Palace Cevallos

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

More about Buenos Aires

Plaza de MayoPlaza de Mayo

Luis our driver during our first tripLuis our driver during our first trip

Well polishedWell polished

San Martin squareSan Martin square

Football and Money

by greenlawbear

Hello

I was planning on going to the River v Banfield game in a few weeks.
Is it really necessary to get an expensive guide? I go to games in the UK every week and, though I realise its different, I'd like to just buy the ticket(for the 'quieter' part of the ground), dress down, and make my own way to and from the game.
I will be taking my girlfriend, but shes not easily scared!!

Also,I'm a bit cofused re money. Some seem to be suggesting that I can pay in shops or restaurants with Pesos OR US Dollars. Is this the case? And if so do you get better rates using Dollars. I was going to get a UK credit card(never had one) but have also read that a lot of retaurants dont take them or add a ridiculous charge?
Please help
Cheers

by jimwebster

You don't need a guide to see a football match. That would solely be someone trying to make money off of you. Someone else would need to tell you where to buy the tickets though. And this should be in Argentine pesos.

As far as currency, you are much better off using Argentine pesos. In the center of the city where most of the tourist stay, many resturaunts and souvenir shops will accept US Dollars, or maybe even the Euro now, but it will be at a rate that is in their favor. When you get out of "El Centro" (downtown) most places only accept pesos. There are ATM machines everywhere in Argentina, but beware that they only give pesos in $100 peso bill increments. The fee at the ATM machines range from US $1.00 and up, depending on your credit card or debit card company. With debit cards being the better choice.

As far as using a credit card to pay for something, I would avoid this. (This is my personal opinion, of course.) In Argentina itself (for Argentines), the credit card interest rate is as high as 25%.

by greenlawbear

Jim

Thanks a million. I'll stick to the pesos with me debit card. My bank will make a few bob, but what can you do.
Cheers

by Julialu

Hi ,
What you can do go to River Stadium and get the ticket its not so hard to do!!!!!

jl

by jimwebster

Thank you, Julialu. I figured so, but wasn't sure. I have been to River Stadium twice, once to a football (soccer) match and once to a concert (Eric Clapton), but someone else had purchased the tickets for the football match. I had went as part of a group when I was taking evening Spanish classes and our instructors took care of purchasing the tickets so that we would all be together.

Travel Tips for Buenos Aires

Make sure to claim your VAT at the airport!

by Gypsystravels

If you have made any large purchases (in a reputable location) the sales clerk will fill out the forms necessary for you to claim your VAT.

With the form you will be able to take it to a counter where it is vaildated and stamped then you are directed to go to the VAT window (at another location) to collect your money.

It is quite easy, but you must make sure to have the clerk fill out the forms for you, it makes a difference and you can actually get quite a bit of money if you did a lot of shopping!! I was quite excited because we got back $237 AR pesos, more money to spend on the duty free shop! Yay!!

Justice is a free country!!!

by mannymiami

The title up above is what is written on the pedalstone of that statue. This is in front of the government building in Buenos Aires. I happened to be at the right sopt when I took this picture. It seems that the Argentine People have gone through so many corupt governments and presidents that they are jsut tired. When I was there the first time in December of 2001 and January 2002 they went through 4 presidents in two weeks. Its a shame because of all this coruption at one time the richest country in South America is rapidly falling into a country where 50% of the people are going into rapid poverty... I can defenitly say that I fell in love with this country and I hope it picks up and stand tall like it has always been the proud country that it is...

Packing List

by claudiaprill

If you are traveling alone you will not need more than a bag with the essentials. Summer: T-shirts, shorts, casual pants and a more dress up attire will take you every where.

Winter: it is very cold, imagine VERY cold but without snow but humid so turtle necks, sweaters, overcoats, jeans, and tons of socks and boots. The essentials In BA the voltage is different than USA, there is a 220VW of power so if you are coming from the states bring a transformer with you.
If film in your country is not expensive bring enough for the whole trip with you and don't think on developing your pictures there since is expensive ($25 to develop a 2 roll)

Florencio Varela municipality

by DPando

This municipality is one more of the crowded Buenos Aires outskirts that join the actual Capital...Florencio is more or less 25 km southward from Microcentro passing by la Boca as the last Bs As quarter, Quilmes and Avellaneda, finally we get this municipality with its own mayor and local laws...
Actually there isnt a spam without buildings among Buenos Aires and Florencio Varela with any casual exeption but wherever you see there are buildings ..sometimes just shanty towns (like Villas) other very populated areas ...
Varela as locals know it has its local city hall and mayor besides its local laws ...its not a touristic place..at all....but you can see other kind of people and other ways to do to Capital....it is a dangerous place after dusk! and its absolutelly true

Tango Show

by gkr692 about Tango shows - Tango places

The Old Almacen Tango Theatre offered a great show....however as we were vigilant about thievery while on the streets we never expected to be annoyed to pay the bill while the theatre was pitch black. Finally with the light of a cell phone we got together the $420 admission for eight of us and the a waiter took the cash. When the show was over, the waiter came and demanded payment. The police arrived, no one allowed us to us a phone, handcuffs were banged onto the table and there was no one who spoke english. To avoid the cost of a lawyer and a night in jail we had to pay again. Be forewarned. Avoid this place. It seemed like the Almacen and the police were together in this. By the way, we are 8 grandmothers....not the sort to skip out on the bill.

Comments