El Aleph de San Telmo Hostel

More about Buenos Aires

Plaza de MayoPlaza de Mayo

Missing tilesMissing tiles

inside the Cockerinside the Cocker

Basilica Nuestra Senora del Pilar at RecoletaBasilica Nuestra Senora del Pilar at Recoleta

Arriving at Buenos Aires EZE Airport

by mirene

A friend and I will arrive from the U.S. to EZE Airport on a Thursday in June at 8:00 a.m. We are renting an apartment in Palermo for a week. The rental company assumes we will arrive at the apartment at 9:30 a.m. but I don't think we'll get through Customs, get money at an ATM in the airport, get a taxi to Palermo all in one and a half hours. Can anyone suggest how much time we should allow from airport arrival to arrival in Palermo?

by Porteno

If you plan on meeting the plane why not hire a remis? It is the same one way price and they will wait for your friend to arrive. I don't think it has ever taken me more than an hour to get through and out the door, and then a half hour into the city. But if the plane is delayed, if there is an accident etc then who knows how long.

Does the rental company insist on a 9:30 am arrival time or will they be flexible and let you call them when you are leaving EZE?

suerte
SAM

by onebadcat

Don't worry the rental agency folks probably won't be on time anyway. It is standard practice to be 'fashionably late' (read super late) for most appointments in Arg. No sarcasm – just reality.

Scott

by kittykat23

We just landed in EZE 2 days ago. You might make it through customs in 1/2 hour if your bags are first, you don't stop to use the bathroom and you are seated at the front of the plane. We did it in a slower non rushed fashion. Because of the Swine Flu it took a little longer but not much. We had to fill out an extra form, stand in line, collect our bags, take them through customs (we were not searched) and then stopped at the info booth (still inside the secured area). After leaving info booth with 2 dozen maps/booklets/flyers we found the taxi stand and ATM. The whole process took 2 hours and we were leisurely about it. Also: The taxi is less than the Remis - taxi was $98 pesos to city center. There is a cafeteria, Mcdonalds and a couple of stores if you need to waste some time waiting - airport prices. Check your contract to see how much they charge if they have to wait to pick you up. If you are paying a wait fee, they will be on time.

Travel Tips for Buenos Aires

Dance Steps

by leok

There are loads of tango shows all over the city - some include dinner and are huge whilst others offer a more intimate experience. They are too numerous to list here (and half the fun is discovering one for yourself) but any guide book will list hours and prices of the more popular places.

If you're feeling confident you can take a class at one of the dance halls (milongas) - details of which can be found in one of the specialist magazines on sale at kiosks or click on

Which has pretty comprehensive listings

If you want to see the direction tango is progressing I'd recommend buying the 'Bajofondo Tango Club' CD on sale at all music shops. It's a bit like the Gotan Project, but better. A mix of beats, electronica, passionate voices and old style instruments.

No shaking hands here: kissing!

by sabrina_florida

So, you come here and you meet a local. "Hi, how are you, nice to meet you", and you give each other a KISS. Even if you are a guy, you will (most of the times) kiss the other guy. And one more thing I have noticed tourists sometimes do: it's rather rude here not to kiss a person when you meet them or even if you have already met them before.
And say you arrive to a place, and unless there are more than 8 people (in which case it's so tiring to kiss so many) then you have to greet everyone with a kiss. It happened to me a few times that I met up with tourists I already knew that they said HI! but did not give me a kiss. I understand this is not YOUR costum, but when in Rome... So, when in Buenos Aires, do as the porteños! :)
The only ocassions when we shake hands is in business meetings, job interviews (I've been kissed many times also) or sometimes when you go to the doctor.

Dayquil

by cjg1

I always forget to bring meds with me. I have been very very sick the first two times down here and have had trouble finding the meds I want, even with a local who is fluent in both Spanish and English to help me.

Take a trip down to Costa del...

by cvsolfari

Take a trip down to Costa del este. It's about 3 hours south, but my hombres and I had a great time riding horses, playing on the beaches and clubbing 'til sunrise. Excellent area where there are NO North American tourists....

Sunday afternoon

by andal13 about La feria de La Recoleta

On Sunday afternoon, at Recoleta district, there is a bustling, colourful, vibrant open market.

Los domingos pr la tarde, en el barrio de Recoleta, hay un mercado abierto bullicioso, colorido, vibrante. All kind of handicrafts: wood, wool, leather, stones, paper, cardboard, cane... everything is useful for a creative artisan.

Todo tipo de artesanías: madera, lana, cuero, piedras, papel, cartón, caña... todo es útil para un artesano creativo.

Comments