Pampa Hostel

Expedia.com HostelBookers.com Hostelworld.com

More about Buenos Aires

Carlos Gardel, Cafe TortoniCarlos Gardel, Cafe Tortoni

Vivid colorsVivid colors

Beef in a peppercorn wine sauce with potatoesBeef in a peppercorn wine sauce with potatoes

cathedral insidecathedral inside

Boca Juniors

by anywhere24

Hi I am in need of your fantastic help!

I will be in BA for 1 week in April and have been looking into gong to a Football match when there. It is my parner 30th bday and I know how much he would love this as a surprise.
Please, please please can you advise me whether there are any matches in April and if so how can I get tickets? Can I pre book now or will I have to buy nearer the time.
I have been on several 'whats on' websites that state boca play river plate in april.
This would be fabulous and I would love to get tickets. no matter what the price!
Unfortunately I don't speak the best spanish!, so cannot go on baca juniors websites and find out more.
Also will it be the new season then and maybe the exact date is not known? or does this match happen at the same time every year?
Please help in anyway.

Thanks

Re: Boca Juniors

by Bigmac52

I agree with the previous replier.

I have been with Tangol several times ( never to a Boca v's River though ) and found the to be excellent.

Their office is easy to find - San Martin end of Florida almost next to McDonald's in a small shopping Mall.

I don;t thik that the dates for next sessin are set until December / January.

Bigmac52

Travel Tips for Buenos Aires

Getting arround with somebody...

by Lunita

Getting arround with somebody able to show you everything here, and if youre not able to find somebody, walk all you can you will enjoy it ( Or call Argentina Alive hahahah) Walk for Buenos Aires street´s listening good music, go on ride watching everything, met people, go out with friends, good food, seat in a cafe just watching ...Buenos Aires, nostalgy, fun.....mix of emotions in every corner....

Our favorite personal experience with Adalina

by Gypsystravels

First, let me say that we meet Adalina twice. Once in Cementerio de la Recoleta and the other time at the Jardin Botanico.

We were walking around the cementary when Ferni and I said we wondered if people come to visit their loved ones at the cementary since almost everyone we saw were tourist. At that moment, we turn down one of the sections of the cementary and we see this older women (she is 82) just sitting in front of a mausoleum with flowers and a rosary, getting ready to pray. We stop to say hello and asked her who she was there to visit. She was so happy to talk to us, she told us that her husband was interred there, but that it wasn't a family mausoleum. Her husband was the driver of the daughter of the doctor who's family the mausoleum belonged to and they allowed her husband to be interred there as he was a very loyal employee.

We continued to listen to her as she told us she was a child of Italian immigrants and that she had lived in Buenos Aires for over 70 years. She told us about her family and her children and how she missed her husband. She lived alone because her children lived out side of Buenos Aires and then she said, would you like to take a picture of me?

I really wasn't going to, but she asked, so she got herself ready and even posed for me. We said our goodbyes and continued exploring the cementary.

The following day we were in Jardin Botanico when we see her sitting at a bench, just sitting there. We approached her and said hello, she was so happy to see us again. We sat at the bench next to her and talked to her for about an hour. She told us more stories about her family and how she arrived in Buenos Aires. She again told us she was lonely, but thankful for so much. She then again asked if we wanted another picture of her. She was so sweet and I wanted to just spend more time with her, but she said that she needed to make her way back home.

We said our goodbyes but I will remember that women's kind heart, that face and the fact that she was so friendly and open to two strangers who happen to stop to talk to her.

Newstands (Puestos de Diarios)

by sabrina_florida

Just stand in any corner, look around and you'll spot one. There's one in every block.
They sell local newspapers and magazines. In the ones located on Florida street you can get some international ones. The only local newspaper in English we have is the Buenos Aires Herald, with local and international news.

El Rio

by Shakermaker

If you have time and want to get away from the madness of the city a nice place to go is to the river, in La Lucila (Vicente Lopez). Don't expect to find a lot of things here, just a nice green lawn to go and walk around and some games if you have kids for them to play. Of course you will see a lot of locals hanging around, resting and having a little break from the work day....also some others drinking some mate and eating bizcocohos.
But the best thing is the panoramic view you get of the city, is really beautiful, specially at night.
This place is safe during the day and the night.
You can take the 168 bus and get off at Libertador y Parana or take a cab (from dpwntown to here its around $15-$20 pesos)

Walk down Avenida Santa Fe for great shopping

by mrtourne about Avenida Santa Fe

One of my favorite areas to both shop and window-shop in Buenos Aires is Avenida Santa Fe, the wide avenue that goes all the way from Palermo to Plaza San Martin.

Since the avenue is that long, however, let me ellaborate. When you start from Plaza San Martin (where the Marriott is and Florida starts), you won't see much until reaching 9 de Julio. Don't let yourself be fooled by this, cross 9 de Julio or you'll miss the best part!

The best shopping is probably between the 9 de Julio and Callao avenues. This area is more leisurely, and mostly concentrates on clothing stores, some home furnishing stores, the excellent "Plata Lappas" where you can buy high end silver items, and bookstores. Cafes in many of the corners allow you to stop for a pastry and coffee as you walk up and down. There is a good mix of big brand shops and small boutiques. Also, make sure you make it into the Galerias (especially in the 3 blocks closer to Callao) where you can find some hidden gems. This whole area is about 8 blocks long, with shops on both sides.

Once you pass Callao, the area between Callo and Pueyrredon avenues is a bit more chaotic, especially for the presence of movie theathers, discount shops, etc. Still it's interesting to walk for some local color. This is about a 10 block span.

Once you pass Pueyrredon, it gets very neighbourhood-centric, with not so many shops until you reach the Alto Palermo Shopping center. If you want to go to Alto Palermo from downtown though, I would recommend to take the subway, since it's quite a walk. Very varied offerings on this avenue. Some of the best men's clothing stores are between Callao and Nueve de Julio Check the windows!

Comments