Miravida Soho Hotel and Wine Bar

Darregueyra 2050, Buenos Aires, 1425, Argentina

More about Miravida Soho Hotel and Wine Bar

*Fantastic*

by TripAdvisor Member RyanZurich

My fiancée and I have just returned from a fabulous holiday in Argentina and Brazil. In a trip with many highlights, one of the standouts was our stay in the Miravida Soho hotel in Buenos Aires.

The hotel is located in a leafy street in bohemian Palermo Soho, very close to a wonderful array of restaurants, bars and designer shops. The hotel itself is small, with just six rooms, and occupies a beautifully restored mansion. We stayed in the terrace loft on the top floor, and were extremely happy with our large and comfortable room, which featured a walk-in shower, an in-room claw-foot bath, a large private terrace, and a large and comfortable bed. Despite the luxury we found the room to be very reasonably priced, and we in fact extended our stay by a number of days as we were so reluctant to leave.

Best of all, however, was the friendly and personalised service. The hotel is run by an ex-pat Canadian, James King, who went far beyond the call of duty in attending to our every need. James and his small and friendly team made helpful recommendations regarding restaurants, tango shows and the like, and took care of all booking arrangements for us as well as sundry other details. The service was attentive and efficient, yet down-to-earth and warm - we ended up feeling very much at home.

One final note - the included breakfast and the wine bar (managed by another ex-pat, the Australian Nigel) were fantastic!

This hotel carries our highest recommendation, and we hope to be back again.

Excellent Value in Palermo SoHo

by TripAdvisor Member MrJoelB

This hotel is new and still somewhat of a work in progress. The hosts could not be nicer. They are native English speakers, and they are happy to share their recommendations about BA sights, restaurants, etc.

Rooms are a bit small, but the price is attractive. Rates include a good breakfast. Wine bar off the lobby offers great value for the money.

Very Nice, Clean, Great Breakfast, Great Stay

by TripAdvisor Member sglander

This hotel was very nice. We finished our wonderful two week trip to Argentina here by spending two nights. The owner is very nice and attentive. We were actually upgraded to a beautiful room with a large patio deck. This was a perfect place to sit and split a bottle of Argentine wine to start off the night. The bed is comfy, there is cable television, and even an old, french style, bathtub in the room. The bathroom is clean with an enormous walk-in shower with good pressure and hot water. Breakfast was included and cooked to order after picking from a menu. It was very delicious and the ingredients seemed very fresh and well prepared. My wife and I are not connoisseurs of wine, we do enjoy to drink it though, but this hotel seems to really offer some great choices to those who appreciate fine vino. We split a bottle of some really great Argentine wine they offered out on our patio deck, which costs less than 10 dollars and can be sent up to the room with glasses, a corkscrew, and a bucket of ice if needed. I just went down and grabbed it though. English and Spanish is spoken at the hotel, so you can practice your Spanish, but also arrange plans in English to make sure you everything is set for your day or night.

Perfect! Perfect! Perfect!

by TripAdvisor Member lwagnero

I can't say enough about how perfect our stay at the Miravida Soho was. Jim (the owner) was a brilliant host, he was kind and accommodating, an excellent source for recommendations and he saved us by taking us in after a nightmare of a stay at The Cocker (see my review). The hotel is on a charming street, and walking distance to the subte, great shopping and restaurants

The hotel is very charming and impeccably designed inside and out. The lobby, dining room and outdoor dining/patio were all very comfortable. We stayed in two rooms, both on the third floor. We preferred the smaller room at the back of the hotel, it was quiet, comfortable, well appointed...just heavenly. The cable wasn't working in our room (it was fixed the next day) so Jim brought in a DVD player and some DVDs for us to watch, which I thought was really nice. Everything was kept very clean and our room was replenished daily. It is really a very professional operation he has going, everything is in its place, nice and tidy, even non-guest areas looked spotless and well kept. I take that as a sign of someone who cares very much about the overall experience of the guest.

The highlight of the Miravida Soho was the food, wow was it good! The breakfast that comes with your room rate was 5 star. Seriously, I haven’t found breakfast that good in Los Angeles. And I am not talking about pastries and yogurt here folks; I am talking French Toast, poached eggs over spinach toast, with thick bacon and excellent coffee. Lunch was equally as delicious, and I regret not having tried the dinner selections.

The staff is very polite and attractive; all the girls were stunning (especially the morning waitress!) and very well dressed. The wine list was fabulous, we really enjoyed Jims recommendations and it was nice to grab a bottle and take it upstairs to drink in our room, although we preferred to have our wine downstairs and chat with Jim, he was really great company :)

What else can I say? Oh! The mattress was very nice and comfortable (pillow top), the water pressure was great, the towels were fluffy, soft and plentiful, the sheets were high quality and soft and there were tons of pillows. We slept well, we ate well and we were sad to leave. We can't wait to get back to Buenos Aires, and to the Miravida Soho.

A unique hotel experience

by TripAdvisor Member Winstonformaldehyde

I would like to add my voice to those who are raving about this hotel. Myself and my wife spent three weeks at various locations in Brazil and Argentina along with my sister - who lives in Brazil. We spent a good deal of time in advance of our trip considering hotels and pousadas before commiting to any. We wanted reasonably priced yet comfortable accommodations. We were very happy with all the places that we settled on, but Miravida Soho was very special. It is a beautiful boutique hotel (and wine bar) located in Palermo Soho. Buenos Aires is of course enormous and the Palermo area is a fair distance from the city centre, but it has wonderful restaurants and excellent shopping opportunities - not to mention some delightful parks. The rooms (and the hotel in general) are beautifully furnished and decorated, and extremely comfortable. There is a great little wine bar which doubles as the breakfast room - and breakfast is very nicely presented, and I suspect geared more toward North Americans and Europeans in its menu. The hotel's greatest asset is its manager - James - and his staff. These people went to a great deal of trouble to make us feel welcome, and to assist us not only with advice about Buenos Aires but going so far as to recommend things for us to do and restaurants in particular (they made the restaurant reservations for us too). We are seasoned travellers, and we have had a host of differing hotel experiences but we have never felt so at home anywhere before - a real home from home in fact. We hope to return to Buenos Aires in the near future, and it would be most disappointing for us to have to book somewhere other than the Miravida Soho to stay in.

A Work In Progress

by TripAdvisor Member Sofia-Luca

We write because the other reviews were so glowing and might be potentially misleading. It was based on these same reviews that we chose to stay at Miravida Soho in July 2008. While we agree with some aspects of the other reviews (e.g., James is a fabulous host), we feel compelled to point out some of the issues with/limitations of the property.

For starters, this is a small property with six rooms and limited staff. The service seemed a bit off during our stay. We checked in late afternoon and our room was still not ready. Secondly, our room was on the small side, despite being billed as a larger room . There was no space to store our bags other than around the queen size bed that consumed the bulk of the room. The bathroom, while appealing in the abstract, was small and cramped. We are slim people and still found it hard to stand in the shower without being pressed against the sides of the shower stall. The shower also did not drain well.

At the time of our visit, our room did not have a room safe or central heating (a small electric space heater was provided instead). Moreover, we were swarmed by mosquitos (in the heart of the Argentine winter) when we opened the balcony door for some air. Our mattress also felt as if we were sleeping on sponge (we were informed later that the wrong mattress had been placed in our room, so this may have been fixed. From the response we received, it sounds like different rooms get different quality mattresses. We were in one of the more expensive rooms at Miravida.)

As a plus, Miravida is located on the edge of a really great neighborhood (Palermo Soho). It has tons of potential and I am certain that James will work out all the kinks. Moreover, the rooms are very competitively priced for people venturing to Buenos Aires on a budget.

For these reasons, we think that Miravida is a work in progress. It is not without its problems and any prospective lodgers should keep this in mind.

A jewel of a place!

by TripAdvisor Member IsaacBlue

My partner and I spent five days in Buenos Aires and without a doubt our stay at the Miravida Soho was one of the highlights of our visit to that great city. I really can't begin to rave about the things the hotel has to offer: From the comfy rooms and nice bathrooms; to the lovely Soho location the hotel is situated in; to the yummy breakfasts; to the wonderful wine bar; and to the great service James and his staff bestow on their guests. After a busy day of walking and sightseeing, it was always a pleasure to come to the quiet, tree-lined street of our hotel and mix with an eclectic but always interesting group of people. Kudos to James for creating a place where quality takes a valued position; and to his great staff - thank you, Nigel, for all the great wine selections! - for making this hotel one of the best experiences we've had in our world travels. Magnifico!

Miravida is a GEM!

by TripAdvisor Member plahdmon

My two teenage daughters and I stayed at Miravida Soho in July, 2008, just a few months after it opened. Without repeating others' glowing reports, I must say that Miravida Soho was a wonderful experience for us at an outstanding value. James and his staff modeled professionalism and kindness from start to finish. My daughters don't always go for small, homey hotels, but they absolutely loved this place. We all loved coming home after a day of touring to relax in the quaint wine bar and talk with other guests or the staff. Our suite (room 1, across the entire front of the building) was huge for 3 women (one king in the main room and a pull out with lots of room to spare in the room adjacent to the bath), and perfect for my daughter, who was on crutches, to get around. And the elevator always worked (which I hear isn't always the case in Argentine hotels). The decor was lovely, though not without an occasional place that needs a finishing job of paint or knob screwed in a little more tightly). James, Marcella, Nadia, Nigel and Karina couldn't have been more accomodating. When we feared "frying" our electronics with our little converter, James allowed us to borrow his mega-charger whenever we wanted to. If we needed touring suggestions, esp. since our original plan to walk a lot was aborted when my daughter broke her foot the day before our arrival, they were at the ready to help us figure out a plan. And there was always someone there to unlock and relock the door 24/7, making us feel safe at all times. They always knew who was in and out of the hotel.

Oh, and the food! YUM. Really, it was the kind of food where we not only loved eating, but took pictures of the food! Sebastian, the Argentine chef, outdoes himself. While we always enjoyed trying out new restaurants, we were more than happy to eat in the hotel if we were just in the mood to stay put. Finally, the neighborhood (Calle Serrano area) has the best "real" shopping in BA--meaning really great, funky stores that the average person can afford.

I've already recommended Miravida Soho to several friends!

Wonderful place

by TripAdvisor Member lupons75

What can I say about our stay at Miravida?? just excellent. we were 5 friends from Italy and we arrived in Buenos Aires during the days of the burns in April....so you can imagine what atmosphere we have found in the city. Then, we arrived at Miravida and we immediately felt in love with the place, James and all the staff. I believe that we were one of the first guests because Miravida opened few weeks before. After Buenos Aires we went to Patagonia for 10 days and on our way back to Italy we stopped again in Buenos Aires for one night and we were so happy to go back to Miravida. It is true that the rooms were still in progess, furnitures were missing and the service sometimes was a little slow, but the week after we found great improvements. We really enjoyed the atmosphere of people and the place, very easy but professional. We would suggest this place to our friends.

A Great Place in Palermo Soho

by TripAdvisor Member julieanb

We had a great stay at Miravida Soho. Jim and his staff were wonderful. It was especially nice having an English-speaking host to help us plan our excursions and restaurant selections. His patience in answering our many questions was much appreciated. The hotel's location just blocks from the center of Palermo Soho is also ideal.

Our room was a bit small, but this didn't matter as our free time was spent downstairs mingling with the friendly staff and enjoying the comfortable lobby and restaurant. They have an impressive array of wines and resident sommelier Nigel will pick just the right type for your palette. The breakfast menu, especially the yogurt parfait, is also exceptional (as are the Cappuccinos!).

You won't be disappointed.

Comments