Castelar Hotel And Spa

Avenida de Mayo 1152, Buenos Aires, Capital Federal District, 1085ABO, Argentina

Castelar Hotel & Spa

Castellar Hotel and Spa
    Av de Mayo 1152
    Tel 4383-5000/9
    www.castelarhotel.com.ar

I was moving from one hotel to another while in Buenos Aires and for two nights I stayed at this hotel because of its proximity to the historic Plaza de Mayo (got its name after independence from Spain on May 25, 1810). When entering, you get a nostalgic Hollywood feel with the grand lobby and high ceilings. Check-in was easy, and I was given a small standard room with 2 small beds and a bathroom which looked like it came from a 1950’s movie. But I heard the superior rooms are bigger and more luxurious.
    So, I go out to explore outside the hotel and was surprised when there was a civil demonstration outside. Curious, I stood outside the hotel and all of a sudden a masked man ran past me and threw a bottle right at the window of the bank beside the hotel. Hmmmmm…well, I went inside and the receptionist said not to worry since they really never throw stuff at the people themselves. So, I just waited for the picketers to totally pass before I went out again. Better be safe than sorry...It is very close to that tall obelisk in the middle of the big boulevard. Overall, a nice hotel from where you can walk around to see historic Argentina...

I made a video of my short trip to Buenos Aires on Youtube. Hope you like this:

JUMPING NORMAN IN BUENOS AIRES

Unique Quality: The hotel also has Spa and Turkish bath services (available at the basement) which are also also open to the public (entrance fee).

• ddbleu's Profile Photo

Treat Yourself - it's a bargain!

I stayed here 5 nights in Feb. 2005 and loved it. I booked my single room online through hotelscentral.com for $35/night U.S. My room didn't have a view but had all the amenities. It's also air conditioned and you really need it in the summer. I would definitely stay here again.

Unique Quality: The breakfast buffet is wonderful (included) with eggs, fruit, pastries etc. The staff is bilingual and very helpful in assisting with tours and transportation. The location is very central and you can walk all over from the hotel. The use of the spa is included, separate for men and women. Sauna, steam and turkish bath. They provide lockers, robes, towels. I got a 30 minute massage which wasn't the best I've ever had, but hey, for $33 pesos, who can complain?
    You even get cable TV with lots of channels, some in English with Spanish subtitles...a great way to practice your Spanish.

Directions: Downtown, within blocks of Florida St., Teatro Colon, etc.

More about Castelar Hotel And Spa

Hotel Castelar or Loi Suites

by Cansiani

My girlfriend and I are thinking of staying at the Hotel Castelar or Loi Suites. We have no preference on the location. The prices on the Castelar are not as expensive as the Loi. Does anybody have any recommendations on which one to stay at?

Thanks,
Chris

Re: Hotel Castelar or Loi Suites

by brd2005

I don't know much about Loi suites, but I would not stay at the Castelar hotel.

Re: Re: Hotel Castelar or Loi Suites

by VicTheTraveller

Hi,
Hotel Castelar is a very old, historic hotel on Avenida de Mayo. For example, the writer Federico Garcia Lorca stayed there while in BA. I don´t know which is the current state of the hotel.

Avenida de mayo has many old buildings but the area is a decadent, it depends on what you like.

As regards Loi Suites, i like very much Loi Suites Recoleta, on Vicente Lopez street. It´s very well located to go out at night for dinner, cinema, etc.

Have fun,

Vic

Re: Hotel Castelar or Loi Suites

by nefi

Hey Chris
Yes, is like Vic said the, Castelar Hotel is very old building . also the room has a very old style and are very small.
I really recommend the Loi Suites Hotels (depending how much money do you want to spend and the kind of hotel that you are looking for)
There are 3 Loi Suites Recoleta (recoleta Area - the best Loi Suites), Loi Suites Arenales (in Barrio Norte)
And Loi Suites Esmeralda (in downtown area)

Saludos from Buenos Aires