Ambassador Hotel Milwaukee

2308 W Wisconsin Ave, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 53233, United States

Ambassador Hotel
Hotels.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

• Not a 4 Star Hotel

Checked into a hot stuffy room at 4PM, set the AC to 72F and left. Returned at 11PM to an 82F room. We were told the AC is controlled by motion sensors and shuts off when you leave. I took an hour for the room to cool.

The bed was fixed to the floor so close to the window an adult could not get out on that side

The blankets were stained

You would be more comfortable sleeping in the well appointed lobby

Unique Quality: oppressively hot guest rooms

Directions: Near Marquette campus west of downtown

• Horrible Experience!

I must admit I was expecting a lot- I had rented the King Whirlpool Suit for my husband as a birthday surprise. However, not only was I let down, I was downright disgusted. First the front service desk is quite possibly one of the rudest group of individuals I have come across in Milwaukee. When I visit Milwaukee I often comment on how nice the people are - well that is because all the hostel folks work for this hotel. The young man at the desk told us to wait aggressively while he 'yelled' at another hotel guest over the phone to move their car. He then threw the keys at us and didn't even tell us our room number let alone welcome and have a nice day.

We get to our room - one of the priciest rooms in the hotel. Not only is the room underwhelming, but it was DIRTY! We had BLOOD stains on our sheets and black marks all over the comforter. HOW DO YOU MISS BLOOD STAINS ON SHEETS! The best part is that when I called downstairs she didn't seem surprised by my findings, she didn't apologize, and she said she'd send someone up. 45 minutes later someone came. She changed our sheets with the door wide open as we sat on the couch as if punished. The housekeeper was muttering to herself the entire time- and at no point did anyone seem disgusted by what they saw- which is what disturbed me the most.

We paid $273 for this room.

NEVER AGAIN. Go to County Clare. The room looks roughly the same (it also has a whirlpool) the rate is $145 and they are very hospitable and most importantly CLEAN!

Unique Quality: Other than being a disaster for over $200...not much.

• Horrible Experience

We paid $273 for this room.

More about Ambassador Hotel Milwaukee

Great place, not so great neighborhood

by TripAdvisor Member nicinchic

We thought this place was really great, but the location isn't the greatest. Nothing to really see or walk to in the neighborhood. What they do have is a great free shuttle that worked out very nicely for us on the pick up and drop off. We had originally booked the $99 room, but when we arrived, the front desk was really pushing for us to take the $143 room including two breakfasts. We didn't need the breakfast because we were going to brunch the next day with friends, but, because she wanted us to stay in the "much nicer" room, she threw in cocktails instead of breakfast. So, we agreed and have to say that the room was beautiful. We had a broken ice machine on our floor, and the staff notified maintenace right away and in the meantime, the bell hop got us ice. The staff and the service was top notch. The food looked great, but we didn't eat there as once again, we were having dinner elsewhere. I would stay here again, but only if the shuttle is available.

Art Deco, indeed!

We decided to book our stay at the Ambassador after reading lots of reviews, and the bonus that they have a free shuttle that takes you to places of interest in Milwaukee. The hotel is beautiful after a much needed renovation. Our room was very nice, with a big comfy bed with down comforter. The recessed lighting around the perimeter of the ceiling, the big wooden desk with leather-like office chair, the big flat screen tv, mini-fridge, etc, etc, I could go on and on about how this stay didn't feel like an ordinary stay at any old hotel!

The bar and restaurant seemed to be hoppin' places, though we didn't visit.

The staff was nice, though not truly helpful. When we heard the shuttle would be operating many times on the day we were to go to a baseball game (Miller Park is very closeby), the concierge offered to put us on the shuttle schedule to be picked up at 5:15pm. We witnessed him placing our room number and time down...then at 5:15pm, we were told that the shuttle had left at 5pm, and since traffic was heavy at the baseball park, it'd be a while before it got back. (This was a different person that who scheduled us) We're still trying to figure out why the concierge would suggest we schedule the shuttle to pick us up at 5:15pm if he knew the bus had passengers also going to the baseball game leaving at 5pm??!

Express check-out was another bonus. So was free parking! And the free shuttle. But beware, there is only one shuttle bus.

Great style...

by TripAdvisor Member Teresa567

The hotel rennovation is great, but the neighborhood is still lagging a bit behind. The beds and linen are super comfotable, excellent lighting and the Aveda bath products are a great touch. However, we booked a whirlpool suite through expedia and when we got to the hotel, they told us expedia overbooked the whirlpool suites. We ended up in a regular king room and were refunded the money after calling expedia. We did get a $20 breakfast coupon (which didn't cover our breakfast). The restaurant has good service and good style, but the food was not as good. Maybe we just hit it on a bad day, but my boyfriend's pancakes were overcooked and my french toast was undercooked. Overall, I would encourage people to check this place out!!

Hated to leave

The hotel is beautiful. So many little details - original niches in walls, beautiful accessories and artwork. The rooms are very large - the bed is awesome. 6 pillows and a down comforter - soft sheets. Towels are super big, thick and soft. Sofa and 2 chairs and a desk. A mini-fridge. 2 sinks. Attention paid to all the little details. We only had breakfasts at the hotel but they were wonderful. The oven baked pancake was great. Fresh OJ. They run 2 shuttle busses in the summer but we had to wait an hour to be picked up even though they told us they would be there in 20 minutes. After we called they took 4 parties to different places even though they were after us. The front desk people are very friendly but not well trained or especiallu knowledgeable about the area. We had booked the shopping package which included breakfast but they did not know how to handle it and each day was different. But the staff is nice and polite and friendly so it makes a difference.

A hidden gem in Milwaukee

by TripAdvisor Member AnnaDC

We are originally from Milwaukee, and booked a weekend here when visiting family over Easter weekend a few months ago. I am familiar with a lot of the hotels in the Milwaukee area, and truly this is a great find. They have taken a beautiful, but run down, Milwaukee landmark, and refurbished it with modern touches and classy details, while maintaining the integrity of the space.

As you'll read in other reviews here, the rooms are spacious, beds very comfortable, nice amenities, loved the bathroom - all with a little different touch, and a great juxtaposition of the old and new.

The neighborhood has made huge strides in the past five years, and while it isn't the same as being downtown - you are there in 20 minutes walking, and no hotel downtown compares to this anywhere near this price range (and even if I wanted to spend more, I still would probably stay here again because I was so impressed!). There is free parking and free transport to downtown, if you don't want to walk. And you are still basically right at Marquette University's campus, which is on the edge of some transitioning neighborhoods but at this hotel, you aren't smack in them. Security seems good, and in the daytime I wouldn't worry at all, at night no more than you should in any city in general anyhow. And yes, you can walk within 5 minutes to some of the closer coffee joints, etc - you aren't in the middle of nowhere.

The hotel restaurants food was good - but the service was the most disappointing part of our stay there. Still, the food was creative, presented well, and tasty - so we tried to overlook our rather rude hostess and aloof waiter. Service elsewhere throughout the hotel, including the bar the night before, was much better - maybe we just got the restaurant on a bad day. Although still, I would hesitate to go back to the restaurant, specifically because of the icy hostess.

All in all, I think this is a great way to get a glimpse into historic Milwaukee, for a great value, and nice local digs while you are in town!

Cool Place

by TripAdvisor Member buyasofa

Great Hotel in Milwaukee. I travel about every week across N. America and have slept in a zillion hotels. This is a good one!
Restored art deco, clean, classy and sophisticated. Excellent service. My wife and I were worried about not being in the middle of down town but were hugely satisfied with our choice at the end. Check out the 5 O'clock steak house 2-3 blocks away for a classic, traditional, old style steak house. Forgot my cell phone at the steak house and the hotel staff (a guy named Jim) picked it up and mailed it back to my home
in North Carolina. That's good service but please know that I did not write this review because of that. Enjoy

A renovated treasure completed in 2006

by TripAdvisor Member corrineruth

This is one case where you should remove the old reviews, as the owners have since spent literally millions to restore what was once a flophouse into a gorgeous art deco treasure completed in 2006. Every detail of this place has been considered – wonderful staff obviously committed to service, gourmet new cuisine restaurant, free high speed Internet center, lovely bar, a small library of free DVD’s., outdoor eating area, internet coffee shop and the rooms – the deeply quiet rooms with luscious beds full of down, wonderful sitting and work areas, terry robes and deep thick towels, complimentary Aveda products, fridge with free bottled water.
I stayed during one of the most hectic weeks of the year – big conferences in town and the annual huge rock festival beginning, so the place filled up but I barely noticed in terns of service, except for the free shuttle, which was strained by the unusual numbers needing it and the staff trying to cope with that a bit raggedly. The shuttle is important, as you have to take it, a bus or a cab (five or six dollars) to get into the main Milwaukee.
The restaurant is pricey, but Milwaukee food is not cheap overall, so food of that quality is a relative bargain. As I left, I had half of a delightful sandwich in the bar, and they packed the rest (big enough for another meal) for me for the plane. I left feeling utterly rested and indulged.
Don’t miss what many do miss- a block or so away is the amazing Pabst Mansion with a delightful tour. I am not an antiques buff – but this place was true art with wonderful stories of the beer baron and sea captain.

Comments