500 West Florida Street, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 53204, United States

Costs 67% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Iron Horse Hotel

Fantastic!

by TripAdvisor Member houston1Houston

Our expectations for a trip to Wisconsin in December were low. The weather was below zero and dropping! We were thrilled with the Iron Horse Hotel. It MADE our weekend simply fabulous. The manager/concierge was awesome. In fact, the whole staff was fantastic. We've stayed in some of the nicest hotels in the US and the Iron Horse was just as nice at a fraction of the price. Well done! PS: Eat at Crazy Water nearby...

BEST EXPERIENCE EVER!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member HBLSt_Paul_MN

My husband and I stayed at the Iron Horse Hotel for the Marquette-Madison game. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone! The iron Horse is a pet friendly hotel, so we brought our dog with us for the weekend. As part of their service they will walk your dog and take them for bathroom breaks while you are out. We have never experienced such phenominal service! The staff fell in love with our dog. They didn't want him to be lonely while we were gone so they kept him with them all day:) Everyone is extremly friendly, accommodating and relaxed. The hotel is truly unique. The Iron Horse is our new favorite hotel and we plan to stay there for every returning visit to Milwaukee.

Excellent Spot in MKE

by TripAdvisor Member rbwinston

The Iron Horse is the awesome spot proclaimed in the previous reviews. I am in hotels almost every week - this one I didn't want to leave. The location is a bit out of the central business district, but that's part of the charm. This is a hybrid of the best of a BandB from a personal service perspective and a "W" style hotel with cool vibe and feel. You feel welcome and comfortable there from the moment you walk in to the moment you leave. The rooms are very modern in style with all the expected amenities but warm and comfortable. The full service restaurant is not yet open, but the food in the bar/lounge is excellent. All in all a top notch experience and I highly recommend it for the business traveler looking for a change of pace and the couple seeking a hide away adventure.

Well done Iron Horse!

Can't Wait Until My Next Milwaukee Trip

by TripAdvisor Member mitzyli

I am writing this review from my fabulous loft room (for a mere $169) using the complimentary wifi, staring at the giant mural on the wall, watching my flat screen tv, and enjoying a glass of wine (very healthy pour) from the bar.

This is a very comfortable, classy, and contemporary hotel without the cheese factor that you sometimes find in W hotels. Everyone -- the reservationist, the valet, the front desk, my server -- seems to really give a damn.

The restaurant has a few kinks to work-out, but I don't care: it's an ambitious menu and I think everyone's intentions are good.

Someone is paying attention to the details: from the books in the library to the beer in the mini-bar to the bath products. I appreciate it and don't want to leave.

Comfortable Elegance

by TripAdvisor Member EarthRider

You've been to a lot of hotels, right? This is one that you won't forget. I had read the reviews, looked at the pictures, etc. But there is a comfortable elegance about this hotel that has to be experienced. I think that's because the friendly and casual staff are the perfect caretakers of this exceptional warehouse conversion. How do you take a picture of the feeling of being in a warm, cozy space that is also a hotel?

They only have valet parking for cars. Motorcycles park for free. I parked in the street. Getting a spot was easy because this is
still primarily a warehouse district. The hotel is a bit far from downtown to be a true "downtown hotel." Some will like that and some will not. The lobby, library and bar have many cozy places
for reading, visiting, or just relaxing. It felt like home.

The rooms are large. The generous size makes them seem a little scantly furnished, but what is there is comfortable and beautiful. The bathroom is showroom quality and has great towels. They have one those great one-cup coffee machines, with a nice variety of complimentary choices: coffee, tea, and
hot chocolate.

Wonderful and unique hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member HappyIndyWoman

We spent Christmas night at the Iron Horse. It far surpassed our expectations. From the moment we entered, we felt like we were in a fascinating place. The lobby and restaurants were decorated with nostalgic and architectural items of interest. The employees were fantastic about making us feel like special guests. The best part of all, we felt were the gorgeous, contemporary rooms! Everything so tasteful and comfortable! I can't say enough good things about the place!

Iron Horse was GREAT

by TripAdvisor Member konovan

The Iron Horse is a new hotel in Milwaukee. It was easy to get to and is close to the Harley Davidson Museum. The restaurant and bar were outstanding. The design, the room layout and amenities are fantastic. The staff were helpful, friendly and responsive. Great value. Will stay here again for sure.

THE Place to Stay in Milwaukee

by TripAdvisor Member rrice25

This was a VERY memorable hotel and I plan to stay at it next time I'm in Milwaukee. Very modern and very friendly staff. We got 2 nights for $89 per night through a hotwire bid on a 4-star in downtown Milwaukee after our flight home got canceled and we were stuck in Milwaukee for a few nights. A GREAT experience overall. A few things to note- make sure to have a car as this is not exactly in the walking part of downtown (though we did manage well with them calling us cabs). This may be walkable during the summer, but not in a WI winter. Note also the hotel sits alongside an active train line. We were NOT awoken by the train, but it makes for some interesting noises. Do NOT, however, let this affect your decision to stay there because it is not a nuisance and I actually enjoyed sitting in the library watching the trains roll by. Bottom line-If in Milwaukee stay here.

Nice enough, but wouldn't return

by TripAdvisor Member DebOChicago_IL

After seeing the great rankings and reviews on this site, we booked a room at the Iron Horse for a quick getaway from Chicago. Except for being close to the Harley Davidson Museum, the hotel's location is not very central, which was a bit of a drawback for us as we didn't have a car. Calling cabs was not difficult, but we'd hoped to be able to walk everywhere.

The name of the hotel references the motorcycle, and elements of the decor and room features seem to target motorcycle riders and motorcycle lovers. On the whole, the ambiance is dim and hip, with cavernous public spaces and funky touches such as a breakfast room called The Library, stocked with books you really want to browse through.

Contrary to other reviews here, we found the service adequate to indifferent. We ate in the bar a couple of times and found the food there a bit disappointing.

We were upgraded to a large room but found when we arrived that it was kind of stinky--new carpet smell or worse. Happily, we were promptly transferred to a comparable room. That room was a little perfume-y, but the smell faded (or we got used to it) pretty soon.

Contrary to other reviewers, we didn't find the bed terribly comfortable. Soft for our taste so I had backaches in the mornings. The shower in the sizable bath looked impressive, but the water pressure was rather poor.

Still, a stylish room, with high ceilings and big windows.

In the end, we agreed it was nice enough, but on future trips we're inclined to stay in a more central location.

Couldn't Have Been Any Better

by TripAdvisor Member ChicagoTraveler777

I can't say enough about this place. Perfect.
Very sophisticated and hip but in a VERY comfortable, friendly and laid-back way. Nothing "hotel chain-ish" about it. No huge, faux floral arrangements, no mauve carpeting. A wonderfully unique mix of rustic and industrial and modern. You will be blown away - honestly.
The hotel rooms are stunning and the bed/bedding is an absolute dream (book a corner alcove king-bed room on the top floor and you'll think you've gone to heaven).
The staff couldn't be any nicer or more helpful, friendly or outgoing. The public spaces (Library, bar, lobby) are places you actually WANT to hang out in.
This place is so well-done...can't say enough. We've already been back a 2nd time in less than a month. We'll be back with friends soon.

Comments