Bait International Hostel

Back in BA
Hostelworld.com

More about Buenos Aires

Ritz Hotel, BsAsRitz Hotel, BsAs

Scuplture of one of the small fountainsScuplture of one of the small fountains

An interesting old building in San Telmo.An interesting old building in San Telmo.

Lezama parkLezama park

Reputable BUenos Aires based Travel Agencies For Argentine Holiday Packages

by conorworld

I was wondering if anyone had the names and websites of Buenos Aires based tour operators. I am in BA for a month in mid-June again and plan to take a trip somewhere in Argentina. I was wondering if there are any travel agencies making packages for 2-3 nights in various places in Argentina

by Porteno

There are many agencies but it is winter so what type of package were you looking for? Most of them would be via bus and during the winter that can be a bit risky is you head south into Patagonia. Otherwise you are about as well to decide where you want to go, book your flights on line and your hotel as well.

suerte
SAM

by TheWanderingCamel

On the recommendation of another VTer, we used Ripio Turismo for all our travel arrangements within Argentina and were extremely pleased with their service. They offer huge range of short packages.

www.ripioturismo.com.ar

by nomad7890

I just returned from Argentina (ohhh - it's been almost a month!). I am a woman traveling alone and did as the first poster mentioned, booked my own trips.

Once you arrive in most destinations the hotel can help you find tours, or you can e-mail the hotel ahead of time and inquire.

I had *picture perfect* weather the beginning of May - went to Iguazu, Ushuaia (plus Tierra del Fuego National Park), Mendoza, and BA. I was terrified of using Aerolineas Argentinas because I heard they were unreliable, but I am happy to say I pretty much depended on them and my holidays were without trouble.

Some people I met said they use LAN airlines.

As the first poster said, however, you're going into the cooler weather now - so perhaps if you post where you want to go you would get more specific feedback.

by puppis

This tour company has lots of 2-5 days trips to the most important places of argentina, the whole year round.
I have made about 9 tours with them by the time I and my kids need a good and reliable tour operator. Now, as nomad, organize my own tours, but you will find ATI a good company.

by conorworld

Well I had planned to go to Salta and Jujuy but dengue has ruined that. I was thinking Mendoza now instead. Patagonia and Perito Moreno I think would be intolerably cold in June/July.

by Porteno

Well the dengue will be over by then, it is a mosquitoe bourn infection so you should not be concerned.

suerte
SAM

by puppis

Conor, dengue problem will be out in 1 and half month in the North. It is based in mosquitoes which do not live under cold conditions, and june-july are cold months there. So go.

by conorworld

Perfect. That's what I was thinking. So I would love to know if there are any good travel companies that do 2-3 nights flights and accommodation packages in Salta?

by TheWanderingCamel

I'm sure any BA travel agent could offer you what you want. Here's one -

You could also take this as a guide and do all your own bookings. Your hotel in Salta would be able to book you on local tours once you arrived there.

by puppis

Many recommend ripio between VT travellers. You may also go to ativiajes page.
In any case, try to gather for more days, not just 2 or 3 nights. The place deserves it and besides, most tours take a whole day, so you will miss some excelent spots to see.

Travel Tips for Buenos Aires

A gift from Spain

by sof76

Su verdadero nombre es la Carta Magna y Las Cuatro Regiones Argentinas, pero es reconocida como El Monumento de los Espa?oles, ya que fue un regalo de Espa?a. Es de bronce y marmol, culmina en la figura de la Republica. Es obra del escultor Agustin Querol y Subirats.
Queda en Av. Sarmiento y Av. del Libertador.

It's real name is "Carta Magna y Las Cuatro Regiones Argentinas" but it is commonly named "monumento a los espa?oles" cause it was a gift from Spain.
It's located in Libertador avenue and Sarmiento avenue.

Mate anyone?

by Jasoninlondon

In many South American countries people enjoy a drink called Mate. This is a tea like drink made with herbs and hot water. The herbs almost completely fill the cup and the liquid is sucked through a metal straw.

The drink has been claimed to:
- Help Energize the body
- relieve stress
- calm allergies
- fortify immune system
- Increase longevity

In Argentina and Uruguay it is quite common to see friends walking down the street with their mate. One holding the cup while another carries the flask of hot water.

How could we visit without trying it out?

Fall in Buenos Aires

by Dabs

If you plan on doing some serious leather shopping, you might consider packing an extra collapsible bag. We always pack one for our dirty clothes and then we have room for souvenirs and gifts in our luggage. Buenos Aires is a terrific walking city, we rarely took any form of transportation when we could walk so bring along good walking shoes. In late March, I was able to still wear good walking sandals.

I didn't notice many people wearing shorts but the sun was very warm and I was glad to have light colored pants. In the evenings and early morning you might want a light sweater, I didn't need one but then again I had just come from freezing temperatures!

Portenos dress much more elegantly in the evening than we are accustomed to in Chicago, if you want to go see tango shows or a show at the Teatro Colon, you might want to pack a nice outfit or two. Even the top notch hotels don't provide much in the way of toiletries so you might pack your own. Our hotel only had soap, shampoo and body lotion Bring lots of film or memory, I took lots of photos of the architecture and street scenes I only used one ATM at the airport but I suspect they are common and credit cards seemed to be widely accepted (we use Visa).

Colonia - just an hour across...

by viajera67

Colonia - just an hour across the river on a high speed ferry. Colonia is a small town with a beautiful historic area. Moped rentals are cheap and fun. There are beaches on the river and arts and crafts for sale in the old section of town. I went during the off-season, so there wasn't a lot to do at night--El Asador is always open, and the food and wine are great and cheap.

A few leather bags for me :)

by Gypsystravels about Blaque

Blaque is a women's leather shop, they sell beautiful leather bags, jackets and shoes, but what caught my eye was this wonderful black bag in the window, so I had to check it out.

The salesgirl was so nice and asked us if we needed with anything, to just her. I wanted to see the bag in the window and she promptly brought it to me. The bag was a large travel size bag, big enough to hold my laptop and some other items, so I decided to buy it. After deciding on that bag, I spotted a beautiful aqua blue chain link purse that would go perfect with the aqua blue sandals that I had just bough, so I bought that bag too.

The store was quite crowded, which indicated to me that their goods and service are good. They carry a nice selection of bags, purses, shoes, boots, leather jackets and some jewelry. The two bags cost me $798 pesos, and the best part, I got $115 pesos back from VAT upon my departure from Buenos Aires!

Comments