Wyoming Hotels

Our Members Say

• shavy profile photo shavy
  • Reviews: 906

Virginian Lodge: Good location

Top Location! Jackson is a nice town. Good base for visiting Grand Teton National Park and to further drive to Yellowstone National Park. Friendly staff..

The hotel features a seasonal outdoor heated pool and hot tub. All dormitories include free Wi-Fi and offers a restaurant. Bar, 24-Hour Front Desk, Newspapers, Non-Smoking Rooms, Facilities for disabled, Family Rooms, Heating, Luggage Storage, Ski Storage, Air Conditioning. Free parking available. You can park on site. Reservations are not necessary.

• Related to: National/State Park, Photography
  • Written April 21, 2013

Virginian lodge

• DueSer profile photo DueSer
  • Reviews: 352

Lake Yellowstone Hotel: One of the Old 'Grand' Hotels

I tend to plan too much. I want to see and experience as much as I possibly can on every single day of every trip I take and as a result, sometimes I end up totally exhausted at the end of the day. That's what happened on the day I discovered the Lake Yellowstone Hotel. I began the day very early in Salt Lake City. I left there and drove north. I stopped in Jackson Hole briefly before going on and stopping for quite a while at Grand Tetons National Park. Then I headed on to Yellowstone. I drove to Old Faithful and got to see it erupt (right on schedule:-)) and then, as the sun was sinking in the west, I realized that not only was it rather late in the afternoon but that I was exhausted, really tired of driving, and not ready to leave Yellowstone because it was so much more beautiful than I had expected.

As I drove through the park trying to decide what to do, I passed this huge old yellow building. I turned around and went back to the Lake Yellowstone Hotel and checked in. I was very lucky. I got a room for much less than I had expected some place like this to be. It was originally built in the late 1800s and underwent a full renovation in the 1990s to restore it to its heyday of the 1920s. Just walking into the stylish lobby, I thought for sure I was out of my price range but, although I paid more for a room than I normally do, it wasn't so exorbitant that I had to leave. So I checked in. I got a room in a two-story building called the Annex on the grounds of the hotel. These are "high range" rooms, which sounds expensive but actually aren't too bad. I had a very comfortable room and full, private bath for just over $100 (US).

Other room options are in the main building of the hotel or in one of the cabins nearby if you'd like to really "rough it."

There are several dining options, including the main dining room just off the lobby or the deli, also inside the main hotel. I chose to go on a short walk over to the Lake Lodge Cafeteria where they serve a wide variety of food in an old cabin sitting amongst the trees near the lake. It's more casual than the dining room (and less expensive) but still offered something good to eat.

I had to go check out the lake while I was there (good thing the sun sets close to 9pm in the summer). On the lake side of the hotel is an old park tourbus, used in the 1920s to take guests around the park. Near the lake off to the side of the hotel is where I ran into the grazing buffalo. I was on my way back to the Annex Building from the lake. There are some trees there and the buffalo was just casually eating grass and, thankfully, not paying me much attention. They give you a lot of warnings in the park. Buffalo can run faster than people and you can't exactly reason with them, so I kept my distance but it was fun to get that close to a wild animal.

A couple of disclaimers about the hotel - it's in the middle of the woods, which are in the middle of a national park - there are no tvs, no internet connections, even in the regular rooms. There's also no air conditioning but this is Wyoming - it doesn't usually get too hot. Also, the hotel is only open from May-October.

The views are amazing. Yellowstone Lake is huge and around the hotel area of the lake are wildflowers and buffalo munching on the grass. The buffalo actually come onto the grounds of the hotel to graze. You have to be careful but it's definitely a unique experience to run into a buffalo on your way to dinner.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: National/State Park, Historical Travel
  • Written February 14, 2009

Historic Lake Yellowstone Hotel

• seoulgirl profile photo seoulgirl
  • Reviews: 256
Cowboy Villae: Isolated Resort in the mountains

I worked at this resort for 6 weeks. My husband worked at the desk. They arrange horse riding trips (and the wranglers are real wranglers, guys that work with horses). There are "real" cowboys there that work with cows, herding cows. It's about an hour and a half from Yellowstone park. It's a really nice place. they have cabins for families or you can stay in the large resort hotel. There is a nice restaurant with fine dining food or just burgers and a sandwich. They have a cowboy cookout. There is alot of nature to explore around there.

Very peaceful. You can just relax and enjoy the natural surroundings, go hiking, or horse back riding.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Family Travel, Mountain Climbing, Horse Riding
  • Written June 18, 2008

• iammon profile photo iammon
  • Reviews: 345

Flag Ranch Resort: Resort in Grand Teton NP

Resort with nice log cabins. In middle of beautiful pine trees. Good location between the both National Parks.

Two Queen size beds in cabin. There is a fine restaurant and a gift shop and a little grocery store.

• Related to: Spa and Resort
  • Written March 7, 2008

• 807Wheaton profile photo 807Wheaton
  • Reviews: 881

Wagon Wheel Village, Jackson Hole, Wyoming: Great Value with good amenities

We had a cabin with a queen size bed and a shower in the bathroom. I requested a shower about a week before we arrived because I was recovering from a broken leg. The person that took my call was very helpful and arranged the last minute change for me.
The bathroom in our cabin was small but it was new and everything in it was clean and attractive. It was perfectly adequate. The lighting was good in the lamps, over the vanity and overhead fan/light fixture. The TV remote did not have numbers so we had to click through every channel. We didn't spend much time watching TV with so much to see in Jackson. We found an extra warm blanket in the drawer for our two nights that were a little chilly. We had our own parking space right by the cabin so we didn't have to walk far from the car. For my situation it was perfect.
We could see their Wagon Village Restaurant from our cabin window so we were able to walk over and have breakfast there. Very convenient.
I originally booked the Wagon Wheel Village because of its close location to town. With a broken leg we never did walk to town but because I had a handicapped parking tag, we were able to find a parking place. It was also easy to drive across the street from here to the National Elk Refuge. There were several volunteers outside on the deck offering help with identifying birds and animals. They had their scopes and offered them to us for a look.
I definitely would stay here again and would recommend it for its value price with good amenities.

Great location near the town of Jackson Hole and close to National Elk Refuge. The cabin was small but cozy. We loved it!
I located Wagon Wheel Village on www.tripadvisor.com

• Related to: National/State Park, Fishing, Seniors
  • Written July 8, 2007
Tip Photo

Our cabin and rental car

• Homanded profile photo Homanded
  • Reviews: 306

Dornan's Spur Ranch Cabins: On the base of the Tetons

We've only stayed here one time and, unfortunately, it was an awful experience.

The evening went something like this:

We had been out visiting friends and, had developed a horrible headache. I now believe it was altitude sickness...
After arriving back at the cabins, I had been up and making frequent trips to the bathroom vomiting all night.
At about 3am, I awoke to find someone in bed with me! I jolted Eddie out of bed, both turned on the light and to our surprise, there lay a scruffy, bearded young man covered in mud, twigs and a very disheveled look to him! He reeked of alcohol!

We started screaming for him to get out, demanding to know how he'd gotten in and trying to push him out the door.
He could barely stand he was so drunk (or high).
Ended up, he was an employee of Dornan's, working the Pizza Restaurant. He and several buddies had been drinking by the river and, he'd eventually passed out.
In his drunken state, confused, he had wondered to our cabin and, thanks to a faulty latch, he'd managed to walk in and pass out on our bed thinking he was back at his employee dorm!

Police and manager was called, he lost his job, we were apologized to profusely and, we promptly checked out of the place the following day.
To their credit, they refused to charge us and could not have been nicer.
I cannot help but wonder what would've happened had I been an older woman staying there by myself or, a child who's room that young man had wondered into.

They are ideally situated at the base of the Teton Range and, offer various activities which can be organized from their premises.
You will not have a hard time finding them as they are known throughout the valley and, their tell tale giant Indian Tee-pee acts like a beacon, from far away.

I have to say that no trip to Jackson Hole is complete w/out a stop at their deli for what has to be the BEST sandwiches in all of Jackson.
Try the Ham with Apricot Chutney....
We always get some of their natural granola and a couple sandwhiches to take on our hikes...made to order, you decide what you want in them!
People rave about their bbq...I didn't find it particularly good.

They also provide a fully stocked sporting good store and a grocery store which, although convinient if you're staying in a campground in the general area is way too expensive for serious stocking up.
Go into Jackson and stock up at the Albertson's instead.
Their meats offered here are A-1 however and very very fresh!

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written April 10, 2007

• Homanded profile photo Homanded
  • Reviews: 306

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Budges Lower Slide Lake Cabins: BEST cabins and hosts in all of Wyoming!

We have been staying here since the early 90's when we first discovered the magic that is Jackson Hole, the Grand Tetons and, thankfully, Lower Slide Lake.
I'd like to say that Jane and Danny Budge, the owners, contributed to our initial experience and, to our love of the area.
With their guidance, wonderful sense of hosting and, the incredible comfort that is their cabins, situated in an idealic surrounding, you will be sure to fall in love too.

We've stayed at all four cabins throughout our many visits but, our favorites are, #4, if traveling solo or, #1 if in a group (which has numbered as high as 8)!

The cabins offer seclusion, wonderful ammenities, and a surrounding which is heaven on earth!
A beautiful lake, brimming with trout right outside your door.
Hummingbirds feeding from your window feeders or, flowers during the summertime to, eagles nesting right across the cabin on the far side of the lake. You can watch the Osprey teach their chicks to fish!
Beavers build up their dam and swim alond side the lake shore as you watch the sun set!

During the winter, we've seen BigHorn Sheep, Elk and deer wonder up to the cabin and, on one particular year, a red fox who kept pressing his nose against the glass begging for food he's become so used to guests giving him generous handouts!

We cannot say enough about this place and, it is only made better by Jane and Danny's good and kind heart. They are helpful beyond words.
For a wonderful reading on their roots (the Budges stem back from the early settlers) pick up a copy of: Legacy of the Tetons, a guide to Homesteading in Jackson Hole by Candy Vyvey Moulton or, Thje Grand Controversy by Orrin H. Bonney and Lorraine G. Bonney.
This will also fill in the gap on how the lake was formed during that fateful night in May of 1927 and, all who perished with the wall of water.

Please take the opportunity to hike into the area surrounding the lake and, drive beyond the cabins to the Red Rock area. One of the more gorgeous yet, seldom visited parts of the park.
Go early afternoon for most dramatic colors!

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Hiking and Walking, National/State Park, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written April 10, 2007
Tip Photo

Cabins as seen from atop the slide

Green Gables Inn: Very nice, new motel

We were lucky enough to stay here during their opening weekend. They were offering 1/2 off the price of the rooms. I think we paid $54. It was very nice, comfortable, and as clean as you'd expect a brand new hotel to be. It's a short drive to the downtown area of Cody, definitely not a walk.

• Written June 9, 2005

Al's Westward Ho Motel: Clean, reasonably priced motel

The family run Al's is clean and quiet. The location is ideally situated right outside the entrance to Yellowstone Park, in the town of West Yellowstone, Montana.

Family run. Walking distance to town. Good prices. Clean.

No breakfast, no A/C

• Written June 6, 2005

Kundar Motel: Nice hotel, but possibly with bedbugs

This Motel in Jackson Hole had to option of staying in two room cabins. They are quite charming, reasonably priced, and within walking distance of the town square. The cabin cost about $80 a night. Split three ways and that's not a bad deal.

The owner did inform us that the motel was bought out by the city of Jackson Hole. They're going to tear it down and build a convention center. A pity.

A couple of caveats regarding this motel. The hot water takes forever to get going, at least 5-10 minutes in the morning. The beds are springy and squeaky. And it's possible that they have bed bugs. My parents both came home with rashes on their arms and legs. I did not. Maybe because I was sleeping in pajamas with long pants and sleeves, maybe just luck.

• Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel, Adventure Travel
  • Written June 6, 2005

motel

My Great Grandfather Charlie's Moose: Charlie the Moose

My Great Grandfather, Charlie, shot this moose at the ranch over 50 years ago. The mount is a tribute to him. "Charlie the Moose" is in Moose, our recreation cabin. Billiards, ping pong, a library of books, piano, and other games are all for guests and friends to use. This cabin was one of the original Tie Hack cabins in the late 1800-early 1900's.

• Written April 21, 2004

Charlie the Moose

The ranch in the winter: Wintertime in Dubois, Wyoming

Here is the ranch in the wintertime. My family and I use the ranch for private use in the winter. It is only accesible by cross country skiing or snowmobiling. One day, I would like to start business in the winter. Such a beautiful place.

• Written April 21, 2004

Winter Wonderland

• 78Eva profile photo 78Eva
  • Reviews: 121

Dubois - Branding Iron Inn: Log-Cabin motel

On a road trip through Wyoming, I stayed at the Branding Iron Inn in Dubois, Wyoming. It's about an hour away from the Yellowstone Park. I really enjoyed staying there. It was 40 $ for two people, it was clean and pretty and the owners were very nice and helpful. The town is small and pretty, looks like a Western town, all wood, and you can get a great breakfast at the Cowboy Cafe.

the fun thing about the motel was that every room was a log-cabin. It have you the feeling of a whole different time and era, but it wasn't primitive or cold or anything.

• Related to: Budget Travel, National/State Park, Adventure Travel
  • Written November 8, 2003
Tip Photo

• dutch_anna profile photo dutch_anna
  • Reviews: 218

Circle Up Camper Court: RV's, tents and Tipi's

65 RV sites, 35 tent sites, hookups, dump station, restrooms, showers, laundry, pool, tables, grills, recreation room.
Tipi's for rent.

• Related to: Road Trip
  • Written August 15, 2003

sleeping in a tipi?

Ramshorn Guest Ranch: Wyoming's Best Accomodation

Rustic, your own pace type of place, get away from the everyday rush of life.

Mountains, wildlife, mountain biking, fishing, photography, great artist getaway, hiking, reading, or just plain relaxin' in the West.

• Written April 1, 2003