Wausau Hotels

Our Members Say

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Stoney Creek Inn: Stoney Creek Inn

This is another hotel that isn't technically in Wausau. We needed a place to stay during a recent visit, and all of our usual haunts were filled up due to a local softball tourney. However, the other's loss was my gain - this was a really nice place! They take the cabin in the woods theme to all the rooms. Check-in was quick and friendly, and within minutes we were up in our nice, clean 2-bed room. On the first bed was a stuffed raccoon (yours for only $20!) The beds were very comfortable, and there was room to work on a regular sized desk. The bathroom is good sized, though one small problem was the lack of counter space.

In the morning, they have a decent continental breakfast. The day we were there, they served biscuits and gravy, the standard waffle maker, several types of muffins, toast, and yogurt and milk in a fridge. While this wasn't the best breakfast ever, it certainly wasn't the worst either. Checkout was another easy task (and they take pride enough in their place to ask you to go to TripAdvisor to rate them!)

Prices for the rooms were around $100. Probably on the higher end for the area, but they match it with a nicer hotel.

• Written July 27, 2013

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Econo Lodge: Former Comfort Inn

This one is way on the south end of Wausau (I believe it is technically in Rothschild.) This was a Comfort Inn until around 2010, when it became an Econo Lodge. It probably does fit the mold of the Econo Lodge better - it's a little older and starting to show a bit of wear. Staff is very friendly, and check in isn't an issue. The rooms are servicable, lots of room, decent TV, clean bathrooms, just starting to show their age. Breakfast in the morning is standard - make your own waffles, or danish/donut type food. Nothing too spectacular, and if you share the hotel with a travelling team (which seems to happen to us all the time), it can be a long painful wait to make something. Location is pretty good, as you are in walking distance to a grocery store and Arbys. Some of the newer places in the area have enticed us away from here with a newer hotel and better breakfast for the same price.

• Written December 31, 2011

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Fairfield Inn: Newer hotel in the Wausau 'burbs

Judging from the condition of the hotel, this is a fairly new place. We stayed over Christmas in 2011. Upon arrival, we were greeted by a pleasant girl at the desk, who was able to accommodate our request for a first floor room. The room was in great shape, with a large television, plenty of space to walk around in, and a clean bathroom. We didn't get to check out many of the facilities - this was only an overnight stay. But we did stop by for breakfast in the morning. I must say this was one of the best continental breakfasts I have ever had. Breakfast sandwiches and make your own waffles accompany the standards (bagels, donuts, etc.) They also had fresh fruit, fruit cups, and a large selection of yogurts. As a non-breakfast person, walking away from this as stuffed as I was is a testament to their options. Check-out was a breeze as well. The price was $100, which is a little high for Wausau, but was well worth it for a clean, comfortable stay. Location is a little off the beaten path, but you're only a few minutes a way from shopping and dining.

• Written December 31, 2011

• aphrodyte profile photo aphrodyte
  • Reviews: 174
Courtyard by Marriott: Lotsa' green, lotsa' cheese in Wausau

Out of all the Marriott brands, I like the Courtyards the best. Spacious rooms, all interior hallways, and hot breakfast on property in the morning.

This particular hotel was just off of Hwy 51 which connects to Hwy 29. Hwy 29 goes directly on to Green Bay and then onto our destination of Manitowoc.

The landscape of this property was shaded with trees and around the property were shaded walkways and benches with a gazebo for a little mediation.

There were many eateries within 1/2 a mile. You would be able to find restaurants of all kinds within minutes of the hotel.

Rib Mountain, a location I am told you go for some choice skiing, is nearby.

We made use of of the self serve on-site laundry facilities, the indoor pool, whirlpool and since I was on vacation at the time of my stay, I opted not to use the on-site fitness center.

The guest services were great and very patient in giving directions. And they were able to accomodated us with two non-smoking rooms right next to eachother. (I called in ahead of time to confirm the request)

The rooms were exceptionally clean and the rooms were not worn or showed any age. Prime movie options, coffee pots, hairdryers, and iron and ironing boards that hung onto the bathroom door were part of the guest room amenities.

The two stand out qualities I valued most about this property was the two-line phones and the balcony. Two-line phone so that I can use my computer and still call for take out at the same time, and the balcony because when you are a smoker traveling with nazi non-smokers it's very nice to be able to smoke and not really have to leave the room.

• Related to: Road Trip, Business Travel, Family Travel
  • Written June 26, 2003
Tip Photo

Parking lot just outside the hotel.

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful