1305 Kalahari Drive, Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin, 53965, United States

• pastorkurt's Profile Photo

Surfing inside in December

This magnificent resort and indoor waterpark is a great place for the entire family. The accomodations are excellent, the theme of the hotel is perfect, and my 3 year old daughter looks forward to going every year at Christmas time. Considering that the price of admission into the water park is included in the price of your room, its a pretty good deal

Unique Quality: We have started renting one of the 3 bedroom condos for our family. My sisters and there families and my parents all crash in the different rooms and its a festival for the ages. The movie theatre, the african themes, the waterpark, the live reindeer, and santa claus all add the perfect touch

More about Kalahari Waterpark Resort Convention Center

Kalahari in October

In October, 2003, we were part of a group of 5 families who stayed at the Kalahari for a Sunday thru Tuesday stay. The rooms were clean, everyone was professional and a good time was had by all. My only complaint is that the water was cold. I spent almost all my waterpark time in the hot tubs because I couldn't stand the wave pool or lazy river. I was not the only one who felt that way, several of the people did, including some of the kids. My sister went with us and she had stayed at the Wilderness Resort about 6 months prior and commented that the water was much warmer there. We are scheduled to visit the Wilderness on March 14th!

Great two day getaway

by TripAdvisor Member pmorty

Our family of four (children ages 5 and 7) spent two nights at the Kalahari Resort during Feb. 2004. This was our first visit to the resort. We had a two room family suite for our stay. We arrived early in the afternoon and despite getting there before the official check-in time we did not have any issues getting into our reserved (and paid in advance) room. The suite was huge and nicely furnished with two televisions, a fireplace and plenty of chairs. The refrigerator and the microwave make for convenient snacking for the kids (popcorn, yougurt, etc.). Overall, I was pleased with the accomodations though I did think they were a bit overpriced ($290/night). They justify the price by including the waterpark admission in the price-- but still. The waterpark is fantastic and our kids had a blast. We spent several hours there each of the three days we were there and it was varied enough that mom and dad did not get overly bored. The restaurants are extremely overpriced based on the quality of the food offered. We ate there the first night and went other places for each meal after that.
Fortunately there's a Cracker Barrel next door as well as a number of good local restaurants. Will we return? Probably. But before I do I'll check out some of the other Resort/Waterparks there first.

the water park

The Kalahari Hotel and resort waterpark were awsome the waterpark was a blasast I hade a lot of fun at the park the rooms were keept great and very nice rooms and a great view! I LOVED IT !

The best hotel in Wisconsin Dells

I just got back from a trip to the Kalahari about 3 weeks ago and my experience there was grrreat! My family and I have stayed at many of the bigger hotel there and the Kalahari was the best yet. It offers much more for the money than any other hotel there. The service was outstanding and the hotel was very clean. There are many different shops, restraunts, and snackbars to choose from. They also offer spa treatments. We had so much fun we didn't leave the hotel to do anything else. We enjoyed ourselves so much that we will never stay anywhere else.

Can't wait to go back!

My family and I had the time of our lives this past August at the Kalahari! There was soo much to do right there that we never had to go into the Dells at all. I have 2 boys under 10 yrs old and they couldn't get enough. The family suite was PERFECT and we can't wait to go back!

Again and Again

This is going to be our third Christmas as the Kalahari. I have a 12, 6, and 3 yr old. Believe me, there is something for EVERYONE!! We have never had a problem with the rooms nor management. The food is pricey, but then ALL hotel food is. The value is unbeatable!! When you consider it is $35 a person for just the waterpark and you have 2 or more ppl...it is WELL worth the $$. The Great Wolf Lodge is much higher priced with alot less to offer. We have stayed there and the Wilderness, this resort by far TOPS the charts. If you choose to stay, you will not be disappointed...ENJOY!!

Ann-Marie

Not enough bang for the (big) buck(s)

The Kalahari is a nice place to take the kids simply for the huge indoor waterpark but the prices are not family friendly. The on site restaurants are either overpriced bar food or a very overpriced fine dining wannabe (and bad food to boot). The rooms are nice, but not 5 star quality, which is what they are priced at. A movie theater and restaurant are within walking distance which is nice, but everything else is a car trip. We plan a four day stay so would rather not be driving all over the Dell's. We schedule our trip specifically as a winter get-away and would prefer to stay close so as not to waste alot of time. The waterpark is phenomenal and top rate. Theyt could improve it by not allowing "reserved" seating in the bar areas so people could get a table to be able to eat lunch or just take a break. There are some fun activities for the kids, but even those can get expensive. All in all, a great family place, especially for a nice winter break, just not family priced. Expect to pay over $500 or $600 for a 3 night stay in an average hotel room and way too much for a very mediocre meal.

A great place for a family vacation

We just returned from a nice 4 day stay at the Kalahari. We really enjoyed the place. It is quite a large place, reminding me a little of a Las Vegas style hotel. I disagree with the reviewer that complained about the price of the rooms. When you figure in the fact that the $35 waterpark admission is INCLUDED in the room price for EACH registered guest, the room price is a steal. We paid $300 / night for a two bedroom suite, but that allowed 6 people into the water park. Where else can you get a two bedroom suite for that? The food was priced high in the snack bar areas, and was not worth it. It is typical of amusement park price and quality. The restaurant prices were decent for a nice restaurant and I found the food to be decent. There are a huge amount of choices for food within a 5 minute drive. The staff was very nice and pleasant. The indoor waterpark is really great. There is a lot to do for people of all ages. All in all, a great place for a vacation.

Management and service is Terrible!!!

Just got back from the Kalahari. I went with my husband, 3 yr old son, and our 6 month old. We were with another couple who had 2 kids the same age as well. The room is ok, for $300 its not great! We had a 2 bedroom suite and it was nice just not great. The indoor waterpark is nice and there is lots to do. It is bigger then most of the other hotels in the dells. It is very nice to go for a winter retreat. I would never go during the summer, you can just go to Noahs Ark and stay in a less expensive place!

Anyways, the service was horrible. We ate at the bar/grill on Friday night and everything that could go wrong did. We waited a 1/2 hour for a table, then waited an hour and a 1/2 for our food. The waiter was just plain dumb. We asked for things and he would forget to bring it, several times!! He told us they were busy and ran out of food and thats why it was taking so long!! Ran out of food??!! How doea that happen?
There are only like 10 tables in the place! After waiting forever the waiter brings me the wrong meal!!!! He didn't even order the meal I asked for!!! Finally after he came over once again to ask how things were and I STILL hadn't gotten our soda or guacamole I just looked at him and yelled GUACAMOLE!!!!!!! Then the bill never came so we told another waiter we were leaving and just going to take a guess at the bill. We were so irratated by then!! The other couple decided to complain to the hotel manager and he didn't care at all. He just simpy said, "was the food good?" What the hell? I guess they don't really care that we were planning on making this trip an annual thing, but now we are going to the Wilderness!

Same thing happend when I complained to the waterpark manager, he just had this patronizing smile on his face and never even looked at me.
Just kept making up excuses for what had happend!!! Oh was I angry then, I told him right off that we weren't coming back and we headed for the Wilderness.

So I guess it will be them that gets our business every year for the next 25 years!!!!!

Amtrak and Car Rental

by kishd

If I take the Amtrak train to Wisconsin Dells, what is the most convenient car rental company in location to the Amtrak station?

by mccalpin

A quick search turned up on one car rental agency in Wisconsin Dells: Avis (operating under a local name). The address for the agency doesn't show up on maps.yahoo.com, so I am not sure how far away it is from the station (which is right downtown on the river).

I'd call Avis' 800 number and just ask them (www.avis.com). If the car rental office is far away, they may reimburse your taxi ride (I've had Hertz do that at other Amtrak stations where the office is far from the station).

Bill

To find the location of any business, for any city in the USA

by PR-7

Check out

www.superpages.com

Get the address for the train station from
www.Amtrak.com
For Wisconsin Dells, it's at the corner of Superior and La Crosse streets, ZIP code 53965. With that info, you can use the above URL to search for "car rental" near that address or ZIP. When I did so, I found an Avis rental place at 791 Plum Street. According to that map provided by Superpages, that would be about twelve blocks from the train station.

by mccalpin

PR-7's process is a good process, if you bear in mind that the Superpages' content can be out of date compared to the company's website.

In this case, while the Superpages website says that the car rental office is on Plum Street, the Avis website says "1305 Kalahari Drive", and furthermore puts it in Sauk County, which is across the river to the west of downtown Wisconsin Dells (but since the train station is just on the east side of the river, this may not be bad).

None of the mapping software that I use has this new address, and the mapping software on Avis.com puts it 1.5 miles north of the city center, but the street names don't match. So is the Avis site wrong, or has the office moved?

So I would say that this would be a great time to go to the Avis.com website and get the real scoop by calling someone - where is the office really really? ;-)

Bill

by SnowBunny71

I know that these guys can even pick you up if you don't have a way to get to them, that includes the Amtrak Station.

Comments