Eco Pampa Hostel

Guatemala 4778, Buenos Aires, 1425, Argentina

Eco Pampa Hostel
Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

• Muy Buen Lugar

Es un Hostel muy lindo, bien ubicado y limpio. El staff esta dispuesto a brindarte ayuda siempre!El barrio es muy lindo y seguro, uno puede andar sin problemas.
    Les aconsejaria que le den un poco mas de color a la habitaciones.

More about Buenos Aires

delicious dishesdelicious dishes

Exterior view at an eventExterior view at an event

Seen from a balconySeen from a balcony

Marcone, me and Juan Carlos at Café Tortoni!Marcone, me and Juan Carlos at CafĂ© Tortoni!

December travel

by pwlewis

Two questions. Where does the flight to Iguazu depart from (Aeroparque Newberry?), how often, and at what price one way?

My wife and I plan to be in Buenos Aires the last 10 days of December. How "shut down" does the city get due to vacations? Are live-show theaters open? All the good restaurants? All the excellent shopping? San Telmo? Calle Florida? Recoleta?

Thank you very much.

by vtveen

Flights to Iguazu indeed depart from Aeroparque.
There are two companies flying that destination. You better check the sites of Aerolineas Argentinas (www.aerolineas.com.ar) and LAN (www.lan.com).
I recommend flying with LAN, because Aerolineas often has 'labour problems'.

happy travels
Jaap

by pwlewis

Thank you very much! I appreciate your help.

by Porteno

Indeed, Buenos Aires is fairly quiet during Christmas and New Years. However, most stores, restaurants and bars will be open. Not certain of theater schedules but you can check here for performances and ticket availability. http://www.ticketek.com.ar/

For listings of other events the city web site is very good www.bue.gov.ar

Actually from what I am hearing dependability of Aerolineas has improved since the government has stepped in and paid the back wages and is in process of resuming state control from the current owner, Marsans. Not that the current labour peace will endure but at this writing all quiet on the Aerolineas front :)

Hope you have a grand visit
Suerte
SAM

by pwlewis

Thank you very much for your help which is greatly appreciated.

Gracias!

Travel Tips for Buenos Aires

Locutorio - Phoning home and Internet Access

by Gypsystravels

I always carry my cell phone with me in case someone back home has to contact me in an emergency (like the instance when mom passed away and I was in Budapest), but I will not use it to make any calls while I travel because of the high costs.

During my first visit to Buenos Aires I found that calling either someone back home or an individual in town was easy using the Locutorio.

The Locutorios are located all over Buenos Aires and are companies that provide calling booths where you make your call and pay per minute a set amount. They also sell lottery tickets and some even have internet service as well.

The fees are quite reasonble and well worth the little effort to find one if you need to contact those back home or if you are meeting any locals and don't have a phone.

I have to check my notes, but the call to Kristara which lasted at least 10 minutes was very, very cheap.

Argentinean Wine - Malbec

by mircaskirca

Mendoza is one of the eight great wine capitals of the world. It's the most important wine-producing province in Argentina, the heart and soul of Argentina's wine country where European settlers introduced the ancient craft of winemaking in the 19th century. Mendoza is home to more than a thousand wineries and produces more than 80% of all Argentina's wine.

Talking about the red wines, Malbec turned into the most popular and recognized varieties not only for domestic market, but also for international markets. Malbec, imported from France a century ago developed its best characteristics in Mendoza, turn into Argentinean Malbec wine, the best Malbec in the world. With typical black cherry, blackberry and spice aromas, this dark red wine is usually produced in a Bordeaux style, often aged in oak, for a result that is soft, deep and velvety.

Other Argentina's fine reds wines that share same full fruit aroma are Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Syrah. Best Syrah can be found in Salta and San Juan region.

Though wine tasting is not the pastime that Buenos Aires is best known for (for this experience you better visit Mendoza or one of many Argentina's other wine regions), there are some places that offer the most unique wine tasting experience:

Casa Coupage

Gran Bar Danzon
www.granbardanzon.com.ar/danzon

Terroir
www.terroir.com.ar

One thing is certain: if you like wine as much as I do, in Buenos Aires you'll be in heaven :) Cheers!!

Bike, Train and Boat to Tigre

by taxing

Tigre is in the delta within commuting distance of Buenos Aires. We hired a great tour guide for a fraction of the cost of hiring onto a boat tour. 2Portenios.com is how you contact him. We met Gustavo, who is different because he takes you on a tour as if he were your friend showing his town to you. Proud of his city he shows you what he thinks you will like. Instead of taking an expensive boat tour (there are many), he takes you by train to the commuter ferry and you go all the same places for a fraction of the cost. Plus you have your friend showing you around. No prepackaged tour bus--we took the local train and took bikes on the train to see the sights up close.

Plentiful & Cheap Internet Cafes

by Bwana_Brown about Too Many to Name!

There certainly was no trouble in finding internet cafes in Buenos Aires to check up on emails from home or to see what was happening on VT or the world news! It seems that every block in the city has one tucked away off the street, and the area near our hotel was no exception.

On our first attempt, we had a problem getting the computer to bring up the programs in English but we soon found another cafe only two blocks from our hotel that worked fine. We ended up using this one daily for our brief updates because we got to know the operators and they got to know us. There was never any waiting for available computers for the two of us, as we would be pointed toward computers # so and so.

The cost was unbelievably low - for about 45 minutes each we had a total cost of US$0.70 on their high-speed machines! Many of these internet cafes are also 'locutorios', containing enclosed booths where you can make telephone calls while a meter totals your running tab. I did not try that in Buenos Aires, but I did use one later in Mendoza and it worked great. Also very cheap to use.

The photo shows the main internet cafe we used, located on Av. Rodrigues Pena near the corner with Gral. J.D. Peron.

This Place Has a History!

by Bwana_Brown about Cafe Tortoni

It was a Friday in the big city, so we figured that we had better get ready to Tango! During the afternoon, we had made a stop at an internet cafe to catch up on emails from home. While Sue was doing that, I checked out possible Tango sites on VT !! Arriving back at our hotel in early evening, the desk manager confirmed my VT hit on Cafe Tortoni as the spot to check out.

It was about 9 PM by the time we had eaten and got ourselves dolled up for an evening out. A quick taxi ride along the 10 city blocks to the Tortoni and we were in an obvious 'hot-spot' of Argentinian night-life. However, when I checked with one of their waiters about their Tango shows, held in a separate back room, he said that the 8:30 PM performance had just ended and the 11:30 PM one was booked up. We were able to make arrangements for the 8:30 PM performance on Saturday night, so we were happy with that!

The Cafe Tortoni is a really classic spot, with it's walls covered with old photos of celebrities. The tables were full and a constant stream of people were coming and going off one of Buenos Aires' main streets - Av. de Mayo. I ordered a large Heineken beer (US$3) while Sue sipped on an Argentinian white wine (US$1.30) to go with our table snack of nuts. It was good fun to simply sit there and watch the early night activity in Buenos Aires! By about 11 PM, we decided it was time to head back to the hotel. This time, we walked down Av. de Mayo and across the world's widest street - Av 9 de Julio. It was amazing to see the streets crowded with people at that time of night, early in the evening for Buenos Aires!

Cafe Tortoni is at Av de Mayo 825/9, Telephone 4342 and web-site 'www.cafetortoni.com.ar'.

In the end, we did not get to see our show (next Tip) even though we tried one more time on our final night in Argentina - after we had been to Iguazu Falls and the Andes Mountains.

Comments