5601 North Lovers Lane Road, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 53225-2201, United States
Orbitz.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Milwaukee

Outside Dining AreaOutside Dining Area

A church near downtown.A church near downtown.

MAM bridgeMAM bridge

CioppinoCioppino

Bad side of town? Good side of town?

by Alias_Spy

Hi! I'm from the south and I'm planning to move to Milwaukee. Is there anyone from Milwaukee or anyone who knows the city pretty well who could tell me what part of town I should stay in? Are there specific parts of Milwaukee I should be careful while I'm there? Bad parts of town? Good parts of town? FYI: I'm planning to attend UW-Milwaukee. Is it safer near the university? Any useful information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

by blaird

Are you still looking for a reply? If so, let me know. In any case, it is pretty safe near teh University, there are some nice areas near by.

by Chocchic

If you stay near the university you should be fine. I wouldn't want to go very far west of the university area at night. Milwaukee is like any other city of some size. Don't travel alone at night in neighborhoods that you aren't familiar with.
Good luck - you'll love UWM - awesome BB team

by mcaffa

I recommend you stay in the UWM area, especially if you're going to be studying there. I lived around campus when I went there and loved it.

Like someone else mentioned, stay away from the west...west of the river specifically. The northside is not too hot either, and the south side is a mixed bag. The east side (UWM campus area) is relatively safe and there's always stuff going on. The downtown area has some nice apartments too(east of Water St.), especially when you get near the lake.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best of luck!
Margaux

Travel Tips for Milwaukee

Public Museum

by hunterV

Visiting the MPM - the Public Museum - is a must here.
You can enjoy its exibits and features.
One of them is the IMAX Dome Theater where we managed to see two movies. Visiting the Public Museum and walking downtown.

Milwaukee Tip

by Kay_C

I love the architecture in Milwaukee. This city does a lot to preserve the buildings that were built in the late 1800's when Milwaukee was first incorporated. It is known as the 'Cream City' because of the yellow bricks that so many of the older buildings were built with. There is something in the soil that causes the bricks to be a light yellow color and makes the city so much brighter. This picture is of Old St Mary's Church which was built in 1845, the year Milwaukee was incorporated. This is a 'cream city brick' building, however the bricks have been discolored by many years of industry nearby. Many 'cream city brick' buildings have been sandblasted to expose the original light yellow coloring.

Cathedral Square Condos (2007)

by yooperprof

The condo boom hits Milwaukee!

This shiny steel & glass structure houses 27 units on twelve floors, all overlooking the square outside the Roman Catholic Cathedral of St. John. I like the rounded "turret-esque" corner windows on each floor!

Architecture by Solomon Cordwell Buenz and Associates.

a mysterious climate affect

by LaFreakEgurL

as a transplant living in WI I have noticed that in the winter time when the snow coats the ground, and the temp drops into the teens people become rude, cranky, impatient, etc.

on odd winter days when the sun pokes out, and the temp rises to a whopping 35 degrees (that is a heat wave for us) you will discover that people's moods will change they will be friendly, more patient, and maybe they might even smile at you.

this phenomenom also occurs in Summer, on hot blistering days people are cranky, on cooler abnormal days people are nicer.

Even if the team isn't great...

by mwenn2100

the stadium is! I took my very first trip out to Miller Park (I know, I'm a little slow with stuff like this) and had a blast! I hadn't been to a Brewer's game since I was 7 and it was played in the old stadium so I thought... even if I don't like baseball I had to at least see the park! Passing the stadium on the freeway all the time, it looks spectacular from the outside so I was excited.

I got free tickets (awesome seats... front row behind the first base dugout), a free parking pass and free tickets to the .300 club. So now that I'm spoiled I doubt I'll make it back unless there is an equally good offer! :) We got to park in the VIP section so the walk was short and it didn't hurt that it was the first Packer game of the season so the crowd was a bit thin. The dome was closed since it was raining outside, but I would love to go to a night game with the roof open.

There are all sorts of vendors set up in the halls... consessions are insanely expensive (as they always are) and I've heard not to eat the hotdogs... just passing on my little tip. The game was a good one even though our best players weren't playing. Brewers took it 4-1. We only stayed for about 6 innings and then headed to the .300 club for a quick peak then back home for the football game.

The stadium is sprawling and the fans were in the mood for a good time. I can only imagine the insanity when the stadium is actually fuller. The .300 club was on the other side of the stadium so I got to walk through most of it and it is a very cool place. The .300 club would be fun if you were in the mood to party during the game (be advised there is a dress code!)

There's no smoking in the stadium except for 2 designated smoking patios and a couple of the bars. Outside there was a small baseball diamond and a playground with kiddie equipment. Lots of shopping available inside from gift stores to kiosks. Tickets are pretty cheap depending on the game and seats. You're in Wisconsin... tailgate like there's no tomorrow!! A giant foam finger... ??? ;)

Comments