4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Plaza Hotel Buenos Aires
Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Costs 38% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• chrisbilal's Profile Photo

Hotel smack in the middle of the shopping district

Service was for the most part superb. Great facilities and work out room. Breakfast was very good as well. There were two incidents that marred our group's trip (it was a study trip for a school program)

1. Staff were caught going through the luggage of two members of our group.

2. Our group leader had an unexpected surprise after her room was double booked. The "other" occupant came in and woke her up at 2:30 AM.

It's for these two incidents that I gave such a low score. It's a bit of a pity since everything else was so good. Otherwise I would have recommended this for others.

Keep in mind, it's a five star hotel - things like this just shouldn't happen, so the penalty I gave is rather severe. Also, as the price was included in my tution, I can't give any feedback on that part.

Unique Quality: Excellent architecture with old world comforts. I particuarly enjoyed the helpfulness of the concierge and close proximity to major sites.

Directions: Main shopping district of Buenos Aires

• JessieLang's Profile Photo

Great Location

I spent 4 nights at the Marriott Plaza Hotel in November--3 at the beginning of our Antarctica cruise, and one on our return. Both rooms were clean and very nice--it had the most comfortable beds of any hotel I've been in for a long time, and the bathtubs are huge.

The Plaza is a historic hotel--they were celebrating their 100th year while we were there. It has only been a Marriott for about 10 years. It has been modernized for comfort, but it still feels like an elegant old hotel. The staff was pleasant and accomodating.

Unique Quality: The location couldn't be better--San Martin Plaza is across the street; Florida St. pedestrian area is just a block away; and Plaza de Mayo is walking distance.

They have a fitness center with a good variety of exercise equipment. There is an outdoor pool also, but it wasn't open for the season yet when we were there.

I don't take a computer when I travel, but my roommate used the wi-fi in the lobby. The rooms are wired also, but she had a little more trouble getting it set up.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Executive Level - 1 Bedroom Junior Suite

As a Gold Marriott Rewards member we decided to stay here because of its close proximity to Florida Street and the little perks we would receive. The hotel is considered one of the most distinguished in all of Buenos Aires.

We arrived before the designated time of check-in at about 1 pm, but our room was ready and we were checked in immediately. I was looking forward to seeing our room a Junior Executive Room. After checkin a porter took our key and bags and walked with us to our room, he opened the door and brought our bags in and showed us the layout of the room, pointing out certain features, indicating to us how to get to the Executive Lounge as well. He also made sure to tell us if we needed anything to ring the front desk.

The room, a 1 Bedroom Junior Suite was quite nice with a living area that had a nice couch and two chairs, a credenza and a screen tv, a desk and chair along the wall with internet hookup. The bedroom was amazing, it was beautifully decorated with dark furnishings, a nice chaise lounge chair at the foot of the bed, a dresser with another screen tv, and the bed linens were very soft. The bed was amazing to sleep in and we had an excellent nights sleep.

The bathroom was to the right of the bedroom as you enter with a large walkin closet, an ironing board and iron. The bathroom was a nice size with a marble sink, hair dryer and a good size bathtub.

The Hotel also has a few restaurant (which we did not eat in) a business center with internet access (at a fee), a concierge an outdoor pool, a fitness center, a few bars and and of course their Executive Level Lounge where we spent a few nice evenings enjoying some drinks as well as plates of assorted cheeses, fruits, other drinks like water or soda, cakes and other sorts of sweets at no added cost to us.

Unique Quality: This was a really great stay and we definitely enjoyed the convenient location which was located around the corner from Florida Street and across the street from Plaza San Martin. The hotel treated us excellent and the room was beautiful, clean, and very comfy.

I would definitely stay here again.

• T&M_Travels's Profile Photo

Good Central location

We stayed for 7 nights and flew free thanks to Mariotts rewards. The hotel was very nice and clean. Rooms were large. Concierge lounge was a little small but staff was very friendly and helpful. No free beer/wine like some foreign locations :( The subway was close by and it was easy to get around town. I liked the fact that is was in between the San Telmo/ Puerto Moderno and Recoleta/Palermo areas making it pretty easy to get to all of these must see areas.

• KStanz's Profile Photo

It's a Marriott

Picking this hotel depends on how you like to travel. If you want to be in the heart of everything, enjoy the luxury of a higher end Marriott and be surrounded by US tourists on group tours of seniors this is a perfect place. For the most part the service was superior. The first floor room we had was huge for a Marriott and was very comfortable. The architecture with the 15 foot ceiling was a nice change for a hotel.

Here are my gripes:
    1.) I felt like I was in the US.....No local flavor
    2.) I stayed at 3 hotels in BA & the mini bar prices were double all the others
    3.) They DID NOT check for ID when we needed a new key issued. I could have picked any room and asked for a key.

Alll in all, it is a good hotel, nicer than many Marriotts in the Us. We stayed 3 nights because we used Marriott points. If I had to put out cash, I would have picked a hotel that was cheaper and had more local flavor.

• Central and stylish

A warm welcome after a long 14-hour non-stop flight with quiet rooms and perfect service make this hotel a very nice place to stay for the first comer to B.A.. It is situated near lovely shopping malls and gives the opportunity to start exploring this big city on foot.

• skovmand's Profile Photo

Good but costly

I stayed with Marriot for a few days on a combined business and holiday trip in January 2007. I booked a deluxe room.

Style: Old fashioned classic style. The hotel has a looong history behind it.

Location: Excellent, next to both nightlife and shopping (Florida Street is just in front of the hotel).

Staff: Freindly but not as proactive as I would expect from a 4,5 star hotel. I have experienced a lot better service in other hotels. They let me pass them dragging 2 big suitcases and never offered me any help. I was standing looking for a map for a long time - again noone asked me if they could help me.

Services: They offer pretty much all you can think of - but it is very costly compared to "street price". They have a pool that was being renovated while I stayed at the hotel (sadly enough). High speed Internet is available but costs extra.

The Room: I got a top floor deluxe room with a balcony. A good view and actually a very nice room. A fantastic bed !! I slept like a baby (and I hate hotel beds - they are never like your own bed).

Price: I paid about 200 USD per night which is far too much compared to the rest of Buenos Aires. I had the feeling before I did the booking - but after being here and seeing other hotels and locations - I had it confirmed. The Marriot name is costly and gives you nothing except confidence that the hotel is not an underperformer.

Conclusion: A very good hotel - but not the best value for money though.

Unique Quality: A very comfortable room - location and services are very good.
    Bring your wife or girlfreind for a weekend - go shopping - order roomservice etc. :-)

Directions: In the Retiro area.

• penpoison's Profile Photo

San Martin Plaza location

I didn't use my points but actually stayed due to a tour package. The hotel is in a great location and I highly recommend it. There were some good amenities to the hotel and occasionally the hotel gave us complimentary gifts during our stay :) Housekeeping and service was fairly good. Rooms were comfortable but occasionally I could hear slight noise. The issues that I were mostly concerned were regarding access and the late check in. There is a 3 pm check in time for the hotel and I have seen guests wait to check in. Since the hotel is in a historic building, the lobby and the reception were in separate floors. Some people in my tour group who were disabled had to walk up a flight of stairs to get to the elevators.

Unique Quality: Pool, fitness facilities, shops and bar in the hotel. Excellent location in San Martin Plaza, across the street from the park and walking distance of Florida Ave, major shopping street . Good security.

Directions: San Martin Plaza

• sof76's Profile Photo

Marriott Plaza Hotel Buenos Aires

It used to be a very elegant and luxury hotel. Of course it's location is great! I've heard it stayed in time... that rooms are old and that is not worth going... I really don't know.

Solia ser un hotel muy elegante y lujoso. Por supuesto que su ubicacion es excelente! Escuche que se quedo en el tiempo y que las habitaciones son viejas y no vale la pena ir. Realmente no lo se.

Directions: In front of San Matin square.

Frente a la plaza San Martin.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo

Luxury plus

Beautiful hotel, fantastic location, staying at the Marriott Plaza was absolutely fabulous - and all the better for costing us next to nothing! Aren't loyalty schemes wonderful? We had three nights free here, using MrL's Marriott vouchers and all we had to pay was our bar bill.

The hotel had recently been completely refurbished. Our room was wonderfully comfortable and elegant with a bed that I wanted to take home with me. The staff were all charming and helpful - it was everything a five star hotel in one of the world's most elegant cities should be. It has spoilt me for any other hotel there when we return.

Unique Quality: The Marriott Plaza was the first great hotel to be built in Buenos Aires - and it has been THE place to stay ever since. Its location, right where Florida meets Plaza St Martin, is ideal for shopping and walking. For those who aren't already walked of their feet sightseeing, there's a gym, though a leisurely swim will probably be more relaxing.

• Best location in the city

Great Hotel, I have stayed numerous times in 2004, 2005 & 2006 while on business.

The Hotel is one of the oldest (1908) in the city so it lacks some of the services (in room hi speed internet) taken for granted in newer hotels but it has what I consider the best location in the city.

What I like best is that almost everything is within walking distance or a short cab ride (under USD $5.00)

Staff are very friendly and helpful. Make sure you request a park view room as they are the newer rooms with the best view of the area. Avoid the Junior Suites as they have not been renovated recently and tend to face the elevators.

A full course breakfast (Excellent! hot and cold) can be included in the room rate (average USD $150-250)

Unique Quality: The hotel is on the end of Florida Avenue which is about 10 blocks of all types of shopping (great for clothing, shoes or leather goods). No cars are permited on the street so there is lots of space for walking.

It is close to lots of fine dining such as the Puerto Madero district (the docks). Don't miss Cabana Las Lilas or Bice. For inexpensive meals try El Establo on Paraguay 489, just behind the hotel, great meal for 2 (try the lomo, its one of the best in the city) with wine and tip won't set you back more than USD$30.00

If you enjoy crafts, leather goods or local art try the weekend markets at Recoleta.

There is additional shopping on Av Alvear (High end designer goods) and Av Santa Fe (Mid priced goods), both a short walk from the hotel.

Another good place for high end goods is Patio Bullrich on Av. Del Liberartador, about a 10 minute walk from the hotel.

If you are into designer clothing go to the Christian Dior outlet on 3057 Lafinur. Mens 2 piece suits sell for USD$300 to $400, shirts for USD $30 to 80.

Directions: Plaza San Martin, on the end of Florida Street

• overestimated

To start with: my stay was in 2001 or 2002, the hotel might have been renovated since.
    Service was beyond criticsim, but my expectations to what from the outside and entry is a true Grand hotel in possibly the best location in Buenos Aires were absolutely not met by the small, dark and dull room and bathroom with rather poor furnishing.

Unique Quality: most prominent location

• ncoutroulis's Profile Photo

Very nice old hotel

I was here for business for two weeks, so i really got a good feel for the hotel. It's very nice, but a little old. The service was great, and the decor is charming, but the room was a little dark, and generic. There was also no internet access in the room, which was a problem for me being on business. Otherwise, it was very nice, and the location was great, very close to shopping, and restaurants.

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

Ok !

This hotel has a great location and that's about it. The rooms are spacious, but very plain, not what I expected of a 5 star hotel. The rooms are very dull and the beds need to be changed.The TV's were as old as they could get... with no satellite TV for CNN or ESPN...Why has the Marriott negelected this place is anybody's wonder...But in all honesty this probably the worst Marriott I have ever stayed and on top of that.... the staff was just OK, but they seemed to be pre-occupied with other issues !!!! Instead of mine......They don't get the fact that the guest comes first.....they need to learn from other Marriott staffs from other cities around the world..... Would not recommed it, and won't stay here again...not for the price...would stay here again if they charged only $50 a night and not $150 a night I was charged !!!!

Unique Quality: Location

• mrtourne's Profile Photo

A great hotel, could be greater

We had a great stay at the Marriott Plaza Buenos Aires using Marriott Points back in 2001. The hotel staff was very nice, even though we were very late due to flight delays and bad weather. They were also very gay-friendly, which is important to us. Also, on the day we checked out, they let us use the Health Club facilities to shower and change, which was great considering flights to the US don't leave until 10 PM and checkout is at noon. The pool is also nice and the location is very central to all attractions and Florida street.

Two small gripes:

1) At the time we stayed, we could see our rooms needed a bit of attention (especially the paint peeling because of humidity around the window). The bathroom was great though, all done in marble

2) Not their fault, but a word of caution - we stayed around St. Patrick's day, and all the irish bars are around the corner (about two blocks away). Now, on St Patrick's Day, the street where this bars are gets closed down, there's a street party and it gets pretty busy and noisy - so watch out if you are planning to stay around March 17!

More about Marriott Plaza Hotel Buenos Aires

Hotel Advice

by clmetal

A bunch of us (all guys) will be going to play golf a little, and party and enjoy the beach the rest of the time. We are all using hotel points, we can stay at either of the following 2 hotels for free. Can you advise on which Sheraton is better?
thanks

I can stay at any of these for free:

Sheraton Pilar Hotel & Convention Center
Panamericana KM 49.5 Pilar-Buenos Aires 1629

Sheraton Libertador Hotel
Avenida Cordoba 690 Buenos Aires 1054

Sheraton Buenos Aires Hotel & Convention Center
San Martin 1225/1275 Buenos Aires 1104

the others will probably stay here (opine too please):

Florida 1005 Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires C1005AAU

by Vale_B

Be careful because the Sheraton Pilar Hotel and Convention Center is in Pilar, a city located 55km from Buenos Aires city. Near Pilar you can practice golf and go out to a few bars or discos but ifyou want to have fun at night or visit the old part of the city maybe the best is to stay in the other Sheraton Hotels.

RE: RE: Hotel Advice

by clmetal

thanks - rule that out. We want to be in the city

by TVavra

I attended a conference at the Sheraton Libertador Hotel in June. I didn't take a room there, but it did appear to be a nice hotel. It was very near one of the major malls (about a block away), and there were many restaurants in the area.

RE: RE: Hotel Advice

thanks

by RicardoBA

The Sheraton Hotel and Convention is a very good choice on San Martin Plaza. It's like the typical Sheraton with outdoor pool,etc. I think that all the Sheraton properties in South America are well maintained and managed. If you have alot of Starwood points, then stay at the Sheraton Park Towers, which is attached to that complex. It is really deluxe. I have stayed at both properties and enjoyed both, but the Towers is Great!!
Suerte...

by elviajero85

hi

it really depends if you want to stay in downtown or on the countryside? and where do you want to enjoy the beach? there's no beach to use in bs as. the only thing is to go to tigre where you can swim in a river delta. i know the sheraton libertador and the marriott. i must say that i dont like the sheraton it quiet old, ugly designed... better go to the marriott. it has more class. the location is almost the same. the sheraton is a little bit closer to the center of downtown. the marriott is just 3minutes away.

Comments