2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 2.5 star hotels

• DEBBBEDB's Profile Photo

Lake and Mountains

We had a stop here on our tour to give people a chance to buy snacks etc, and I went down to the lakefront to take photos. That's really the only place you can get a photo of this huge yellow hotel.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Rest Stop

We had a stop at this hotel on our "Ring of Fire" tour (photo 2). The driver/guide explained to us that the road used to follow the lake and the first view of the hotel was as you came out of the trees. But the traffic was too much for that road, but now the first approach is from the back looking at all the fire escapes, outbuildings, parking lots and garbage bins.

Unique Quality: Although it doesn't look like it, this hotel is actually older than the Old Faithful Inn as it was built in 1891. It's not rustic hotel. The original hotel, built for a the Northern Pacific Railroad was a large three-story structure described as 'barracks like' with projecting bays at each end.

The architect of the Old Faithful Inn, Robert Reamer, redesigned the hotel in 1903 - adding the ionic columns, extending the roof in three places, and adding the 15 false balconies, which prompted it to be known for several years as the "Lake Colonial Hotel." A number of further changes by 1929, including the addition of the dining room, porte-cochere (portico - photo 3), and sunroom (photo 4) as well as the refurbishing of the interior.

It's a completely different architecture than anything else in the park and has a marvelous view (photo 5). After it was refurbished it was put on the National Register of Historic Places.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

more what you expect and on the lake

Unique Quality: Yellowstone Lake Lodge is another rustic log hotel on Yellowstone Lake which offers more budget oriented accommodation than its big yellow nearby neighbor. Though not quite as impressive as the Old Faithful Inn, it features two stone fireplaces in the rustic woodsy lobby of the main building along with a great open porch full of rockers overlooking the stunning lake. It was a bit nippy the day we visited so sitting outside was out of the question but we did enjoy the fireplace while planning our exit from the park.

Accommodation is in cabins clustered around the main building which also features cafeteria style dining, perfect for families and those on a budget. Cabin prices reflect amenities and modernity with the highest going for $157 and the low rung ones for as little as $70 including private bath.

Directions: On Yellowstone Lake, just up the road from its more famous cousin hotel.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

a touch of Florida?

Unique Quality: Though lacking much of the Old Faithful Inn's charm, the Yellowstone Lake Hotel actually predates it, having been completed in 1891. The original structure was updated by Old Faithful Inn architect Robert Reamer when his rugged masterpiece was built in 1904.

Set right on Yellowstone Lake, it lacks not for a scenic setting, though its own beauty is a matter of opinion. We found the exterior a bit garish, with the yellow coloring only appropriate to the park's name, not with its setting. The interior reminded us of an old condo complex in Florida, something we are both knowledgeable in, having worked as Realtors in the state for a few years. Needless to say, we did not linger too long here. It reminded us of work too much!

Suites go for $600 per night with smaller rooms in the main building going for a little over $200. Less expensive options are clustered around the main hotel with remodeled cabins fetching $135.

Directions: Located on Yellowstone Lake, in the southern part of the park.

• PALLINA's Profile Photo

park's finest

We stayed in the cheapest option, i.e. the cabin. Actually there are also cabin without bathrooms, but I wouldn't raccomend it because temperature in the night are really low (also 2°C or 28° F) so it can be not so pleasant to go out because of toilet's needs. If you want to stay in the hotel, spend something more and stay in the hotel. In the lobby there is everything you might need: 5-6 helpful people at receptions, a big shop, a nice terrace where classical music is played every night, photos exibitions, an elegant restaurant and an excellent bar.

If you want a cabin, go to the several RV parks, surely cheaper than Lake Y. Hotel'cabins.

Unique Quality: It has the most elegant restaurant of the park (even more than Old Faithful Inn's Dining); for a cheaper breakfast go to the near Lake Lodge, which has a self-service cafeteria.

Directions: Lake Area

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Best place to stay?

We spent two nights in a Frontier Cabin at the Lake Yellowstone Hotel, and although the cabin’s specification was the same as the one at the Old Faithful Snow Lodge, this was in every way a better experience! OK it did cost a little more ($112 rather than $92) but it was really worth it. For one thing, the cabin was nicer – larger and with four windows making it feel really light and airy. [Actually, to be honest the cabin we checked into did have one fault – the carpet was still very wet from a recent wash. But the staff on the reception desk were very helpful and managed to find us an alternative one despite the fact that they were obviously very busy and had lots of guests to accommodate.]

The hotel itself, where we ate, drank and relaxed on both evenings, is really lovely – an elegant colonial style building very unlike the usual “national park rustic” style you find elsewhere. There’s a large conservatory-type lounge with beautiful views of the lake, where you can get great cocktails (try the ruby red cosmopolitan!) and enjoy live piano music before and after dinner, or get a breakfast coffee and pastry if you don’t want the full works. And the dining room again is very light and manages to feel quite peaceful and stylish despite the large size and considerable numbers being served. We also enjoyed the food here more than at Old Faithful – see my dining tip for details.

Unique Quality: Lots to recommend this place, if you don't mind paying a little extra - the views of the lake (though not from the cabins), the elegant atmosphere, the fine dining! And I guess if you really wanted to splash out it would be a great experience to stay in one of the hotel rooms themselves but that would cost you around $200 a night.

Directions: On the western shore of the lake a few miles south of Fishing Bridge

• CraigT's Profile Photo

The Grand Lake Yellowstone Hotel

We were fortunate to gain a room at the famous hotel. We drove up on the back side and the view was a little disappointing....nothing spectacular here in the old structure (try to enter on the lake side for an impressive view of the grand hotel). Once inside however, we were met with a wonderfully welcoming lobby with large spaces and unique colors. Again the designers and renovators were given a budget to create a beautiful environment. There are plenty of comfortable sitting areas with great views of Lake Yellowstone. If you're fortunate as we were, you can watch a summer storm pass over the lake. Here our room was simple but clean and comfortable. We stayed in the annex which is just a short walk to main hotel. Cabins are also available. Again the food in the main dining room was great although a bit pricey. I believe I had the best bleu cheese dressing on my dinner salad I had ever experienced. Staff was friendly and service good. You'll want to clean up for dinner...not fancy clothes but you'll enjoy your dinner more with a clean shirt after a day of hiking. Many were dressed in their nicer traveling clothes.

Unique Quality: Watch out for the bison. They are anywhere and everywhere. We were surprised by one after supper on our way back to our room. It passed less than 20 feet away. These are dangerous animals...don't be fooled. We watched for a half hour as it lumbered through the parkiing lot. It was a Candid Camera re-run as we watched shocked tourist who were strolling between their cars suddenly encounter the huge animal-do a double take and then quickly move away. One idiot got too close in trying to take a picture. The bison charged him and he narrowly missed being gored. We learned they have poor eyesight until they are right on you and then they get angry. Stay away. (Same goes for the elk. People got too close. Our guide told us that it is difficult to get that picture when the elk raises up from the grass but be patient. The thing to watch for is if they raise their heads and then raise their noses further...that means they are preparing to charge!

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo

An Elegant, Grand Old Hotel

This beautiful hotel sits on the expansive Yellowstone Lake, with a grand view from the front sunroom windows that beckons you to walk down to the lake shore. The oldest hotel in the park, Lake Hotel was first begun in 1889. In 1885 the cost of a room, including meals was $4.00 a day. For many years it was small with only 80 guest rooms, but in 1903 additions were added, with the gables being extended and pillars added to the front to give it a southern colonial styling. From 1892 to 1907 visitors arrived by steamboat, which they boarded at West Thumb. They would stop at Dot Island for the guests to view the buffalo and elk which were kept in pens there. Since then other additions have been added, until you have the grand hotel that you see today. The rooms in the hotel have retained the ambiance of the 1920s, and each have a private bath.

If you prefer a cabin, inquire about the nearby Frontier Cabins. These were built in the 1920's but completely remodeled in 2003 and 2004. The cabins are simple, comfortable duplex units, which are clustered near the hotel.

Be sure to make your reservations as early as possible.

See my second photo for a view of the lounging area. Photo three shows a view from the hotel’s front porch.

Unique Quality: From Lake Hotel you have a grand view of Yellowstone Lake. Within the hotel you will find a lobby bar, gift shop, ATM, an information desk, dining room, and a hotel deli.

Directions: On the west side of the park, toward the northern side of Yellowstone Lake.

• annk's Profile Photo

Lake Yellowstone Hotel

This grand old hotel sits on the shore of Yellowstone Lake. It was built in 1891 and refurbished in 1990 to it's 1920's grandeur. It's listed on the Register of Historic Places.

Rooms are nice, furnishings fairly new, bathrooms and fixtures are pretty old.

One of the nicest features of the hotel is the large sunroom overlooking the lake. In the summer a string quartet performs frequently.

Dining is casual elegant and the menu is a little more upscale than the other restaurants in the park. Many of the parks restaurants have the same menu items. Although there are table linens and china, visitors are still welcome with jeans and casual attire.

Directions: Lake Yellowstone area

More about Lake Yellowstone Hotel

One of the Old 'Grand' Hotels

by DueSer about Lake Yellowstone Hotel

I tend to plan too much. I want to see and experience as much as I possibly can on every single day of every trip I take and as a result, sometimes I end up totally exhausted at the end of the day. That's what happened on the day I discovered the Lake Yellowstone Hotel. I began the day very early in Salt Lake City. I left there and drove north. I stopped in Jackson Hole briefly before going on and stopping for quite a while at Grand Tetons National Park. Then I headed on to Yellowstone. I drove to Old Faithful and got to see it erupt (right on schedule:-)) and then, as the sun was sinking in the west, I realized that not only was it rather late in the afternoon but that I was exhausted, really tired of driving, and not ready to leave Yellowstone because it was so much more beautiful than I had expected.

As I drove through the park trying to decide what to do, I passed this huge old yellow building. I turned around and went back to the Lake Yellowstone Hotel and checked in. I was very lucky. I got a room for much less than I had expected some place like this to be. It was originally built in the late 1800s and underwent a full renovation in the 1990s to restore it to its heyday of the 1920s. Just walking into the stylish lobby, I thought for sure I was out of my price range but, although I paid more for a room than I normally do, it wasn't so exorbitant that I had to leave. So I checked in. I got a room in a two-story building called the Annex on the grounds of the hotel. These are "high range" rooms, which sounds expensive but actually aren't too bad. I had a very comfortable room and full, private bath for just over $100 (US).

Other room options are in the main building of the hotel or in one of the cabins nearby if you'd like to really "rough it."

There are several dining options, including the main dining room just off the lobby or the deli, also inside the main hotel. I chose to go on a short walk over to the Lake Lodge Cafeteria where they serve a wide variety of food in an old cabin sitting amongst the trees near the lake. It's more casual than the dining room (and less expensive) but still offered something good to eat.

I had to go check out the lake while I was there (good thing the sun sets close to 9pm in the summer). On the lake side of the hotel is an old park tourbus, used in the 1920s to take guests around the park. Near the lake off to the side of the hotel is where I ran into the grazing buffalo. I was on my way back to the Annex Building from the lake. There are some trees there and the buffalo was just casually eating grass and, thankfully, not paying me much attention. They give you a lot of warnings in the park. Buffalo can run faster than people and you can't exactly reason with them, so I kept my distance but it was fun to get that close to a wild animal.

A couple of disclaimers about the hotel - it's in the middle of the woods, which are in the middle of a national park - there are no tvs, no internet connections, even in the regular rooms. There's also no air conditioning but this is Wyoming - it doesn't usually get too hot. Also, the hotel is only open from May-October. The views are amazing. Yellowstone Lake is huge and around the hotel area of the lake are wildflowers and buffalo munching on the grass. The buffalo actually come onto the grounds of the hotel to graze. You have to be careful but it's definitely a unique experience to run into a buffalo on your way to dinner.

Historic Lake Yellowstone HotelHistoric Lake Yellowstone Hotel

east yellowstone

by gatorgirl

we are heading to yellowstone on saturday and will be staying in a lodge in east yellowstone. any ideas on great places to eat---beer, burgers, steaks, etc. thanks, gatorgirl

RE: east yellowstone

by KimberlyAnn

Lake Hotel is on the east side of Yellowstone Park, and has an excellent restaurant where you can get a delicious meal while dining in their elegant dining room. This is the oldest hotel in the park, constructed in 1889 and it stands on the shore of the Yellowstone Lake and offers a grand view of the lake. The menu is varied, and the descriptions of the many dishes will make your choice a hard one. Dinner reservations are necessary as this is a popular restaurant, and therefore you try to make your reservations early, even a day or more before. This is a fine restaurant, with steaks, seafood, chicken dishes, etc. I do not think, however, that hamburgers is a choice, at least not in the evening. We live near Yellowstone, but haven't eaten here in a couple of years. If they still have it, I love the tiramisu for dessert.

Comments