Sundance Inn

135 West Broadway, Jackson, Wyoming, 83001, United States

More about Jackson

Fun, or Embarrassing?Fun, or Embarrassing?

Float Trip On the Snake RiverFloat Trip On the Snake River

Inside Billy's.Inside Billy's.

Freemont and Jackson PeaksFreemont and Jackson Peaks

May or September 3 nights enough or too little????

by SWEETPOPPI

Planning a trip to Jackson, just wondered if anyone has a reccomendations on whether May or September/early October is a better time to visit ( I heard it was SNOWING today)don't mind the cold but would like to hike, explore etc. Also, 3 nights 2 1/2 days-is it enough to see the area or would 4 nights 3 1/2 days be better.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

by twohourlunch

I've been to the Jackson area during both of times of year. My recollection:

May: It snowed like mad (we had to put on chains on Mother's Day); the baby bison were wonderful to view; the snow was beautiful. I happen to like snow, so I was happy. But, cold.

October/late September: The leaves were beautiful (though we missed the peak); the animals were fat and sassy after the summer (a local said that fall is the best time for animal viewing); the weather was perfect (sunny during the day, but, rather chilly in the evening).

If you are planning on visiting the two national parks plus poking around Jackson, I would plan on at least 4 nights -- and that's pushing it. It is truly a beautiful area.

by travelgourmet

Late May, early June, that was my favorite time to be in Jackson. Snow on the Grand Tetons and fast running water on the Snake River. Tourists still not at peak and the town is more open. As for how long, that is up to you and what you want to do. If you can do 4 nights, then go for it. There is always something to do in or around Jackson.

by SWEETPOPPI

Thanks for your advice, booked 4 nights in May and can't wait!

by Homanded

I love September!!!
The leaves are turning, the animals are fat and eating up food for the upcoming winter.
Elk are bugling and the bison are gathered.
Most tourist rushes have started leaving the valley and yellowstone as school's back in session.
Days are clear, warm(ish) and the nights cool way down.
GREAT hiking at this time of the year.

Travel Tips for Jackson

Jackson is the quintissential...

by JBER

Jackson is the quintissential ski town. With a Western Cowboy flavor, this town also is home to the likes of Harrison Ford and others who enjoy the rustic nature and beautiful vistas the area has to offer. Skiing the Steep and Deep. Jackson has three quality ski areas: Snowking - Good for night skiing and warmup. Pretty Steep for being right in town; Grand Targhee - Worth the Drive. It takes about an hour to get through the pass, but Grand Targhee gets dumped on and has some of the best powder skiing around; Teton Village - The main mountain. Home to Corbett's Couloir. Great all around mountain with solid advanced terrain.

summer vs winter

by jomusick

Summer: Lightweight bags for backpacking and mountain hiking.
Winter: Enough to hold your winter wardrobe, you're gonna need it. Summer: Bring good hiking shoes, and avoid stilettos. The town is covered in wooded planked sidewalks. Also, in the summer it can rain sporadically, so watch out for the clouds, you can usually see them coming.
Winter: Snow Boots, and a really warm parka. All you can, there will be so much nature to shoot. Summer: You can camp light, and backpack into the park, or camp out of your car at many yellowstone sites.
Winter: Yeah, I don't do that. It can be like -25 degrees, during the DAY.

Grand Teton Brewing

by richiecdisc

I knew things were looking a bit fishy when I began seeing the labels for Teton and Old Faithful Ale. The did not quite looks the same as I remembered from my 1994 visit to the area but I couldn't put my finger on it. They certainly looked close but not exact. I also had not seen my favorite of their beers, the greatly named Moose Juice Stout.

I stopped by at Otto Brothers Brewing in Wilson, Wy in 1994. Along with touring the national parks that summer, I was also hitting every small brewery in my path. The stop by to see the Otto Brothers was one of the most memorable. These two hippies were holed up in a small brewery with an even smaller tasting room attached. They were hands-on, doing everything themselves. They loved to talk and of course, loved the idea that my girlfriend and I were touring so many breweries. We enjoyed the beers enough on tap but mostly bought some bottles as well as a few t-shirts as they were such cool guys. The next fall, I wound up running into them at the Great American Beer Festival in Denver and they saw me coming from 100 feet away. They remembered me instantly even though I was now without my ex-girlfriend.

Once I knew I was heading back out to the Grand Tetons to show the wild west to my wife, I began looking for the brewery online. I found it and didn't even realize it had changed its name to Teton Brewing. The logo looked so similar you didn't even notice Otto Brothers was no longer part of it. We were in the area for nearly two weeks but spent the majority of the time in the national park and the rest in Snake River Brewing which had grown since my last visit into one of the top brewpubs in the country as far as quality was concerned. In fact, if my old memories of the Wilson brewery hadn't been so good, I would have blown off going back. As it turned out, it was no longer in Wilson, but had moved 15 miles west to Victor, ID. Those 15 miles were also over a huge pass that while overing a scenic drive were bound to slow the trip down and burn more of the gas that was selling for well over $4 a gallon in the summer of 2008. No, matter, we decided to go. No trip to the area seemed complete without checking it out.

The drive was scenic if slow and my wife got to be in Idaho even if for only a couple hours. Another state off her list. We arrived to find a much bigger facility, explaining why I had seen their beers in so many places in the region. The tasting room was a lot bigger too and the brothers Otto were nowhere to be seen. A very friendly girl was manning the taps and was certainly a willing accomplice in helping us taste their wares. She explained that they had moved to Victor in 1998 likely due for tax and certainly less expensive real estate reasons. They changed the name to Teton Brewing in 2000 to make it more recognizable over a larger area. With the peaks already in the logo, I guess it made sense. The brothers were still working the brewery but not so much like in the old days and were in the process of looking for buyers so they could retire and move onto other interests. Sadly, they had been sued over the use of the name Moose Juice Stout by Moosehead of Canada so were no longer making my favorite of their beers. It was a bit sad but at least I had gotten to the bottom of what happened with the logo and name. I probably won't be out that way again but if you enjoy trying new beers, I would say it's worth the scenic trip.

Our hostess was quite free with the samples, prices for pints were good and considering we tried 8 beers for $8, I could not complain about the visit. Doreen nicely agreed to be my designated driver back over the pass! Danke.

Anyway, the beers: 1) Workhorse-4%-10.4 IBU (International Bittering Units)-Light golden American Wheat ale. A bit too smooth and lacking real character. 2) Au Naturale-4.9%-23 IBU-organic-Bland Belgian style thin on flavor. 3) Teton Ale-4.9%-24 IBU-Amber session ale w/ good balance of malt & hops. Crisp clean finish. 4) Fest Bier-Marzen-Amber w/ spicy malt character. Bready but not quite as dry as the real McCoy. Still, not a bad attempt. 5) Beetch Creek-5.5%-51 IBU-Darker amber session brew w/ good hop/malt balance. Dry bitter finish but remains balanced throughout. 6) Sweet Grass IPA-5.5%-58 IBU-Light golden IPA with medium hop bitterness. Seems to be missing some malt in its mix. This oddly won the gold medal at the Great American Beer Festival in 2009! Maybe it's better now. 7) Double IPA-Deep golden hearty brew with much bigger mouthfeel and better balance & complexity. Rich & malty w/ long dry finish. Not in league with the very best (Racer #5 in Califorina) but a noble attempt at a difficult style. 9) Double Organic Red-Rich malty brew which should have been tried earlier in tasting but it seemed to need a bit more hops in the finish to dry it out.

I notice on their website they have some very interesting seasonal beers like Double Cauldron Imperial Stout so maybe I will go back again after all!

Take Route 22 west out of Jackson, head over the pass, and it becomes Route 33. The brewery is on the north side of the road just before you get into Victor proper in Idaho. It's a little over 17 miles and should take you about a half hour.

Pizza

by Florida999 about Mountain High Pizza Pie

We had really good pizza there, plus I had a Greek salad that was large enough to feed 4 people.

Compared to most restaurants we went to in Wyoming which ranged from junkfood chain restaurants to diners that mostly served Buffalo burgers and fries, it was a nice change to have some decent pizza.

The only regret I had was that after we ate, I located a small take-out place next to it that had Indian food, but only certain days of the week. We went back a few days later and they didn't have any. pizza and Greek salad

My Experience Didn’t Match the Reviews

by KimberlyAnn about Cadillac Grille

I had read reviews for the Cadillac Grille on the Tripadvisor website, and out of the 59 reviews that were posted, 29 rated the restaurant as excellent, and 11 as very good. Only 10 people thought the restaurant was below average. AAA gave it a three star rating, plus the restaurant has been written up in Bon Appetit twice, but I was less than impressed. Maybe I just ordered the wrong thing, or maybe we had a substitute cook, or a lesser cook, as we only ate a lunch here, but I would be hesitant to try it again. It wasn’t a terrible lunch, but far from outstanding. My husband had fried calamari, and it was a huge serving, so I shared a little with him. It was good, but we have had better. We both had the French Onion Soup. He liked it better than I did. It was very salty, and had so much melted cheese in it, that it was hard to eat. I had a chicken satay, and although the sauces were quite nice, the chicken was way over cooked, dry and tough. If I ever went again, which is highly doubtful, I would definitely stay away from chicken.

Some of the other items that I could have chosen from were Buffalo, Elk, and beef burgers, a large variety of sandwiches, and salads. I checked out their dinner menu while I waited for my lunch. It looked quite interesting with steaks, braised bison brisket, a number of fish choices, lamb, and a wild game mix that looked really interesting. This mix included buffalo ribs, elk steak strips, and wild boar sausage.

The decor was contemporary and casual.

The prices were about average for this type of restaurant.

Comments