Kempinski Chateau Park Plaza Hotel

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 22% less but rated 24% lower than other 3 star hotels

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Boutique Hotel In Recoleta

We were supposed to stay at the Kempinski Park Central near the Obelisk and several subte lines but when we arrived they were either overbooked or were having maintenance problems and they sent us over to the Kempinski Park Chateau in the posh Recoleta neighborhood. We should have asked to switch back to the original hotel, although this hotel was convenient to Recoleta Cemetery, it was located in a quiet residential area and wasn't convenient to much else (including the subte), we spent an extra 15 minutes walking each direction every time we left our hotel, most people will find that they need to use taxis. The reception desk at the Park Central said this was a nicer hotel but as they were evenly priced, I suspect that they were of similar quality.

Even though we were on a quiet side street, we never felt unsafe returning to our hotel late at night.

Unique Quality: I'd give this hotel an A for it's rooms, our room was nicely decorated with warm colors, a comfortable bed, cable TV, minibar, air conditioning. Our room was not on the street side so it was very quiet at night, another couple we met said the street side rooms could be a little noisy. Electrical outlets had slanted slots like the ones on my Australian adapter, fortunately the TV was plugged into an adapter so I could charge my camera battery.

The bathroom was also nicely decorated, there was a hair dryer, soft towels, toiletries were just soap, shampoo and lotion. Plenty of hot water for showers.

Breakfast is included in the rate, included eggs, sausage, pastries, cereal, fruit, meat, bread, juice and the breakfast room is right past the lobby of the hotel. It wasn't as good as the other two hotels we stayed at on this trip but it was adequate.

Negatives-the small 2 person elevator was rarely available so we ended up walking up 2 flights to our room every time. Not a big deal but they also used the stairs for laundry and room service so you were walking by this stuff every day.

The front desk made us a reservation for a tango show but they mixed us up with another couple. They got us a taxi but we ended up with the worst seats in the house. And the show, which they recommended, wasn't very good. All in all, the hotel staff did not impress me.

Directions: Recoleta, Talcahuano between Arenales and Juncal

• xantylaol's Profile Photo

Don't wanna go here again...

I stayed a total of four nights at this hotel. It is centrally located in the city and has a quite good standard and there's little traffic noise to be bothered with. I found the croissants they serve for breakfast to be surprisingly good - many bakers don't get them right - but these ones are absolutely great! The staff was friendly and forthcoming.
    However, I stayed there for two nights - travelled somewhere else - and returned for another two nights. When I left the first time, they charged me for a beer from the minibar I hadn't been drinking. I said, whatever, I don't feel like arguing about one beer so I'll pay for it - but I didn't have this beer. When I returned for the second part of my stay at the hotel, the hotel manager met me and told me that they had made a mistake and that she apologized for the error of charging me for the beer incorrectly. I said okay, fine, it happens.
    But they had closed the minibar in my new room prohibiting me from using it, and I asked them to please unlock it so I could use it. They doubtfully agreed to that. The last night I stayed there, they had entered the room for the sole purpose of closing the minibar again and slipped a note under the door to explain that this was done on a routine basis or something like that. This made me feel like they treated my like a thief. I payed for the beer I hadn't been drinking, the hotel manager apologizes this but does not pay the money back, and then they shut the minibar. Freaking idiotic customer management by the hotel manager!

If you want a good hotel in Buenos Aires where they make their customers feel like their welcome - try the Four Seasons, the Alvear Palace, the Marriott Plaza or maybe the Hilton. The Kempinski Park Chateau makes you feel like you pay for a five star hotel (it's 144 US$ a day minimum) only you are there to please the manager - they are not there to please you. That's not what I'm paying for.
    I would like to repeat though that I found the rest of the staff to be friendly.

Unique Quality: A hotel manager that pisses you off!

Directions: Centrally located in Recoletta

More about Kempinski Chateau Park Plaza Hotel

European style, Argentinean service

by ibawaya about Kempinski Park Chateau

First, read my lips: www.terramagicacom. I booked hotel through them from the US, and got the best rates, and was able to also get those rates in Buenos Aires, as long as I was able to pay in dollars. A great find!

The Park Chateau is a small hotel in the European style. The rooms are not large, but are charmingly decorated and very clean. Best of all--the beds are very comfortable. The airport bus driver had no idea where the hotel was, and it's a good thing I speak Spanish and remembered the address, or we might still be driving around Buenos Aires.

We arrived late at night after 20 hours of flying. The staff were welcoming and hospitable, and offered a glass of champagne and thoughtful conversation (not that I had any active brain cells after flying all those hours in a non-jumbo jet!) The room felt immediately comfortable, which is no mean feat for a hotel in my book. I am squeamish about hotels and don't sleep well in ones in which I am not comfortable.

A nice breakfast comes with the room rate, though someone needs to tell the breakfast hostess about anti-depressants. Location, location, location! This and the service were the best things about this hotel. The Park Chateau is 5 blocks from all the fun in Recoleta, and it feels very safe to walk there at night. It is about 9-10 blocks to Plaza San Martin and the beginning of the best end of Florida Street. Santa Fe Avenue is 2 blocks away.

Hotel for woman travelling alone

by wpenash

Need recommendations for a nice safe hotel in the Ricoleta area of Buenos Aires for a woman traveling alone in late July. Trying to keep the cost below $100 per night.

RE: Hotel for woman travelling alone

by Porteno

Most of the Recoleta is quite safe. Just use the same judgement you would in any large American city. There are two hotels that I have stayed in the past that are under U$S 100 a night. The Bel Air on Arelnales, is in the Recoleta but on the fringe in a very nice residential area. The public spaces are very nice, the rooms are a tad small but nice. Another would be Art Hotel on Azcuenaga. It is on the border of Bario Norte and Recoleta, and just a short walk to Ave. Santa Fe. Again this is a residential street and a very nice area.

For a few dollars more there is the Park Chateau Kempinski on Talcahuano. A bit closer to the central Recoleta area and a very nice hotel.

These are not large hotels, and I believe all provide a high level of personal service. Hope this is of assistance, and have a fantastic visit to one of the best cities in the world.
SAM