720 Race Street, P.O. Box 15, Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin, 53965, United States
Orbitz.com Hotels.com Booking.com

More about Black Hawk Motel

Honest review....

by TripAdvisor Member dellsfan

I'll be honest the room was okay. I was expecting more from reading the reviews and seeing as though it's #1 on tripadvisor for hotels in the Dells. Next time I wont even use this site. I'm not so sure it's reliable.

Pros
The room was nice and clean. It smelled fresh upon arrival.

There is a screen door, outside light, two lawn chairs and a small table outside that gives it a homely feeling.

The price was very affordable.

Cons
My queen room was tiny. This is the smallest hotel room I have EVER stayed in. I asked for a room with two beds twice but never got it. I could see the double rooms because they keep the curtains pulled open but they didn't look that big either. I stayed at a motel on HWY 12 last year and it was twice as big as this one.

There is NO closet. Only a hanger rack that would be located inside a closet.

I don't know what rooms other people stayed in that was so spacious?! I find that hard to believe. The room was VERY clean as others have said. Overall, it was decent for the price. Not above average in my opinion.

Nice, clean, friendly place for those on a budget

by TripAdvisor Member Choncygirl

It was such a lovely motel. Granted, it's no 5 star hotel, but it was very clean and the service was extra friendly. I would really recommend people who are looking are on a tight budget, but are still looking for a nice place to stay.

Best Place To Stay In The Dells!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member tgarthist

Hello everyone, I just wanted to stop bye and say that the black hawk motel is the best place to stay while your visiting the Dells area. The rooms are very well kept and clean. The service is the best, and the family that owns it are some of the friendliest people that I have ever done business with. This is going to be the only place that I stay every time I visit the Dells on vacation. For the price, you cant ask for more...Even the bigger hotels ie...Chula vista etc...cant beat the friendly atmosphere of this little jewel.

Yes, It's really THAT GREAT! Tried it and Loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member graciediane

Booked it after reading reviews here. Yes, SPOTLESS Motel. I was scratching my head wondering how they kept it so well maintained. NOW, This is an older motel. I would call it Vintage decor. Rooms are small, smaller than average, but we didn't mind that at all. We still had enough space with our portable crib. My husband & I (mid 30s) + 1 toddler & 1 teenager really enjoyed all the vintage circle chairs, astro-turf, screen doors, light fixtures, etc. You feel like you've walked into 1969-1975, with all the modern upgrades like dvd player, nice tiled bathroom, hair-dryer, big 27 inch tv, etc. After reading the reviews, I arrived ready to do a white glove test. Unbelievable Maintenance. The decor and even the ceiling tiles were vintage and in perfect condition. How on Earth have they been able to keep it so well maintained??? We kept wondering. The White Walls were so clean. Do they paint every year? Not a poorly painted wall to be found. Not even any splatter? Our picky, opinionated teenager said "Why don't we stay here every time?" We loved the layout. The pool was so warm (not the case at Kalahari, Great Wolf, etc.) Warm pool + a Diving Board. Seriously, Where do you see a diving board these days? The kids loved that. The kiddie pool was a blast for my 2 year old. Game Room had a dart board, pool table, video games & a jukebox. We enjoyed it all. Laundry facilities were comfortable with a TV to watch as you fold clothes. The Indoor Pool was fun, open late and includes a whirlpool and sauna. Photos (I posted many) really don't show just how clean and comfortable it is. We're new to vacationing in the DELLS, but have stayed at the LARGE resorts before. We enjoy those places, but they eat up your wallet quickly. The Blackhawk Motel allowed us to stay a few extra nights & enjoy the older DELLS attractions. The price here is very reasonable. We're looking forward to planning our next trip and bringing our extended family. Maybe a family reunion. I talked with a friendly woman at the pool, MARY, (80 yrs old.) she told me she has come to this motel for over 20+ years. She wouldn't dream of trying another motel. She told me about the owners, their mom who recently passed away, her past vacations. She convinced me even more. This is a true gem. I don't think other motels in the area could ever compare. Pride in ownership shows. No worries if you book a night or 2 at this motel. Let's face it, if you have a family, you don't want to stay in a MOTEL at all. Unless you're staying here. This is a great vacation spot. Oh Yeah, You have a reserved parking spot, so housekeeping doesn't knock on your door because they know you're still inside. They waited for us to exit before making up the room. Added comfort. Fantastic place.

Really liked the Black Hawk

by TripAdvisor Member xrae

Two friends and I stayed at the Black Hawk for two nights in July. We really enjoyed the property.

Our room, #16 with two queen beds, was huge. The beds and pillows were very comfortable. The room had a refrigerator and microwave.

The bathroom was just the right size. Instead of supplying bar soaps, there was a liquid soap dispenser on the wall in the shower and at the sink. I didn't care for that since I prefer bar soaps. (Bring your own).

The tv was large and had more channels that most other places I've stayed. The room had a DVD player. One gripe is that the remote control only had volume up/down and channel up/down buttons. It was a pain to switch channels because you have to go through every single channel to get to the one you want.

The pool areas were nice. I think kids would really like both the indoor and outdoor pools. We saw several children on the playground throughout our stay. Even though it was right outside our room, there never was noise.

I liked that there was a screen door on the room, so we usually left the door open. We also liked the chairs and small table outside our room and we spent time every day eating, drinking, and talking outside. Several other guests seemed to enjoy their outside seating as well.

I liked the location of the Black Hawk, which has many different room types in several buildings. We were just a few blocks from downtown Dells -- walking distance. But it was far enough away that we didn't notice traffic noise. The motel itself was very quiet even though it was mostly full over the weekend.

The hotel does not offer wi-fi internet access, but we were occasionally able to pick up signals from elsewhere. A tip -- wireless reception is better on the sun deck.

Wer Loved The Black Hawk Random Lake

by TripAdvisor Member klunker

What a grat place for the price. Our was super clean and ready upoun arrival.The staff is very friendly and helpfuf .we will definnetaly will stay again either in fall or2008 for sure.

Steve <Nancy

quaint and clean motel in the Dells

by TripAdvisor Member CarolineinChicago66

We stayed at the Blackhawk for three nights in July and had a very good experience. The rooms (we had two) are VERY clean although the decor is pretty dated (which isn't that important for me anyway). For an old motel, they have kept up the grounds very nicely and added lots of amenities: two pools (indoor/outdoor includes a diving board!), two big jacuzzi tubs, sauna, game room, laundry room... really everything you could want without the big resort prices.

If you're staying more than a couple nights, I would highly recommend getting one of the larger king size bed rooms that include a huge jacuzzi hot tub AND nice private 2nd deck patio/balcony (room 75 or 76). We played games with our kids there almost every night and had breakfast there in the mornings. This room included a welcome coffee maker as well(others do not). It was worth the add'l $25-30/night.

If you are military, you also get discounts on area attractions including Army Ducks tours (HALF off for active-duty military), Tommy Bartlett and Noah's Ark. Those attractions BTW, are all must-sees IMHO!

Feel free to email me with any questions.

Great vintage motel

by TripAdvisor Member dlr2623

We stayed here for 3 nights in early July and absolutely loved it. I was a little skeptical when we first checked in, because there was a large family reunion staying on the property that weekend, but there were absolutely no problems. We stayed in a room with a kitchenette and it was absolutely spotless. It smelled fresh and clean when we checked in. The property is an older, vintage motel, but definitely not run down. They take excellent care of this place, and it includes modern amenities, such as a large TV and DVD player. The A/C and shower worked great. We saved a lot of money staying here and picking up a few items at Walmart to cook in the room. We had two queen beds and requested a roll-a-way, which was waiting upon arrival. There was also a loveseat and table, but the room did not seem cramped. It is not a four star hotel, just your basic room, but very clean and well kept. The pools were warm and the kids loved the diving board. We have stayed in the Dells for the past 5 years, and this was by far the best value that we have found.

Absolutely excellent, inexpensive place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member MusicMan48176

We have been staying at the Black Hawk on all of our trips to the Dells since 1993. It is very consistently spotless, the rooms are plenty big for our family of 4 and the staff is very friendly.

We really like the chairs outside the rooms, for reading in the mornings before everyone is up, or just for hanging outside in the evening. The kids really like the pools, both indoors and outdoors, and the adults like the two whirlpools.

We really like the price - even in peak season it is inexpensive compared to other hotels/motels in the Dells. That allows you to not completely break the budget going to the waterparks, the boat trips and for food. It is also just out of all of the hustle and bustle of the touristy part of the Dells, yet within easy walking distance of it.

We will continue to stay here for all of our future trips.

Okay, but definitely not worth the top rating

by TripAdvisor Member lupiemom

This is an older motel that we selected based on Trip Advisor #1 rating for Dells. Their rates are very reasonable for the area and the property is in average/good condition. I will agree that the bathroom was clean, but there was a slight musty odor to room and we noticed after the first day of our stay that after showering, if we walked barefoot on the carpet our feet got filthy. (Don't forget your shower shoes!) The older window air conditioners are not extremely efficient at cooling room. It was very quiet - which we appreciated! Would we stay here during next visit? No
I find it hard to believe that there aren't nicer places to stay than this motel - it was an okay stay - nothing more

Rock FormationRock Formation