Home of the Great Spirit
"Manitowoc" is an Ojiba word that means "home of the great spirit."
The town (and county) of Manitowoc is a Lake Michigan-oriented place, about 70 miles north of Milwaukee and 50 miles southeast of Green Bay. Ship-building was big here; there's an interesting maritime museum here; and the S.S. Badger, one of the last Lake Michigan auto ferries departed from here on its way to Ludington MI.
The Manitowoc County Courthouse, in the neo-classical style, was opened in 1906. It's the work of German-born architect Christ H. Tegel.
(no, that's not a mis-typing)