750 West Broadway, PO Box 1052, Jackson, Wyoming, 83001, United States

lunch at Amphitheater Lakelunch at Amphitheater Lake

Stinchcomb BasinStinchcomb Basin

Ski Rental info needed

by Tex-Anne

We are traveling to Jackson for Christmas and want to rent ski equipment for 2 adults for 3 days. What is the best place and about how much will it cost? We plan to ski at Teton Village but will be staying in town. How much is it to rent skis at Teton Village?

RE: Ski Rental info needed

by rw-bigfoot

I don't know about Jackson but at some other ski towns there are discount tickets at the grocery stores in the area of the ski slopes.

Lots of ski shops both in town and at the Village-

by WYScott

Rental prices are pretty much the same across the board. I guess I would recommend Jack Dennis Sports, they have a shop in town and also at the mountain. Rental prices are not carved in stone. Negotiate a multi day price. It helps to open negotiations with a six pack of green bottles.

Here is a link...

RE: RE: Ski Rental info needed

by Tex-Anne

Thanks for the info...that is very interesting about the green bottles. Now, can you tell me which snow mobiling group is the most fun or best trip to go on? We've been to Jackson numerous times and have been to Granite Springs in the summer as well as Yellowstone. It looks like the price difference is negligible, all things considered. It looks like $200.+ a day for whatever you want to do is the going rate. There will be 4 of us going snowmobiling (mom, dad and a 19 and 21 year old). We've been snowmobiling before, but it was at a private ranch, which we don't have access to anymore, sadly. So, this will be the first time we've gone with an outfitter. Also, have you ever been dogsledding? Is it fun?

Beer is the universal language of the rental shop monkey.

by WYScott

A simple gift- bribe is a nasty word- of a of a six pack will get you preferential treatment every time. Rent skis at the ski area, so you don't have to carry them back and forth to town. Ski lockers are available for minimal fees or for just a few green bottles, the shop monkeys will let you leave them in the shop. I know because I used to be one.
You're right about the snowmobile cost, pretty much standard across the board. Yellowstone is great in winter, but a very loooong day. Riding up ther is restricted to the roads. If you're looking for wildlife that's your best bet. If you are more interested in snowmobiling for the the sake of just riding, Granite Canyon is a good trip, with a destination swim in the hot spring pool. The Gros Ventre mountains, on the east side of the valley would be my choice. Scenery isn't an issue, we have it everywhere you look. On the Granite and Gros Ventre trips you can ride off the road, across the meadows and hills.
Frank Teasley runs Jackson Hole Iditarod Dogsled tours from his base at the foot of Granite Canyon. Frank is a veteran Iditarod racer and everyone I've spoken with loved the experience of driving a team of dogs, or just riding the sled.
Christmas dinner? The Wort Hotel/Silver Dollar Bar has a Christmas Day seafood,prime rib, ham & turkey buffet with all the fixins' and then some.$28/person last year. Make a day of it.

RE: Ski Rental info needed

by lizard9800

I don't know about the beer bribe thing because I own gear, but Jack Dennis is one of the pricier places in town and they don't specialize in skis. I would recommend either Hoback Sports, The Edge, or Snow King.

Travel Tips for Jackson

Some Locals, Some Not

by KimberlyAnn

Locals in Jackson know that tourism is the basis for the economy, and because of this they will try to make your stay enjoyable and comfortable. Most people, especially the locals are friendly and helpful. Remember, however, that this doesn’t mean that just because you are a tourist, you deserve to have every request met exactly as you have asked. I live in a small, Wyoming tourist town, and I have seen some really rude tourists. If you are rude, you may be treated rudely yourself.

The cost of living, should you fall in love with Jackson, is extremely high. Only the very wealthy can afford homes here, and a number of movie stars have residences in Jackson.

Also while in Jackson, Grand Teton, or Yellowstone, if you notice that the store clerk, your waiter or waitress, or hotel employee has an accent other than U.S. English, ask where the worker is from. You may be surprised how far they have come to work in the area, especially in the parks. College students, and young people from all over the world come for summer jobs.

Snowboarding - Bring Your $$$!

by KarinL

It's pricey for sure - so check out Northwest Airline's site. They often have a $12 off coupon that you need to print out and bring to the ticket window, along with your Frequent Flier card. This only works once in a season. You can also try to find someone who isn't using every day of their multi-day pass, and offer them half price for it. Renting is $22 per day, and $19 per day if you do three consecutive days.

Grand Teton Brewing Company...it's in Idaho

by kazander

I had heard a lot about The Grand Teton Brewing company and their interestingly named beers. We figured we should make a little trip out to the brewery to sample some beer. Now before you get the wrong idea as I did, it's not a pub, there is no resturant, it's not even a bar, it's just the actual brewery with a tiny tasting room. Our time there was all of 15 minutes. We sampled some beers, the B1tch Creek was actually my favorite, Lou was a fan of the Teton Ale. Sadly they no longer make the Huckleberry Wheat, I was looking forward to trying that one!
The brewery also creates it's own root beer and ginger ale.
Getting here was really half the fun. It's only 20 miles away from Jackson, but the road travels over the Teton Pass. The scenery is quite spectacular!
If you don't make it out here, I'm sure you'll find their beers in almost any bar or resturant.

RT. 33
Victor, Idaho

Don't Let The Southern Nickname Fool You

by julesrules23 about Bubba's Barbeque

If you go, then you must go there twice. Once for breakfast and once for lunch or dinner. Hands down great food. Fantastic eggs and biscuits...and the best ribs in town. Gets very crowded as it is popular, but it's popular because it's so good. ribs, ribs, ribs, biscuits, eggs, ribs

Decent Beer - Not So Decent Food

by WheninRome about Snake River Brewing Company

I went to the Snake River Brewing Company twice while in Jackson Hole - once for a beer and dinner and once just for a beer. The brewery was packed and had a lot of locals so it must have something going for it. Personally, I thought the food was sub-mediocre and the beer to be mediocre.

For food, I had a buffalo chicken sandwhich and fries, which were both pretty pathetic. There was 4 times more bun than chicken, which was a tiny and tasteless filet. The fries were soggy and under-cooked. Perhaps just a bad night in the kitchen? The guy to the left of me at the bar had a pizza, which looked slightly better, and the guy to the right had fish and chips - he sent his meal back due to it being under-cooked and received another.

I consider myself to be an amateur connoisseur of microbrews and feel lucky to have a breweries such as Great Lakes Brewery and the Buckeye Beer Engine so close in the Cleveland area. Perhaps I am even spoiled by these microbrews and by the wide selection of U.S. and international handcrafted brews available in my area. Regardless, I was underwhelmed by Snake River Brewing Company's beers. I tried 3 different beers: their Snake River Lager, a Double Fistin IPA and their Dim Witbier. Of those, I found the Witbier to be the best, but even it far from knocked my socks off. In fairness, another local told me that their best seasonal beers are made in the winter.

Still, after a long day on the trail or in the shops, the Snake River Brewing Company offers a nice evening respite for a couple beers and snacks (eat dinner at your own risk). I particularly enjoyed taking my pint outside to enjoy in the beautiful Jackson Hole weather. It sure beats spending a fortune in 1 of the downtown establishments, where they sell Snake River's beer and mark it up 50 cents to a dollar per glass. I did not have a favorite dish. Dinner was not worth getting. Stick with the appetizers and the beer, or just the beer.

Comments