Carlos Pellegrini, 37, Buenos Aires, Capital Federal District, 2004, Argentina

Satisfaction Average

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 53% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• best for young people

pleasure stay in center , staff friendly hotel is in strictly center, rooms good , location is perfect, best value for money you give, old fashioned but clean hotel with safety boxes in rooms, but ask before some rooms dont have saftybox, only suites i think, however all is o.k.
    you are in center and that is it

Unique Quality: ............................

• flaco_ingles's Profile Photo

Gran Hotel Argentino (Carlos Pellegrini 37 Buenos

I arrived there on the 4th of Jan 2006 and it was awful. They are currently doing a make over and they start banging away with hammers and chisels at 9am.

After one night I checked out and moved to the Nuevo Hotel Callao, Callao 292. Same price, nicer staff.

• vinchile's Profile Photo

Decent priced hotel on 9 de Julio

I stayed here for three nights in Buenos Aires and loved it...very comfortable and huge, spacious rooms. I paid 35USD each night for a single room, and the location is unforgettable on 9 de Julio, and very close to Cafe Tortoni, and the Avenida de Mayo subway station. The price included breakfast, which was pretty good, buffet style. The staff was excellent and had excursions available although the excursions were probably more on the pricey side.

• Canguy's Profile Photo

A 3-Stars Snob

I booked a 7 night stay at the hotel simply because it was the cheapest hotel located near the Obelisk, which is helpful for finding your bearing when you are in the city for the first time. The first day after I checked in, I wanted to check out. Unfortunately, I have prepaid everything in advance.

Unique Quality: The room was dark and dingy. The wall was dirty, and the carpet... well, it was too dark to see.
    I had specifically requested at least a double bed (I was travelling alone, but am used to a bigger bed), but was given a room with 2 single beds. The window opened into a kind of "shaft" coyrtyard with a discarded bath-tub collecting rainwater, and with all kinds of garbage, eg. cigarette butts, used condoms, banana peels, all over.
    All these wouldn'y have mattered much if the staff were a little more pleasant. Considering that this is a 3-stars (although I did learn that the star system really doesn't mean much), the front desk staff was really quite surly and unpleasant, and the room-service waiter. who spoke flawless English, was sarcastic.
    Not at all like what they advertised.

Directions: On the south side of what the Argentinians consider as the widest street in the world

• Gucho's Profile Photo

Gran hotel Argentino

Mín. u$s 42.-
    Máx. u$s 66.-These rates are per night, per room and do not include VAT.
    The rates are subject to change without previous notice.

Unique Quality: The pleasure of staying at the hotel,
    located on Avenida 9 de julio (the widest of the world),
    will make your visit to Buenos Aires an unforgettable experience.

• Cabernetman's Profile Photo

I stayed in Hotel Gran...

I stayed in Hotel Gran Argentino. This picture was taken while I was crossing the wide Av 9 De Julio (on the foreground). From the street you can see the Obelisk. Next door you will see Norte also in the picture. The only supermarket I saw when I was there. It was convenient to get supplies here conpared with the smaller shops which tend to cost more and you also run the risk of not getting back the correct change.
    When I was there there was an internet special where a superior double would only cost 50 pesos per night including tax and breakfast. A bargain. Its now starts about US$20 per night for a standard which is still reasonable.

Unique Quality: My room had a bidet but from the bathroom fixtures I could tell the hotel was ageing. The aircondtioning was ricketey but it worked. Buenos Aires isn't too hot and I could do without it. The staff were friendly, some sopek english and had guest safety in mind. They had 2 drivers in-house drivers to take guest anywhere in the city for about the same price as taxis (taxis are not considered safe for tourist)

Directions: It is situatued at the corner of Carlos Pellegrini & Rivadavia. Walking east 4 blocks you will see a Burger King. This is where Ave Florida begins, the pedestrian only shopping street.

• I wouldn't realy recommend the...

I wouldn't realy recommend the Gran Hotel Argentino. The staff were very pushy - trying to sell us tours etc so the could get there comission! They even phoned us 3 times in one day in our room to try and get us to buy a tour. However the price was reasonable (for Buenos Aires) at $50 per night. The rooms were average, and the breakfast was actually pretty good.
    $50

More about Gran Hotel Argentino

Good prices, good location and clean

by claucarrera about Gran Hotel Argentino

My husband and I stayed there for 4 nights in april 2006, the hotel is well located, just a few blocks from Obelisco and a few steps from the subway. The hotel bkfast was ok, but the service was good, the room was clean and the bathroom too.

I have always stayed in Gran...

by hsm

I have always stayed in Gran Hotel Argentino which is located on Avenida 9 Julio. Very central location and
very reasonably priced at $ 50.00 per day

by Marina786

Hello. We are planning a visit to Buenos Aires in early June. The travel agency tells us the hotel that they use in BA is "Gran Hotel Argentino". Does anyone know if this is a nice hotel, and if it is in a safe/nice area?
Thanks for your help in advance. If anyone needs information about Toronto, please ask!!
Marina

by pedrocarlos

For canadians all places are dangerous...

by HenryG

I haven't heard about it, but the location seems fine : http://www.hotel-argentino.com.ar/
It's very centric.
How many days do you plan to stay and what do you plan to see ?

by Marina786

WHAT? What do you mean that all places are dangerous for Canadians?
-Marina

by Marina786

We're hoping to stay 5 nights - and as for what we plan to see - I'm open to suggestions!
Thanks.
-Marina

by Charlin_Baby

Hei Pedrocarlos.....What did you mean with "all pleaces are dengerous"?....are you ok???
Do you know my Country, is danger like any country...
If you want to know more...just ask me.

Charlin

by nuevasmovidas

Well it´s safe but it´s to centrical, i suggest to look for another if you can, anyway it´s ***
my recomendation is Dazzer hotel, it´s ****
check it at http://www.buenosaires.com/hoteles/estrellas4/DazzlerHotel/index.htm
or send me a mail to info@nuevasmovidas.com.ar
regards
Carlos

Re: Gran Hotel Argentino - Don't

by Frisbeeace

Wrong location. Avoid the financial district which is ugly and look for a hotel in the Recoleta area. It makes a whole of a difference. Try the Plaza Francia (3*), the Alvear Palace (5*)or the Four Seasons (5*). After devaluation prices are very affordable. BA is pretty safe is you stay in the right areas. Let me know if you need more tips or check my BA page.

Re: Re: Gran Hotel Argentino - Don't

by nuevasmovidas

Paraguay y Libertad it´s not a financial district... Besides it´s a nice place and a good hotel, anyway the Recoleta hotels could be another good option...
it´s a matter of likes

Re: Re: Gran Hotel Argentino - Don't

by Frisbeeace

Gran Hotel Argentino is at Carlos Pellegrini 37 and Rivadavia St. not Paraguay and Libertad as you say. I insist that this location is terrible for a tourist. Saludos.

by HenryG

I said it was very centric, not that it was the best neighbourhood to stay.
It is centric, near the Obelisk, 9 de Julio, Corrientes, Lavalle.
I wouldn't mind staying there. Nevertheless, I'd prefer to stay near Recoleta.
There are lots of hotels to choose depending on your budget and preferences.

by Marina786

Well, I looked up some hotels that were mentioned - It looks like The Four Seasons is about $300 a night. A *little* out of my price range. The only hotel I could not find online was the Plaza Francia.....any information on that hotel?
Thanks,