1109 Fourier Drive, Madison, Wisconsin, 53717, United States

Costs 41% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Madison West

Not what we expected....

by TripAdvisor Member MomfromRocktown

We walked in and the hotel lobby was amazing. Very nice. Then things went a little downhill.

We booked a "block" of rooms with the hotel. We were under the assumption, as told by the staff, that we would all be on the same floor. The four rooms we had were on all different floors. A bit of a hassel but not the end of the world.

The rooms were ok except one of the rooms we requested was a children's suite. On the webiste and the info book in the room stated there would be a nintendo game system and 2 VCR's in the room. There was not. There was one VCR in the kids section and it did not work. In fact, it broke my tape. When we called the front desk to ask about the game system they said they didn't have them. The bunk bed was terrible. I am glad I brought my youngest a packnplay to sleep in because the top bunk wasn't on correctly. You could move it up and down....it didn't appear to be safe. There also was not a bathtub in the children's suite. It was a nice sized walk in shower but not all kids will take showers. This was not a problem for us but I can see how it might be for others. I am also glad I brought my own hairdryer as the one they provided blew up when I attempted to use it. It started smoking and burning.

The rooms did have nice pillows though. You could also call the front desk and request different kinds of pillows. I thought this was a nice touch.

The waterpark was not exactly what we were expecting but it was nice. Not a huge area for adults to swim in, it was geared more towards kids, they all seemed to have a great time. The section for the smaller kids was not very warm, I saw quite a few little ones shivering. They did have a large hot tub though...probably would fit 15-20 people. They had a dinner buffet that came with the water park pass....they did not have enough food for everyone. It was insane. They had an arcade for the kids also.

There was a breakfast buffet offered. It was much better than the standard continental breakfast you get many places but it wasn't free either. They had a bit of a problem keeping food stocked but all in all it was ok.

We attempted to address some of our problems but the staff did not go out of their way to help or fix the problem. Honestly, for the cost of the rooms, I don't think we will be making a return visit.

Fun for the entire family

by TripAdvisor Member IUgambler

This hotel is in Middleton which is a great little subburb of Madison. The hotel is nice for families with small children. Our three kids (ages 7, 5, and 2) loved the pool area. The big slide was perfect for the 7 year-old. We were allowed to go down the slide with our 2 year-old and she loved it. All of our kids enjoyed the pool area and it wasn't crowded at all. The food in the hotel was fine. The kids eat free at holiday inns and the breakfast buffet was worth it. All five of us ate as much breakfasy as we wanted and the total bill was less than $20.

But don't stay at the hotel. The shopping malls and restaurants near the hotel were great. The Boston's pizza and the Irish pub were fantastic. I recommend this hotel for families with small children or anyone who wants to explore a new town then give this hotel a try.

Nice hotel for the price

by TripAdvisor Member bluzgrl07

My family and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights this past week during our vacation. The hotel itself was beautiful and very clean in the rooms and throughout the hotel. We requested a room with a kids suite, which was very nice. We had a patio that overlooked the pool area and that was wonderful! Gave us another place for us to hang out, if you wanted to sit in the humidity of the pool. The room was very nice, but was missing a few "normal" things that I would expect from a Holiday Inn.... the television did not work well, we were missing washcloths and the beds were not very comfortable. The pool area was nice, but the gate to get into the pool area was very sticky (felt like they covered the steel with used gum) and the chlorine level seemed high in the pool. We did not take advantage of the "kids eat free" because they only had room service or plate breakfasts from George's Steakhouse. But overall, a very nice stay.

Very Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member toddang

We went with such high expectations. A waterpark, a kids suite with bunk beds. Sounded great. Even when arrived it looked great - the lobby is beautiful. Then they charged us $10 more than we thought we had booked because we had an "extra" adult in the party (there were two of us and two kids but Holiday Inn charges for each additional adult after the first adult??!!!). Then we went to our room that overlooked the "waterpark". There was a lot of noise and there was a birthday party right outside our door - there are tables outside the room overlooking the "waterpark". Then we went to the "waterpark" which is basically one very small and very short slide. The the pool area is so small you can't swim in it because it is so crowded. And the hot tub, although quite large, is luke warm and packed with people - see previous comment on small pool with no place to swim and boring water slide.
Then we went back to our room. Our ventilation system kept shutting off and turning on in like 2 second intervals. We called and they told us to put our card in the slot. We did and the ventillation system came on and wouldn't shut off - our room became freezing even though the thermostat was set to 78 degrees. A guy who couldn't speak English was sent up to "fix" the thermostat, but after three times coming up - he frowned and said he would go down and get the original buttons for the unit. You see this hotel still has the old in wall units that blow air at your head all night like you find in motels. The thermostat system is supposed to fix that but again, ours was broken. We were offered another room "at the opposite side of the hotel" but we were too tired and went to bed. It was then my wife discovered that the bunk beds didn't have sheets on them so she had to make the beds - not happy. Then after the lights were out we learned from our kids that the bunk bed mattresses were like bricks and the pillows were also like rocks. And to top it off the bunk beds were loose so every time our kids moved the beds swayed and our kids would hit their heads on the walls. Well suffice it to say we didn't sleep well with the ventilation system blowing luke warm air at our heads until I finally shut it off. When we got up the next morning the room was 81 degrees, hot stuffy and disgusting. Lucky for us the "waterpark" opened up at 8 AM so the noise just picked up again. We did get some money back, but mostly the staff was not very nice.

Fiona Feedback's Review of Holiday Inn West

by TripAdvisor Member FionaFeedback

ACCOMMODATIONS: NICE. On the 1 to 10 scale with 10 being the best, Fiona's family gives it a 8. The rooms are very narrow, but high ceiling in our room (we liked this). Many rooms have a patio straight out to the indoor pool/water park, which is a major benefit if you have children. STAFF: Scores, about a 7. Fiona is picky and has high standards for how customers should be treated. Staff was generally friendly. Room service staff was excellent. We phoned guest services and shared our concern that the pool hours changed without notice, and instead of empathy received rationalization and the direction of fault to us because we didn't read a letter in the hotel guide book in the room. This information probably should have been delivered verbally upon check-in as it caused problems to the family schedule for the day as the pool opened at 10am instead of 8am (as listed in the "pool hours"). CLEANLINESS: Scores a 7. PRICE: Moderate ($100-$150). OVERALL, would recommend to a friend. Suggest request a room on the second floor with patio access to the pool. Room service menu was excellent and extremely reasonably priced. Location on the West side of Madison is great. If you want a water park experience only - go to Wisconsin Dells. However, for little toddlers - this is perfect. It is the only "water park" experience in Madison. It's a small water park with a few toddler slides and one larger slide that requires swimming skills. The poolside bar was never open while we were there, but there were tables to gather and eat poolside. If you are traveling on business in Madison, stay downtown where you can walk to restaurants. The West side is not "walker-friendly", so you will need to drive to shop, tour, or explore. FREE INTERNET - a definite plus as who really vacations anymore? My husband and I both worked from our room! The heater/air conditioner was noisy. Our four year old LOVED the hotel.

Great Place to Stay!!

by TripAdvisor Member docwhite17

My wife and I have to stayed nearly everywhere in the Madison area. This Holiday Inn is by far the Best place we have stayed... Great for Family or Business alike, Highly recommended!!

This was one of the better hotel stays I've had in Madison in 15 years!

by TripAdvisor Member ejimieson

My check-in process was short & sweet, friendly & courteous staffers! Hotel appearance was very nice, nice bar area, attached restaurant. My room was clean, smelled wonderful, and was very comfortable. I was able to work in my room, enjoy a movie and chat with my family online prior to bed. Again, check out was seamless, will definitely be back!

Nice quiet stay

by TripAdvisor Member srygiewicz2001

I had a romantic getaway with my partner. The rooms were really clean and the food was amazing. I have recommended this hotel to all of my friends that come here. Next time I am in town I will certainly stay here again!!!

Beautiful Hotel AND great for the kids

by TripAdvisor Member dcb1966

A simple little family event was made great because of the Holdiay Inn. The staff was friendly and great, rooms were clean and comfortable but the highlight was the pool. The mini waterpark was big enough to entertain the kids but not so big that we lost track of them. The kids played all afternoon and had a great time.

The lobby bar is beautiful as well and relaxing to some live piano music was a great way to end the evening. Next time we're in Madison, we will definatley be staying there again.

Five stars from our family!!!!!!

Great place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member petcherKenosha

Had a little trouble getting the rates straight but the manager e-mailed us back right away and straightened it out which we thought was very nice. We got good rates and he was very helpful. It is nice that a company cares for their costumers. The hotel is first class the staff was very friendly also the breakfast was great. The indoor waterpark is really nice. Very clean we will stay again for sure

Comments