509 W Wisconsin Ave., Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 53203, United States

Orbitz.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• WARNING!

I have recently returned from a conference at the Delta Center and had stayed at the Hilton during my time in Milwaukee. I now have a rash all over my body that WILL NOT GO AWAY. I have gone to the doctors twice and am now on steroids because they are not sure what caused it, except for that it much of been caused by something I interacted with at the hotel. I started showing symptoms after one day of being there and had them change the sheets, but it has continued to worsen. I apparently picked up some sort of skin infection from the hotel and will never be staying at a Hilton again. It is not worth all this extra trouble.

• ThisPartBlank's Profile Photo

Waterpark inside!

If you're from The South like me, don't bother asking for honey mustard. I actually had a waitress in one of their restaurants say to me "Umm... no? But I can mix some honey & mustard for you..?" Uhhhh wow, thanks, but no thanks. Another thing -- good luck finding Coke products. Pepsi everywhere, UGH.
    I was disappointed by the room. It was completely NOTHING special. I mean sure it was standard & clean. But I suppose I like rooms with a little more spunk. Outside of the room it was different. Very 1920's-ish I suppose... coulda been better if ya ask me.

The best & most awesome thing about this hotel is the "water park", if you wanna call it that. I walked in & was soo happy to be breathing some air from home! They have some sort of humidity thing in there. It's great. The cafe in the "water park" is a cute idea. Though it definitly isn't a water park from home. This one if small, but what do you expect for one if a hotel & in Wisconsin at that. Over all the water park was really cool.

Unique Quality: WATER PARK!

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Milwaukee's Version of Chicago's Palmer House

$43 a night through Priceline! No complaints from me!

The City Center Milwaukee Hilton is a convenient and agreeable place for a weekend break. I met some friends from Chicago here - we both found the same great rate, which is pretty unbeatable. The Hilton is an old-fashioned, 1920s pile, decorated in an Art Deco manner crossed with aspected of pseudo-French Baroque. If it seems reminiscent of the Palmer House Hilton in Chicago, there's a good reason for that: both buildings were designed by the Chicago architectural firm of Holabird and Roche, and both opened in the exuberant year 1927. Moreover, both Hiltons feature grandiose "Empire Ballrooms" that are virtually identical to one another.

It was mid-afternoon when I checked in, and the agreeable front desk clerk gave me a room on one of the upper floors that was usually large and well-furnished. My Chicago friends arrived rather late in the evening and were not so fortunate - they had a smaller room on one of the lower floors. Not that they complained - how can you for $43 a night?

• gkitzmil's Profile Photo

Historic Hotel in Great Location

Overall I loved the building and the location! I'd stay again! Yet the fact is that for two days in a row we had no housekeeping service (I had to phone to get clean towels), one Tuesday AM we awoke at 7 AM to pounding and construction sounds, and they had one of the worst Concierge I've ever experienced.

Unique Quality: Great lobby, nice room, right downtown, historic building, and great location all mean I'll try this again!

I would rate it even higher if we had not had those experiences.

This was the tallest hotel in Milwaukee built in an Art Deco style and named the Schroeder Hotel completed in 1928. It has undergone extensive renovation several times to provide nice accomodations in an historic setting. Among the historic hotels in Milwaukee this one presents a bargain .

Directions: Downtown -- on bus lines and near entertainment

• tetonski1's Profile Photo

"Posh Milwaukee Accomadations"

Wonderful place to be treated like royalty. This hotel is located near everything! I would highly suggest staying here if it is within your budget!

Unique Quality: They have completed a recent multi-million dollar renovation to restore the hotel to its original 1920s stature with elegant chandeliers, rich woodwork accents, and marble floors.

It is absolutely beautiful!

Directions: From Chicago:
    Take Interstate Hwy 94 North to Hwy 43 North. Take the 1st exit on Hwy 43 at the Civic Center Kilbourn exit. Turn right at 6th Street. Turn left at Michigan Street. Take 1st left (5th Street). The parking ramp entrance is on left hand side.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Once Wisconsin's Tallest

The Hilton Milwaukee City Center is one of those old 'grand dames' from another era. It was originally built in 1928 (by insurance and hotel magnate Walter Schroeder) as the Schroeder Hotel and, at 265 feet high, it was the tallest and biggest hotel in Wisconsin. Since then, it has changed hands a few times, most recently becoming part of the Hilton Hotel chain. The first five floors are faced with limestone and Art Deco carvings. Over the years, many renovations have been made to the interior to modernize it and I found the rooms to be very comfortable and well appointed. The hotel has 730 guest rooms and is conveniently located within easy walking distance of the downtown attractions and the Lakefront as well.

Unique Quality: The Paradise Landing indoor water park, boasting 20,000 sq. ft. of water excitement for children of all ages can be readily accessed from the hotel. I paid about US $170/night for my room. The hotel did somewhat restrict internet access - it was 10 cents/minute after connecting for 30 minutes.

Directions: Between Interstate I-43 and the downtown core.

More about Hilton Milwaukee City Center

Not what you would expect from a Hilton Hotel

I stayed here while in town for a conference, and I was totally unimpressed. I normally go for "budget" hotels (but have stayed in all price ranges), and Hilton Milwaukee City Center was definitely no better than any budget hotel I've ever stayed in! We were without water for several hours, the room was small, the sheets were dingy, and the bedspreads were dirty. One bedspread was so disgusting (nasty red stains on the underside that housekeeping would have to have noticed!) we requested it to be changed, and it was. We had to request sugar and cream packs for coffee on a daily basis. Luckily, we were at the end of a hallway so we only had to walk through all the screaming kids to get to our room. My teenage daughter went with me and thought she might go to the water park while I was in meetings, but she quickly changed her mind upon seeing it! It should be renamed "Kiddie Water Park". There were no fans in the bathrooms, charges for any type of phone call, and the towel bar IN the shower was rather odd. A few redeeming qualities were the skywalk to the convention center and the restaurants. I would recommend the hotel have "family floors" to try and keep conference attendees seperate from their water park package guests! But if you are going to Milwaukee for a conference and your company is paying for it, then it's okay, but don't expect luxury!

Are You Kidding Me?????

by TripAdvisor Member J from the Bay

Stayed here two nights for business only because the Pfister and The Metro were booked. Rooms are horrific. I was lucky to get a corner room at the end of the hall, but was still overwhelmed as to how noisy it was. Anyone staying closer to the elevators must be up all night. Walls are paper thin. I could even hear the people next to my room using the toilet so obviously their conversation and TV were audible as well. The rooms are extremely dated and dirty. Curtains, bed spreads and chairs were so old they were yellowing. Beds were awful and uncomfortable - my back still hurts. The linens stunk. No air circulation so an "old" and "dirty" stench permeated the place. Toilet paper was like sandpaper. Definately not even close to being worth the money they charge - $165 a night for my stay and an additional $18 a day to park. This place is tacky and pure ghetto.

There are no redeeming values here!

by TripAdvisor Member Gourmand

I could not believe this was a Hilton. When I arrived the water had been turned off and there was NO water in the entire hotel for 4 hours. I ordered a steak from the Chop House wondering how they could cook without water. The steaks and potatoes from Chop House are terrific. The toilet did not work for 2 more hours after the water came back on. I had to call to change the temperature in the room.

The sheets are ALWAYS shortsheeted. I called after the first night and the second day was a bit better, but after that forget it. They used a queen on a king bed and never tucked it in so turning over one time made the entire bed unmade instantly. I ordered breakfast and it took 1 1/2 hours to get there. I was told the sad story of how no one showed up for work. They I found out the delivery man had put amaretto in my cappacino as a sort of gift. Well, you do NOT put anything of flavor in a cappachino. I was crazed and wanted to throw up from the taste. Had to call down and wait 30 minutes more for a new one. Another morning I told the lady 3 times I wanted sugar on tray. You think I got sugar? NOPE!

The rooms are extraordinarily loud. Could hear everyone on both sides coming and going and on the phone and just talking. The room service trays always had a card saying to please fill out the survey form. Of course, in 6 trays of room service there was never one survey form. The sheets were dirty, the bedspreads too. But you know, one can only call down to the front desk so often. I asked the arrogant Consierge to book me at a French restaurant on a Saturday. He told me he would do it later. Of course I could not get a table later and had to eat in the room.

I will say I told a little bit of this to the lady as I checked out and she made good and took off one nights cost and my most expensive meal deducting $200. I was happy with this. But I am so exhausted from no sleep and would never stay here again.

Comments