Ayres de San Telmo Hostel

Av. San Juan 907, esquina Tacuarí, Buenos Aires, 1147, Argentina

More about Buenos Aires

JumpingLEICS, August birthday vacation in MaltaJumpingLEICS, August birthday vacation in Malta

Baked empanadasBaked empanadas

Soldier at the Malvinas MemorialSoldier at the Malvinas Memorial

Monument in the PlazaMonument in the Plaza

Buying cigarettes in Buenos Aires/ Argentina

by zondervan

As a smoker (yeah I know its unhealthy and antisocial but everyone should be allowed one vice) I object to the taxes we have to pay here in the UK so I was hoping to buy some cheap cigarettes while in Argentina. How much should I expect to pay for a packet of 20 marlboro lights? Where are the best places to buy the big cartons of 200 cigarettes?

Any suggestions appreciated ( Not including quitting smoking)

by virtual786

From what I understand it can be difficult to find a place that will sell you a carton of cigarettes. Also, very often (always?) you will pay the same per unit price of sometjing regardless if you buy 1 or 50.
The duty free shop at the airport in BA may be your best bet.

by alonso_mauro

Hi! My name is mauro!
I'm argentinian, and a smoker to.
Argentinian price of cigarretes is $4,40 (argentinian pesos) that'll be about 1,27 U$S. Is not dificut to buy a carton of 10 cigarrets pack, but you'll pay the same price as if you were buying only 1 pack.
Hope this will be help full.
Greetings
Mauro

by jimwebster

I haven't smoked in many years, but I noticed many smokers there purchased half-packs of cigarettes. This is a 10 cigarette pack versus a 20 cigarette pack. Argentina grows its own tobacco and I have no idea of cost.

by cgf

I used to smoke Marlboro (quitted five years ago, don't worry, you can go on), I noticed that in Argentina cigarettes are "stronger" then in Europe, sure at duty free you get cheaper price. You'll be able to buy dutyfree also when you'll arrive, before passport control.

by gfinesilver

i'm not convinced that duty free is actually cheaper than at a market in argentina.

go to any big supermarket in buenos aires (or wherever you are) and check the difference in prices between a pack and a carton. it may not be cheaper to buy in bulk but it'll still be way less expensive than in the UK.

Travel Tips for Buenos Aires

Metropolitan Cathedral

by pili

It is located across Plaza de Mayo. Its style is neo-classical with twelve columns representing the twelve apostles sustaining a facade depicting a biblical scene: Joseph meeting his father.
Other important characteristics are the Sacrarium Chapel, with delicate marbles and bronze details.
General San Mart?n Mausoleum, our main Independence hero, created by the French sculptor Albert Ernest Carrier Belleuse, is located inside the Cathedral.-

Está ubicada cruzando la Plaza de Mayo. Su estilo es neoclásico, con doce columnas que representan a los doce apóstoles. Las columnas sostienen una fachada que representa una escena bíblica, el reencuentro del patriarca Jacob, con su hijo Jose.
El Mausoleo del General José de San Martín (nuestro libertador), creado por el escultor francés Albert Ernest Carrier Belleuse, se encuentra también dentro de la iglesia

GREAT FRIENDS MEETING IN BUENOS AIRES

by RafaelTheSecond

Steve is my big big big big big american friend, he is from Lousiana. He decided to see the charming side of South America, then he came to Buenos Aires, and I came here specially to welcome him, and I am showing to him the best I know from this city I love...It is his second day in Argentina, and he is already a genuine PORTEÑO hahahaha :)

Of course I took him to La Boca where we can find the Caminito...this is the place where Tango is the huge influence since 1850...It is a harbour place full of colors.

And we stopped at Los Gitanos, and we found these incredible TANGO DANCERS...Javier and Graciela..Now my friends and one of my cool contacts in Buenos Aires!

Tango is part of the local life and meeting these wonderful couple you will know why!

Los Pumas vs All Blacks

by kiwigal_1

The reason I went to Buenos Aires the first time was because the All Blacks (from New Zealand - my country!) were playing the Pumas - the Argentina team.
The New Zealand Embassy helped a big group of us to book tickets to the game and off we went!

It was a great experience seeing an team like the All Blacks playing outside of NZ for me. Although it was raining most of the time which made it a little uncomfortable the atmosphere was great.

Safety at International sporting events can sometimes be an issue but I felt safe at all times in the stadium and there was no ill feeling from Argentinian fans either during or after the game.

One thing that I should note... the toilets inside the stadium are really not very nice. They are squat toilets which although I have seen in Asia I have never seen in Latin America before!

Food and drink is available inside the stadium by "vendedores" who come around the stands shouting their wares.

Museum ship Fragata Sarmiento

by wadekorzan

If you like old ships, this one is conveniently located in Puerto Madero, and can be visited every day from 9 AM - 8 PM. Entrance is very cheap (I won't give a price because prices in Argentina change too rapidly). This ship was an important Navy training vessel, and over 20,000 Argentine naval cadets and officers were trained aboard. The ship was built in England over 100 years ago and sailed around the world over 40 times, yet never fought in a single battle. Both Theodore Roosevelt and William Taft (former US presidents) were guests aboard the ship.

Just down the promenade there is another museum ship as well. It's called the Museo Corbeta Uruguay and is also open to the public. it used to be a coastal patrol vessel. You can easily visit both ships as they are within close walking distance of each other.

The large building one can see behind the ship Sarmiento is the Department of the Army Building.

Great nightclub!

by rodrigonp about Opera Bay - (Used to be El Divino)

Huge nighclub, a little bit expensive but one of the most famous in Buenos Aires! The design remembers the Opera from Sidney. The ticket is a little bit expensive, something like $30 pesos but it worths because the place is beautiful (it has a great view from Puerto Madero harbor) and the envinroment is amazing (like 5 or more dance floors)..

I've heard that one is the best nightclub in Buenos Aires, it's located on Puerto Madero close to the casinos.

Comments