WestPort Bed and Breakfast

635 N. Eighth Street, Manitowoc, Wisconsin, 54220, United States

More about Manitowoc

"H" really was his middle initial!"H" really was his middle initial!

Good thing I'm not claustrophobic!Good thing I'm not claustrophobic!

The horizon ahead-Lake Michigan, on the SS BadgerThe horizon ahead-Lake Michigan, on the SS Badger

Travel Tips for Manitowoc

Sailing..Sailing...Over the Ocean (umm Lake) Blue!

by aphrodyte

"Here's a thought--instead of going around the lake"

Let's sail on it!

This is how I pictured it to be. The sun gently rising over the horizon, sea foam licking the ship as it cut through the deep crystal blue waters, the wind caressing your face and whipping your hair into an undignified mess.

I imagined myself at the prow of the ship exulting in the sheer excitement of sailing on board the largest ferry I've ever been on, to date. I imagined myself smiling and dancing and reveling in something I've only dreamt about.

I, like my sister, wanted to capture these precious moments of finally realizing all my youthful fantasies on sailing a large vessel. Swashbuckling pirates, dashing ships captains of an earlier era, sailing under the stars, and saying "ARG! or Avast ye landlubber!"

Unfortunate...that was not the case. My sister took the pictures...like the ones seen here, and I did something entirely different...

"A sailing we will go...a sailing we will go..."

We just got on board and I immediately checked into our cabins. As you can see from our picture the sky was clear, the water was a deep blue, and the winds were curling my hair around my face. Not too turbulent and not overpowering, however we were still docked in Manitowoc and I had not realize that it gets much worse...so...much worse.

"Wait a minute...we're swaying..why are we swaying?"

For the first few minutes after we said good bye to the Manitowoc docks, I was fine. I felt fine. I took some dramamine about an hour and a half before we sailed, and according to the package, that's when it should kick in. I got the extra strength kind, too.

I thought we might tour the ship for a little bit before we went to go get a bite to eat. It was brisk and windy. I guess I didn't anticipate that. Just being on a ship even something like this car ferry was exhilarating. You'd lean over the rail and can hear the water lapping the ship's bow. You can hear the fizz of salt spray foaming as the ship crested the waves.

We went inside to one of the galleys to get a couple of hot dogs and burgers. Decent fair, I wouldn't say that it was anything extravagant or fancy. Food was pretty much food aluminum wrapped and fries, some dessert options.

You know, it wasn't until after the burger and fries that I could not control the nausea. I admit, I was feeling some sickly emotions before we went to go eat. But, I was able to reason myself out of it. Before I could eat my last fry...I quickly stood up and said...I'm going to the cabin. And made a bee line for the room.

I couldn't believe it....I AM SEA-SICK!

"When is the dramamine going to kick in?"

This is what I wound up doing instead.

As a precautionary bit, I decided to rent one of the 2 single beds in one room type cabins that they had to offer. Small but functional. You had your own bathroom, 2 single beds with one of the beds alternating as a small desk when you flip it up. If you rented two cabin, you can have the option of having connecting rooms.

I had that partially awake feeling all throughout my time in the cabin. Oddly enough, I did not have cabin fever. In fact, I did not want to leave the cabin.

will continue later...

"This is kind'a a Titanic Moment...dare I say it."

This is my daughter watching the waves from the back of the ship. I was long asleep when this picture was taken.

You can't see it, but, a level below her is the opening and ramp to where the attendants drive your vehicles into the ship. Once they are secured in the ship, you CANNOT get back into your car. A mild annoyance, but I understand the security thing.

"Hallways"

Just wanted to give you a bit of perspective on the hallways on this tub. My brother is 5'10" and his head probably is about 1 foot away from ceiling (if that!). This is one of the hallways leading to a number of the cabins, the arcade game room, movie theater and gift shop. The gift shop also sells the all important dramamine and other various items that may be able to prevent sea sickness. I believe I bought them all...to no avail!

Upper viewing deck before we embarked

This was taken in the bow (front of) the the ferry. There were several lawn chairs that my brother helped himself to while taking a nap. This was also the coldest area, but as you can see from the pic...my brother toughed it out.

(Did you take note of my use of nautical term? tee-hee!)

Comments