Hotel Residencial El Castillo

Hotel Residencial El Castillo
Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Buenos Aires

Avenida de JulioAvenida de Julio

The inticing windowThe inticing window

Local newstandLocal newstand

ticketek for concert ticketsticketek for concert tickets

Anybody knows how to get american dollars by using a canadian bank card?

by panchopancho

Hi. I am staying in Buenos Aires, studying Spanish for one month. After staying with an Argentinian family for a month, now I must to move out the house. I need American dollars to rent an apartment.. Do you know where I can get american dollars? I only have a Canadian bank card (Bank of Montreal). ATM machines don`t accept my request. I can withdraw money only in pesos. I would appreciate your help, if you can provide me with the information!!!!

by yvr

Withdraw your money in pesos and then have them exchanged at a bank or currency exchange for US dollars.

by axwell

I would not suggest changing money into Pesos then into US dollars at a currency exchange, as you will be charged for both transactions, I would suggest going either to a bank or currency exchange with your ATM card and requesting the US Dollars there.......Good Luck

by cgf

Try at Banco Piano in SanMartin 345 , you can do everything in only one step.

by panchopancho

Thank you for your advice, Axwell. I wasn`t sure if the banks here would accept my bank card to buy dollars..I will go to a bank near my place tomorrow morning, and get dollars as you have suggested.. I am having a difficult time here in Buenos Aires in many ways. Receiving this kind of help means a lot to me.. Are you in BsAs?

by panchopancho

Thank you sooo much!!! I will go to the bank tomorrow and get the money out quick.. I appreciate your help!!!!!

by axwell

No sorry I am currently in Lanzarote but i quess if you take away the Atlantic Ocean we are almost neighbours.........sorry to hear your are having a hard time in BA......If you go to travel guides on VT then BA it will display a list of members in BA maybe they can help or advise........Let me know if you have any luck.

by burmgatto

Excuse me for asking, but are you certain they will not let you pay in the local currency? That sounds like a rip off.

While still in Canada I was quoted a price in US$ but when I arrived in Buenos Aires they said they only wanted AR $ and I had to pay to convert a second time.

If I were you I would check out accomodation elsewhere. If they insist on US $ they are no doubt asking for too much money. It is too common in Argentina for them to expect tourists to pay in $ what they pay in pesos. It is the one thing I did not like about Argentina.

by jimwebster

I agree with burmgado. There is no reason the renters should be demanding to receive money in anything other than Argentine pesos.

Travel Tips for Buenos Aires

Bread, Cheese and Deli

by jakelorenzo

One of the great surprises of Buenos Aires is the quality of the bread, especially in the restaurants. It seems as if every place bakes their own bread and they like to offer more than one type. The trick is to figure a way to sample the breads and still save room for the large portion meals that accompany them.
Neighborhoods also have delicatessens that serve a wide variety of Argentinian cold cuts and cheeses, most of which are uniformly delicious. Stop by and purchase an assortment, pick up some wine and have an inexpensive picnic or some snacks before you go to dinner.

Listen to some Argentinan...

by katlau

Listen to some Argentinan music! There's a lot more than just tango! Try: Sui Generis, Charly Garcia, NitoMestre, Mercedes Sosa, Leon Gieco, Theresa Parodi... There's so many good musicians in this country. In the pic: Me with Nito:)

Packing List

by wadekorzan

Your money would be best in US Dollars. Be sure that your US Dollars are all NEW bills, not the old version, that they are torn, ripped, or too bent out of shape, and there are is no handwriting on your bills. Otherwise, it will be difficult to exchange. Though many places accept dollars, MANY do not and you should have some local currency. It really is imperative to have lots of small bills in local currency--many places can not change more than 10 or 20 ( like taxis, kiosks, etc)

JOCKEY CLUB

by mtncorg

The Jockey Club – dating to 1882 – is located in a residence that belonged Concepcion Unhue de Casares. The Jockey Club was located for a long time on Avenida Florida – 1897 to 1953 – just a little south of the huge shopping center of Galerias Pacifico. Peronistas, not sharing in the benefits of membership, burnt that building in 1953. The new clubhouse is appropriately sited across from the monument dedicated to club founder, Argentine Preseident Carlos Pellegrini.

Lowdown on Crobar (04/13/08)

by Kate.iverson about Buenos Aires News (Now it's Crobar)

Hey Mates,

I have read several "hate it" "Love it" reviews regarding Crobar, so I wanted to through some hopefully useful facts based on my last visit on 04/13/18. First of all, I want to be adamant about the nonexistent dress code; I traded my sweatshirt and Converses for a shirt and shoes…Big Error. I must have been one of the few ones wearing shoes. So, to all you gringos, don’t worry about going with your loser white Asics or Reeboks, plus any t-shirt you may be wearing. Now, let us get to the details:

Average Age: 21 tops
Cover charge: 35 pesos, includes a drink
Credit Card?: Yes, with a minimum of $100 pesos, so bring some cash
Opens around 12. Really starts getting warm around 2:45-3:00am.

Myth # 1: All Argentinean women are hot. Not true. 80% are hot. The remaining are above average.

Finally, JonnyVT’s description is very accurate. Cheers.
Kate No Dress Code, i.e. I've never seen so many sneakers.

Comments