfect place to be. I've lived in Los Angeles all my life and it is definitely btime for a change!

Thanks again for your help.

Re: Re: I'm moving to Madison from Los Angeles........maybe....

by kosalof

East Towne Mall is also on E. Wash, and if you continue east and cross over the freeway, you will be in Sun Prairie, which is smaller and has some nice restaurants, etc.

Fitchburg is very nice. There is a Spanish restaurant there called La Paella. It is a growing community!

Let me know if you need any other assistance. I will be happy to help!

Travel Tips for Madison

Wander State Street! The best...

by Teledude

Wander State Street! The best people watching, drinking beer, eating great food and carousing in Wisconsin! Roaming the streets while school is in session, going to Badgers Football games. Going to large out of control college parties. It was a lot like Animal House!

Mexican Fiesta

by Travel2write

Sights and sounds from south of the border travel north each summer to Milwaukee's Summerfest grounds for Mexican Fiesta. Highlights include mariachi bands, dancing to Tex-Mex rhythms, yelling and dancing contests, a jalapeƱo pepper-eating contest and low-rider car hopping. Henry W. Meier Festival Park

.Aug. 27-29, Milwaukee

Go back to the '60's

by Tom_In_Madison

Willy (Williamson) St Fair

3rd weekend in September. location: 800 - 1100 blocks of Williamson St.

Madisons best street fair. If you want to know how Madison was during the 60's, just show up at this and you'll find out. Like going thru a time-warp. Peace, love, organic veggie-burgers, music, kids stage, food, and believe it or not--beer. At noon is a parade and anyone can be in it, just walk in and march along with everyone one--just follow the bubble-car.

Best burrito from a food cart

by Tom_In_Madison about Burrito Loco

I've been going here for a while now, and this is the best food cart, and best Mexican food cart on the square.

The Capitol Square has about 9 food carts scattered around it, mostly during lunch (and special occasions) and 3 are selling some sort of Mexican food. This one, though not the prettiest food cart, does serve up the best burritos.

$5 for a huge tasty burrito. Bean burrito - $5

All burritos come with lettuce, cheese, tomatoes and rice. The also have chicken and beef--both for $5. And a few other things.

Everything is to-go of course. Take it and walk over to the Capitol lawn and eat, or take it and walk the block and a half to the Monona Terrace Convention Center roof-top and find a table overlooking Lake Monona...shouldn't be hard because this is aways deserted over lunchhour and it's huge. This is what I do once a week, so relaxing and peaceful and quiet. Hard to remember you're in a city.

They're open roughly 11am - 3pm, and not there in Dec - Feb usually.

Lulu's

by julieuzi about Lulu's Mediterranean

Lulu's is a delightful place. The waitstaff is good and the atmosphere is comfortable. Cloth material drapes from the ceiling and there are books scattered around for you to enjoy. If you ask you can sit at a table with cushioned seats and a cloth door to close to the rest of the restuarant for privacy. Shawarma

Comments