Wilderness on the Lake

350 E. Hiawatha Dr., Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin, 53965, United States

More about Wilderness on the Lake

Nice But Overpriced

I visit Wisconsin Dells at least once every 2 years, since I was a little girl. It's a great place for families and the waterparks are awesome. Thus, I have stayed at many hotels in the Dells.

Wilderness on the Lake is definitely one of the nicer hotels in Wisconsin Dells, but I expected more for the price. We booked a 2 bedroom condo. It was very spacious. Even with 6 adults and 2 children, we had plenty of space and never felt crowded. The Water Taxi was an enjoyable ride, and there was ample shuttle service to and from the Wilderness Hotel & Golf Resort every five minutes. The waterparks were nice and clean too, except for the kiddie pools, which had the occasional floater of which I was surprised that the staff did not clean promptly. However, the condo had terrible beds. They were old and too soft. My husband and I took the master bedroom, which had a queen bed. This bed was so old, my husband and I had to keep from rolling into the middle. Also, the master bathroom was huge and the shower was equipped with 2 shower heads, but the water pressure was very low. In addition, I was displeased with the outdoor swimming pool. It is misrepresented on their website. The pool is profoundly smaller. Finally, I have to agree with the individuals claiming bad customer service. Upon checking out, the front desk did not even thank me for staying at the hotel. She simply said, "You're done. It's been charged to the card. You can go, now."

All in all, I would not stay at the Wilderness on the Lake again. I suggest Treasure Island. It is a much nicer hotel with better rooms and better service. The waterparks at Treasure Island are also more enjoyable.

Great vacation!

We had the best time!! The three bedroom loft was beautiful and clean and quiet! The outdoor pool was wonderful, not crowded and the view of lake delton was breath taking.The warm sunny weather made the vacation even better.The water taxi and the shuttle bus to the other water parks was wonderful the staff were friendly and helpful.We had 4adults 2 teens and 3 childern and everyone agreed that we want to make this at least a yearly
tradtion.We highly recommend the Wilderness on the Lake.

Loved Wilderness on the Lake

We took our children and grandchildren to The Wilderness on the Lake for our 40th anniversary trip. When we checked in, our 9 year old granddaughter said, "Grandma, this isn't Wisconsin, this is paradise". We all loved our condo. The view was exquisite. We had excellent service. The staff was extremely helpful. We really enjoyed the water taxi and the great water parks. We hope to return at a later date.

Great Vacation

My reunion of 12 members of my family was held at Wilderness on the lake and the three bedroom unit #409 was perfect. Some sat and played cards at night while the kids played in the jacuzzi tub and watched the TV. It got surprising chilly one night so we had a great time lighting off the gas fireplaces (both of them). The kids roasted marshmellows on the ground floor deck at night and during the day had the time of their lives at the clean and well run water park. We went to several other projects during our week to see what they were like (Kalaharie or something like that) and that hotel was dirty and the slides were real crowded because they let people go to their park by purchasing tickets.

The Wilderness did not allow others into the park so our kids had a blast with real fast rides and short lines.

I particularly liked the unit on the lake we rented as this hotel was quite at night when we wanted it to be quiet but we could go to the main Wilderness during the day when we wanted the action. What a great idea! If you are staying at The Wilderness on the Lake I would recomend you stay on the 4th floor and enjoy the three bedroom units. Our unit #409 was great!

Wilderness on the Lake was Wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member tanlines

We just had a "Girls Weekend" at Wilderness on the Lake September 16-19. 2005. There were 10 of us, in our mid-twenties, staying in a 3 bedroom condo.

This weekend was supposed to be a silly weekend for all of us to catch up. We expected a tacky resort but boy, were we wrong! The resort was very nice and the decor definitely followed a "wilderness" theme.

The 3-bedroom condo was very spacious and easily could have fit the 14 people maximum that the hotel allows. We thought 10 of us would be cramped but we had room for more!

The master bedroom was large and had a king bed, fireplace, TV, chair & coffee table, ample closet/dresser space, and a HUGE bathroom. There was enough room for four of us to dry hair, apply makeup, etc. at once!

The second bedroom had two queen beds, a chair, TV, and a dresser. This easily fit 4 adults.

The third "bedroom" was acutally a loft but also had 2 queen beds and a sleeper sofa. This was large enough to accomadate 4 plus people.

The second bathroom was also fairly large, with full bathtub w/ shower and large vanity.

Kitchen came totally equiped with pots/pans, utensils, dishwasher detergent, etc. There was a table large enough for 6. There was also a bar/island with 3 or 4 chairs.

The four seasons room had a hot tub large enough for four, 3 recliners, a fireplace, and coffee table. This room was screened in and had a lovely view overlooking Lake Delton. We spent the evenings in this room talking over wine and cheese.

The living room had a TV, another sofa sleeper, and a coffee table.

The condo also came with a washer/dryer and dishwasher.

The outdoor infinity pool and hottub were great for adults. Kids will enjoy the outdoor kiddie area and indoor kiddie waterpark. However, most families take the shuttle across the lake to the sister- property, the Wilderness Resort, for the indoor waterparks. The property across the lake is overrun with families and kids. We went over there and tried some of the slides but ended up coming back to our property to get away from the kids. If you are looking for a more relaxing vacation stay at Wilderness on the Lake.

My entire group had a wonderful weekend. Three of us are planning on taking seperate trips with our boyfriends during the winter. We think it will be really romantic!

Another great stay

by TripAdvisor Member DisneyLover29

This is our second stay at the Wilderness on the Lake in 4 months. My husband and our children brought along my mother and my oldest daughter's best friend. Everyone had a great time. My mother loved the all season room. We had PLENTY of room for 4 children and three adults. We got a great fall rate that was awesome !!! We couldn't pass it up ! The room was priced for up to 6 people. THe 7th they only charged $10 per night. We loved the waterparks as we did the first time. Of course the outdoor parks were not open this time of year but the indoors were not crowded at all. Going outside in the hot tub was WONDERFUL !!!! This trip pleased two teenagers, 2 younger kids, a grandmother, and my husband and myself. It was so much fun. We discovered this place over the summer and just had to go back. I could see us going back in the next few months as well. If you want a nice relaxing and very spacious condo to stay in then this is the place. For us a family of 5 you can't beat the price when you get a deal because it includes all of our entertainment and our stay is in a huge beautiful 2 bedroom condo. Doesn't get much better than this !

bad family experience for alot of money

we had a terrible time at the wilderness on the lake. for the money we paid it wasnt worth it. it was dirty and the laundry dryer didnt work and the hair dryer wasnt working. also the hot tub or really a small jucuzzi had a dirt ring around it. there were no;t enough hangers and my small grandson fell in the shower twice because the flooring was like a sheet of ice. we had to put towels on the shower floor as to not fall again. the lites were all very dim, like a cheap hotel and the most disgusting thing we came across was the bed spread had yellow stains all over it. there was no room service, as we were told to go the the resterant.
and the waterparks were cold and dirty. the lifegards didnt check the braclets that we had to have so anyone could just walk in there. we were totally disapointed. and when i complained i got the total run around. talk to this one, i dont handle that area and then when i call the other mgr she is gone and so on. it was not worth the 400.00 per nite.

Fun at The Lake!

Our family stayed in a two bedroom condo at WOL. The amenities available in the condo were fantastic. We loved the flexibility of being able to enjoy meals in the condo when we didn't have the time or energy to go to restaurants. Also, it was nice to spend time at the Wilderness and return to the quiet atmosphere of The Lake. When you consider the pluses of a condo over a hotel room, the condo is actually a better value. We intend to return soon.

Noisey, Overpriced & Rude! New Years a Bust for Us!

I've been a travel agent for 18 years and frequent several Dells properties. We like Wildnerness and thought we'd try the new condos on the Lake. Like other guests, we also had major noise problems from the unit above ours. At 2:30am, we were awakened by water POURING into our room from the hot tub above ours!We immediately called the front desk to report the problem. We were afraid the guest above us had fallen asleep in their tub with the water running and maybe alcohol was involved. We could hear them jumping. By 3:00am, the water stopped coming in, but we used ALL of our towels to sop it up. We had 2 families with young children so we were trying to be as quiet as possible not to wake up our kids. A little after 3AM, our phone repeatedly rang and woke everyone up. It was the guy at the front desk letting us know that he contacted the guests above us and they said, "we don't have any water on our floor." How Stupid! We didn't need a call at 3am to tell us that a couple of drunken people weren't interested in admitting property damage! Our ceiling drywall was SOAKED and showed major water damage & soaked carpet, not to mention we used ALL of our towels. My husband is a physician and was exhausted after we got NO SLEEP the entire night.The New Year's Eve party was ridiculous! They tried to put the entire resort into a 40 by 50 bar area. It was downright dangerous when the balloons dropped, since chilren were trampled on the floor and all of the exits were completely blocked. Our other room guest was a fireman and was so worried with the crowds that he stood on his chair, ready to rescue victims. We didn't dare allow our own children to participate. It was so scarey that we didn't even care about the traditions of Midnight. The "childrens games" consisted of a cheesy, sleezy guy in another area, who handed out some anograms he printed off the internet (how would a 9-year-old know who George Burns was?) and his "frozen wet t-shirt contest" was a complete disaster and in poor taste. Only about 15 kids could participate and there were hundreds in a very small area! We have spent the last 3 years at the Kalahari's party and it was always a memorable experience. After no sleep, no towels to bathe with and our all-night rainfall experience, the front desk clerk "Melanie" was rude and didn't even ask about our stay. We didn't want anything off our room, just some compasion. When I told her we were unhappy and would not ever stay there again, she simply ignored me and handed me a copy of my $600+ bill for our ONE night! As a travel agent, I know everyone will have different experiences at the same resort. I heard several other guests at the party and pool complain about service, lack of organized activities and room problems. The shuttle took us over 45 minutes in wet bathing suits to return after the party. The kids were starving after the fiasco, and the resort closed down all vendors and snack bars, even though the waterpark was open until midnight. What a wasted opportunity for additional revenue for them! There were lines of angry guests who rolled their eyes and expressed the same feelings. Sorry Wilderness, you've grown too big too fast and we'll just stick with the Great Wolf and Kalahari for our waterpark stays.

Great Stay

by TripAdvisor Member julezmc

My in-laws rented a condo for four days. They're in their early 40s, we're in our mid-20s, and the kids with us were 7, 1-1/2, and 3 mos. Don't bring a baby there, but otherwise, it was great. It was nice to have passes to the other waterpark & to do indoor and outdoor as well. Plenty to do in the park. The condo was big and luxurious and not cramped at all for the 7 of us. Laundry in the room & full kitchen, living room, den/hot tub area, as well as sliders straight out to grilling and tables area off the pool. The pool was beautiful, infinity, with a great kids area. Great time by all! Well, except me-lugging a baby around-but I hope to bring those kids back there this spring- now that they'll be 3 and 4, we'll ALL be able to enjoy ourselves, I think! My inlaws paid, but I want to say it was something like 4,000 for the condo for 4 nights, but of course there's cheaper alternatives-they're kinda ritzy so that's how they do it. But def. go!

Comments