Madison Concourse Hotel & Governor's Club

1 West Dayton Street, Madison, Wisconsin, 53703-2582, United States
Madison Concourse Hotel and Governor's Club
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

More about Madison Concourse Hotel & Governor's Club

Lovely Hotel, parking and service not guaranteed

by TripAdvisor Member globaloutlook

We were in Madison for a wedding in which a substantial number of rooms were booked at the Concourse as the wedding reception was to be held there.
Checking in was chaotic.The desk seemed understaffed. We left our car outside and were told that the Concourse lot was full, even though we were hotel guests.When asked, the people at the front desk suggested that we try their lot anyway.They pointed out that parking was not guranteed and that we could try other ramps in the area .We did find parking in their lot but many people in the wedding party were not so lucky. Later we learned that the bride and groom had paid for parking for all in the wedding but the hotel hadn't reserved spots for them.
No one offered to help us with our luggage or bags of gifts as we lugged them from a lower level ramp. In general, I wasn't impressed with the attitude of the hotel personnel.
The room itself was lovely, comfortable and clean with a great view of the capital. The location is superb.

In general, if you are taking a cab in and don't mind indifferent service and shlepping your own bags, this may be the hotel for you.

Convenient

by TripAdvisor Member tandemcha

Just stayed 5 days for a conference. Shuttle from airport was very prompt and front desk check in friendly and quick. Room on 10th floor had refrigerator, somewhat noisy a/c unit. Bed & linens were good. Free wireless internet was rather spotty and kept getting dropped. There is free internet in the business center on the first floor. Nice indoor pool and fitness center. Extremely convenient to the Captiol Square and State Street.

Nice value in great location

by TripAdvisor Member WISCGirl

Stayed at this hotel as part of a convention with room rate of $115 plus $7/night parking. The location was fabulous! The famous Madison farmer's market was right around the corner; State Street with all it's funky shops and restaurants was around the other corner; more museums and other interesting things to do within walking distance. I thought the room (#1026) was oversized with a very comfortable king size bed. Because it was a conference, the staff seemed stretched a bit thin - especially the concierge who was giving out maps and directions. Overall it was a good value for the location!

Small Room, No View

by TripAdvisor Member Three60

I stayed here for a few days in September. It was an enjoyable stay but I did somehow manage to get the smallest room in the hotel (confirmed by the fire escape route map on the back of the hotel room door.) It was big enough for one person but might be tight for two.

Although I was high up (9th Floor) that wasn't high enough to have a view looking north. If you want a view of the Capital, get a room facing south.

I will say that the service is fabulous and the staff are top notch.

Love this place

by TripAdvisor Member Normal Traveler

I loved my stay at the Concourse Governor's Club. Pay a bit more and stay on the Governor's Club floors and you get free drinks, free appetizers, free water in your rooms (yes!) and free dessert at night. I loved my room (I had a view of Lake Mendota on one side and Capital on the other), and the staff was attentive and very friendly. I was also able to use the business center PC at no charge so was able to keep up with work e-mail.

Location is amazing and close to everything downtown.

Bottom line is that I had a great experience here and would definitely stay here again.

Great staff & location

by TripAdvisor Member chrisa2711

I stayed at the Concourse, in the Governor's Club, with a colleague in late September for a weekend convention. I travel a lot on business and I thought the staff at the Concourse was the best I've experienced in 20+ years. They are friendly, professional and responsive. I decided to change my reservation to arrive one day early and since they only had rooms with one bed available for that extra night, I had to change rooms. The front desk was very accomodating in arranging for my luggage to be moved to the new room as soon as it was ready. The first room had only one electrical outlet in the room, but the second room had several so I was able to recharge my phone & laptop and dry my hair all at the same time, while my roommate used the hair dryer in the bathroom. The second room also had a refrigerator, which was handy.

I only used the Lounge one night, but the snacks were plentiful (if a little boring) and the drinks were first-rate. The view of the Capitol was stunning.

The hotel's location was great - State Street is only a block away and there are a slew of good restaurants within 3 blocks of the hotel. The bellmen were great about taking groups of us to off-site parties and in getting cabs when the van was in use.

The convention staff was also very responsive, turning down the faint background music in the ballroom during a charity auction and making sure that the exhibitors' needs were met.

On the down side, I had to try several times to connect to the wireless server, but finally got connected each time. The PCs in the business center off the lobby were very handy for checking email.

All in all, a very pleasant stay.

Too Many Martinis

by TripAdvisor Member CatSchroedinger

My company booked this hotel for a business trip. I would love to come stay here with girlfriends, but for my business trip it was not a good choice.

The location is right downtown which is great if you have business there, but it tended to be a little noisy. The shuttle that took us to our meetings and the airport were old and falling apart, then there was the sign that said "Tips are not mandatory but appreciated". This rubbed me the wrong way, and they got NO tips from me. The shuttles at the Marriott Madison West are much better.

The gym was awful: old equipment, the two treadmills were out of service during most of my stay, no cupholders for water and only one tv. Again, I am comparing this to my recent experience with the Marriott Madison West, and the differences are glaring.

We stayed on the Governor's Club Floor, which has a breakfast buffet containing the usual items: bagels, cereal, juice, coffee. No hot food items. The food was okay, but not great. From 6-10 at night, the Governor's Club serves cocktails and appetizers, with dessert at 9pm. The flavored martinis were delicious, but can get you into trouble. We had apple, raspberry, chocolate, and dirty martinis. Probably not a good idea during a work trip!

The rooms had generic hotel toiletries, nothing exciting, and horrible scratchy small bath towels. The coffee pot was in the actual bathroom, which is gross. I prefer to keep my food/drink prep items in a room that does not contain a toilet. No tea bags in the room, but tea is available from the Governor's Club buffett breakfast. I just took a couple to keep in my room.

Free wi-fi but it was hard to use and i kept getting disconnected.

It was not all bad, as the bed and pillows were very comfortable and on the GOvernor's Club Floors we got nightly turndown service with chocolate and ice in the ice bucket every night. Nice touch.

I would definitely come back to stay with some friends if we wanted to shop downtown and drink martinis all night, but it did not suit my needs as a business traveler.

Loved the Concourse!

by TripAdvisor Member hawkeyegirl

The Madison Concourse is a great hotel, right downtown Madison! You literally walk out the door and State Street and all it has to offer is right there - bars, restaurants, shopping, children's museum!!

I highly recommend staying on the Governor's Club level. The evening cocktail hour is fantastic - top shelf liquors with a round bar and leather chairs and sofas. There is a breathtaking view of the capital to enjoy as you sip your cocktail and unwind. they also bring out fabulous desserts and coffee as the evening goes on. I recommend the pumpkin cheesecake! yum!

Morning breakfast is filling and is a nice start to your day - muffins, danish, fruit, bagels, cereal, juice and great coffee!

Rooms have nice, comfortable bed linens with down duvets. The rooms are very spacious. Only slight drawback is the bathrooms - very basic and could use some updating. But everything is clean and there is alot of counter space! Coffee maker too - which is key!
This is a great business hotel - complimentary wi-fi and a fantastic business center.
I highly recommend the Concourse Hotel!

Can't beat the price

by TripAdvisor Member Angus_Inca

I stayed at the Concourse for two weeks. i booked it as part of a package with flight from SFO on Priceline and got a great price of $53/night. This is tremendous value for this price. I'm not sure where some of the other reviewers were staying but my room is certainly large enough and spotlessly clean. The bed is very comfortable with duvet and comfy pillows. It is very convenient to the center of town and I was able to walk easily to many nice upscale restaurants as well as more

Thin Walls- Could Hear The Neighbors!

by TripAdvisor Member hugs628

This hotel has great location and was clean but at 2 AM we were awakened by the next door guests who just came in their room, and they talked and laughed for an hour and it was like they were standing in OUR room...there must be no insulation or soundproofing in these walls...you could even make out their WORDS!! Very annoying! Otherwise nice hotel, great Sunday brunch at the OVATIONS restaurant in hotel.

Comments