Rain Tree Resort and Conference Center

1435 Wisconsin Dells Pkwy, Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin, 53965-9708, United States
#15 of 58 hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Terrible (1.0 out of 5.0) 1 review

GUEST BE WARNED! Bogus charge on my credit card

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 6, 2009

I have been a patron of the Raintree for nearly 12 years now. We enjoyed Raintree because of it's close location to Ginza and intimate waterpark. What happened to us on our last stay has left me extremely upset and frustrated to no end. Truly an experinece I have never had in all of my years visiting hotels in the Dells area and I felt I should warn you.
We checked in for a three night stay for my daughters Birthday. My mother also had a room and we made it a family event. The first thing I noticed in the room that I checked into was a new remodel. Although it looked pretty when you first walked in I quickly observed the nature of the new items in the room and felt very suprised a hotel would furnish rooms with such flimsy materials. The old closet area had been replaced with a flimsy wire rack that was about 4 feet high that I was too afraid to even use. It bowed from just the weight of the hotels iron and bedding that was placed on the top of it. The new stainless steel full size fridge was a great bonus but the new cabinents around the fridge were very cheap( thin material) and the painters had got paint all over them. I remember thinking that they would not hold up well in a busy hotel. The worst part were the new beds. The headboards were very flimsy and were not secured to the wall like most hotel beds. Every time I moved in bed they just rattled and banged on the wall behind me. I felt nervous a guest behind me may be disturbed by it. The beds also slid all over the new wood floors and I had to push them back after just sitting on them. The lamps felt very lightweight and I was afraid to touch anything for fear of breaking it!. I wanted the old soild rooms back to be honest!

We almost commented about the products in the room to the staff before leaving but did not.

On a positive note....the new couches were nice and the table and chairs seemed solid.

Now the ultimate irony happened to me a week later when I checked my bank account. After noticing a $100 charge on my card from Raintree I called to inquire. I was then informed that I had been chaged for a damaged clothing rack! I was simply SHOCKED by this and left my room clean and in the very same condition I found it in upon checking out. The rack was in the same condition I found it in upon arrival.....bending and bowing from the hotels items placed upon it but not "destroyed".

Even if my family had damaged a rack there is no way the racks cost more than $15 and I felt the $100 charge was obsured. The racks were very awful/flimsy and not for hotel type usage. I fear for later guests as these cheap items begin to get damaged and people start to get sneaky charges.

I was told the rack "was in peices" and had been "destroyed"

I have been dealing with this for two days now in an attempt to get the charges reversed. Each person I reach tells me they cannot help me and I have to wait until the next day when an alternate person comes in (who always seems to be off work on the day I call). The hotel manager herself told me this today and was not helpful to me at all. If the hotel manager cannot deal with you to resolve a problem then who can? She was the one who authorized the charge to my bank but admitted she never even saw the rack. I asked her if I could see the rack and she said they had put it in the trash compactor.

The call left me feeling frustrated and violated by Raintree and I have little hope this matter will end in my favor. I will have to fight the charges with my bank or persue another exhausting avenue which I find sad and uncalled for.

The only thing I can assume is that the rack may have collapsed after I cheked out from the iron sat upon it before housekeeping arrived? I have no idea and cannot see the rack obvisouly as it has been destroyed by the hotel. All I can tell with with every ounce of integrity that my family has is that the rack was not "destroyed" when we checked out of our room. I went through the room with a fone toothed comb making sure I had everything (as I always do) and the room was tidy and no damage had been done by my family.

I have been left feeling saddened by this and Raintree has lost all of my family and friends as loyal customers.
My hope is that the Hotel comes to it's senses and gives me my $100 back.

My advice if you are staying:

Do not use the new flimsy racks in the remodeled rooms.
Have a manager on staff do a walk through with you before leaving and make them initial it.
Keep a close eye on your credit card for later charges by Raintree.
request an old room (as odd as that sounds).

Unique Quality: Nice enough (small) waterpark for very young kids. Lots of lifeguards on duty. Teens may get bored here as there is not much swimming space designed for anyone over 6. Rooms are inexpensive but customer service can be poor. Half the time the small snack bar is closed and you have to go out for food or have it delivered.

Wisconsin Dells Travel Forum

Need advice about Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin? Visit the Travel Forum for Wisconsin Dells and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Wisconsin Dells hotel reviews