Paraguay 474, Buenos Aires, Capital Federal District, 1057AAD, Argentina

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 56% less but rated 62% lower than other 3 star hotels

More about Gran Hotel Orly

Interior of la CabreraInterior of la Cabrera

Liz and her friend "Bessie".Liz and her friend "Bessie".

The "lighthouse"The "lighthouse"

Kitty Asleep in Fancy Home Design StoreKitty Asleep in Fancy Home Design Store

by cool-ike

I have narrowd my choice to Gran Hotel Orly for my 2 week stay in BA. Does anyone have any info on the quality of service, location, and the night life around the hotel?
thanks
Ike

RE: Gran Hotel Orly

by puppis

I have no info on the Hotel, but it is very well located, near the pubs street, Florida Street and the beggining of Santa Fe. The San Martin Square is very near, green and well mantained to lay under the Sun on the grass. You have Retiro Train Station a few blocks away and also the Bus Terminal.
Many restaurants but maybe a meal will cost you there a little more than in the core of downtow. But with dollars can be cheap to you.

Gran hotel Orly ?

by cool-ike

Does anyone know if Gran hotel Orly is a real "3 star?" How is the condition and services? I am planning to stay there for about 2 weeks.
thanks
ike

RE: Gran hotel Orly ?

by oslocairo

On Hotelguide.network there are two photos of the Gran Hotel. Voyagenow.com has about 6 photos. It looks pretty nice. Voyagenow gives it a three-star class rating. Hotelpath.com and a1tourism.com also give it three stars.

Strangely though, I couldn't find any reviews. Maybe it's one of those places where people check in , but they don't check out!

I've not been to Buenos Aires yet (I'm going in June). But my hotel is also on Paraguay in el Centro. From what I've been told, at least it's a good location near lots of places of interest, cafes, and restaurants.

Have a good time!

RE: Gran hotel Orly ?

by Fredbdc

The star system here in Argentina means nothing. In the 70's the system was developed according to the ammenties that they offer. So if you have a casino, + 1 star, pool + 1 star etc. It seems like the stars are awarded when they open and that is where they stay. So depending on when your hotel was built that is what you get, it doesn't mean it has ever been updated. I don't know that Hotel but you will be on a very busy street. Good Luck!

Travel Tips for Buenos Aires

My Guidebook of choice

by Gypsystravels

I am a very visual person and I love guidebooks that not only provide good information but also have some wonderful pictures to excite me on wherever it is that I am going.

The DK guidebooks are the ones that I will usually try to purchase. They provide a wealth of information regarding the destination you are traveling to with the must sees, places to eat, hotels, and general information including forms of trasportation, banks and all the information you need for a well planned and fun time. The DK guidbooks also have wonderful pictures and breakdown in elaborate detail many of the more important things to see. This particular guide also lists some great walking trips, as well as "further afield" places to see and has some really wonderful maps of each region.

I purchsed the DK Argentina guide that made planning the places I wanted to see and do so much easier.

The guidbooks range in prices from $20-35 dollars.

Dogs, dogs and more dogs

by andal13

I was walking around Plaza San Martín when I heard a lot of barks... then I found a square sourrounded by iron bars with dozens of dogs inside, and their "personal trainers"!

Me encontraba paseando por Plaza San Martín cuando escuché un montón de ladridos... fue así que encontré un cuadrado rodeado por rejas de hierro con docenas de perros dentro, y sus "entrenadores personales"!

Iguazu Falls the Natural Wonder

by fachd

Iguazu Falls is a must visit if you happen to be in Argentina (believe me you won’t regret it). We took a flight to Iguazu from Buenos Aires. The flight was less than two hours. We stayed at five star hotel Cataratas which was closed to down town Iguazu.

I won’t break our Iguazu Falls experience into different chapters or segment. It will take too long. I'll quickly describe Iguazu Falls as a big picture.

From the starting point we walk to estacion Cataratas and caught a train to the other side. We walk towards garganta del Diablo. The adventure has begun.

Iguazu Falls or Big Water was a WOW factor. The area has natural wonder with spectacular view. As you are approaching to the water fall, the deafening sound of water cascading down from Iguazu largest waterfalls Del Diablo (Devils Throat).
You will see the Iguazu icon (Vencejos de Cascada or Waterfall Swifts, darting in and out of the Del Diablo. We were drench from the spray. Coming from Australia I have never seen so much water, imagine the energy coming out from it.

You will do a lot of walking, with lot of steps to see other water falls. San Martin, Boseeti, Adan and Eva are the other water falls.

Iguazu Falls are surrounded by subtropical forest and inhabit many species of animals, butterflies, birds and insects. I saw an alligator sunbaking on top of a rock, a Coati Mundi chasing one another, flock of vultures perching, butterflies smelling the flowers, water rats swim about like nobody business.

Oh yeah while you are there take a boat ride. The boat will take you close to the falls and off course you will get wet. The venture was ace, I recommend it.

Pedestrian mall

by hekate about Calle Florida (Florida street)

The street is located in the city's center. I was told that the Galerias Pacifico mall is the most famous mall on the street.

It a typical commercial area for local people, not for tourists :). You can find pretty much every type of store you want. Leather, sporting goods, cloths, etc.

Besides, it is a good walk.

Ah, and when you see the sign $, it could mean Argentinian peso not an American dollar. Which could be a nice surprise in terms of price since 1 dollar equals around 3 pesos. leather, silver, a typical semi precious rose stone (can't remember the name right now) well, depends on your shopping habits :)

The best tango show in town!

by ets about Senor Tango

The show wasn't just about Tango; it was also a story about the birth of a nation, the first encounter between the local Indians and the Spaniards. There were live horses were on stage, in additon to dancers in colorful costumes. The dinner was quite good too.

Comments