Sarmiento 1775, 3rd Floor, Buenos Aires, CP1041, Argentina
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Rooney's Boutique Hotel

Boutique hotel with potential, but not quite there

by TripAdvisor Member sincewednesday

Rooney's is an elegant, if sparsely, decorated small hotel located on the third floor of a rehabbed apartment building. The staff and (Irish) owner were friendly and helpful.

Due to a scheduling quirk, I spent 10 nights between a "studio" and a "superior" room. I would dissuade anyone from booking the studio room which had far too many compromises, while I would tepidly endorse the superior room. While beautiful and stylish, I felt the rooms were poorly designed for functionality.

The superior room is fairly spacious, and the bathroom included a traditional tub and sink. The non-removable shower head is located in the center of tub which proves awkward, and the hot and cold spigots are mislabeled (they're in English so it's not a case of "C" = "Caldo"). The shower curtain is not long enough, which results in water spraying out of the tub. The bathroom does include a bidet and hair dryer.

The studio room is just large enough to fit the major pieces of furniture, though it featured a small wardrobe which did not provide enough hanging height for even a man's sportscoat. Forget about hanging women's clothing. The toilet and sink/shower were split between two separate mini-rooms. Creating endless frustrations, the sink/shower room did not even include a shelf so there was no space to place toothpaste and toothbrush, never mind other toiletries. Nor was there a hair dryer. The shower is about half-width, so there isn't enough space to turn around.

Both rooms included doors to a small balcony, a safe, and a wired Ethernet port for Internet connection. Wireless is available, but was somewhat flaky and unreliable.

Other reviews have described this hotel as "centrally located," which may be true, but the hotel also isn't particularly near anything of great interest. Convenient to all, but close to none.

The breakfast buffet is a Continental breakfast which features cereal, yogurt, fruit salad, some fresh fruit, (sweet) croissants, various pastries/desserts, toast, coffee/tea, orange juice, and milk.

Also be warned that the exterior rooms are fairly noisy even for this city resident. The hotel is located on the corner of the busy Av. Callao and Calle Sarmiento, and windows were single-paned letting in plenty of noise. Street kids hung out well into the evening on Sarmiento to panhandle the drivers stopped at the intersection. And on weekends, partygoers let out around 6-7am. Strangely, the interior wall also includes a clear window without curtains above the door which lets in light from within the hotel into your room.

Those staying for short periods of time would certainly be satisfied with the many enjoyable characteristics of this hotel, but the poorly designed features would make a longer stay maddening.

Hmm! - not quite as advertised...

by TripAdvisor Member KareliaBermuda

On a busy street and flanked by two strip clubs, and with the odd homeless person on the stairwell, Rooney's gives an unprepossessing first impression. Rooms very variable and a little tawdry - bedspread stained and the shower flooded the bathroom each time. The staff were very pleasant and helpful, if a little vague at times.
Very noisy at night from the street traffic.
Rather like stepping back in time to the 1930's - the hotel grew on me during my 3 days there - great location for the central part of the city.

Brilliant hotel

by TripAdvisor Member sunnysoul

Quiet, cool rooms, friendly staff, beautiful 100% cotton spotlessly clean bedding and towels. Relaxed atmosphere, completely safe and great location - wouldn't hesitate to stay again. Fantastic

Did not come close to expectations

by TripAdvisor Member UnhappyUnitedKingdom

Hotel sited on the third floor accessed via a security gate from the street and then via a rickety lift or common stairs shared by other occupants in the building.
The delux room did not live up to our expectations build up by the apperance on the website. Bedroom butted onto the narrow reception corridor/desk with resultant noise and light coming into the bedroom via a fanlight. Unable to get hot water to the washbasin and cistern located directly behind the bedhead behind a thin wall.
My wife and I declined to stay in the Hotel - But as we had booked for 7 days ( on account of the Web description)- ended up paying a two night cancellation fee - Not a good start to our Buenos Aires Holiday.
We found much better accomodation and enjoyed the rest of our visit to Argentina

Great stay at Rooney's!

by TripAdvisor Member DCAbby

My husband and I stayed 5 nights at Rooney's from November 14 - November 20 (minus one night for a day trip). We loved this hotel. There are several factors that added to our happiness with the hotel:

1)The location could not be more perfect. It's in a central part of town where you can easily access each neighborhood quickly and conveniently. It is in between two major avenues that run through the city so it makes it even easier if you like to walk and explore cities. One reviewer talked about it being in between 2 strip clubs and on a busy street. There is a lot of nighttime activity on the street. It never feels unsafe though nor did it feel seedy. We're from a city, so maybe the noise didn't bother us too much, but it wasn't that big of a deal. It definitely woke us up occassionally, but it isn't a make or break thing for me. If you're staying in a big city, there is bound to be street noise. I'm also confused by the point of mentioning the "rickety elevator" by one reviewer - that has no purpose to your stay. It's big enough to carry two people and their luggage, so what more do you need? If you are the type that wants to stay at a Marriott everywhere that you go, this hotel is not for you. If you want to stay at a hotel that truly shows you the character of the city you are in, this is the perfect place.

2)The staff was fantastic. They were incredibly helpful and kind. We booked a football game through them and it was great. All around, it is obvious that they take care in their service and with their guests.

3) The rooms - We stayed the bulk of our time in a deluxe room. It was unbelievably charming. It was so cute with high ceilings and an ornate chandelier. It was even bigger than we expected (especially since we expect old boutique hotels to have small rooms). When we returned from our side trip, we moved to a superior room - it was definitely smaller but no less charming nor did it skimp on accommodations. The rooms were always clean and they would tidy up any clothes that we had strewn all over the place.

I really loved Buenos Aires and when we return, we will stay with Rooneys' again.

Felt like I was at home!

by TripAdvisor Member braasch_us

I was a little bit nervous about going to Buenos Aires but once I arrived to the hotel I knew that I was going to have a wonderful time! The staff really made me feel at home and were genuinely interested in my overall experience in Buenos Aires and not just with my stay at the hotel, which was absolutely wonderful! The location was superb as I could get to most of the attractions on foot.

The hotel was tastefully done, the breakfasts were even tastier and the Tango classes were way better than I could have imagined. As I don't have a lot of Spanish, Rooney's recommended me to attend ECELA for two weeks to learn some Spanish and that was a really good idea as well.

I hope to go back to Buenos Aires soon and I will definitely stay at Rooney's again! :-)

Buen viaje!!!

Good value, great location, outstanding staff

by TripAdvisor Member jamaica77

As noted by other reviews, the initial impression of arriving at the hotel is underwhelming - the property is located on a busy side street adorned with bodegas, electronics stores, and a few dubious 'businesses'. You'll need to look carefully for the sign, and be prepared to ring a bell and pass through a few doors and up an old (but charming) lift to get to the 3rd floor of the building - where the front desk is located.

Once inside, however, you'll find a 19th century home-turned intimate-hotel with old world charm and a very friendly, dedicated staff. Yes, the hotel is brand 'new' and still working out some kinks - our toilet didn't work our second night and the door locks are a little too vintage - but the english-speaking staff were quick to help out with any needs. If you're looking for flat panel TVs, bauhaus design and chic euro interiors, look elsewhere. The rooms are comfortably appointed in all the necessitites - A/C, tv, armoir - and appear to have been restored to match the orginal turn of the century decor seen throughout older buildings in BA. Beds are a bit stiff, and smaller rooms don't have hairdryers, however we found our room to be quiet and appropriate for a couple nights in BA. Breakfast is also good, with all the standard continental fare.

The hotel is centrally located in the business/federal district of the city, 7-8 blocks from the main Avenue (9 Julio) and roughly equidistant to more upscale Recoleta. My wife and I felt safe walking around the area (police are quite prevalent) and to various sites near the hotel, and the front desk staff are quick to call a taxi for longer trips to ensure you don't get rooked as a tourist.

So why stay here? Well, as noted above, the staff are excellent. Nico was our receptionist our first night, and recommended an outstanding Tango show (El Querandi) for my wife and I - as well as a good italian restaurant on the water. He was patient, polite, and knowledgeable, invaluable traits when traveling to another country where you're not fluent in the native language. Martin, Julietz, and Melena were extremely helpful during our checkout, allowing my wife and I to quickly change and refresh in a used room before our 10 hour flight back to the states. The Irish owner was also very helpful and insightful - my wife and I were considering a trip to La Boca (not the safest place) and he politely suggested we instead visit San Telmo, a closer and - as we found out - better spot for artwork and local artifacts/culture.

Overall, I'd recommend Rooney's for those looking to stay 2-3 nights in BA and open to avoiding the touristy, chain/commercial hotel experience. Prices are commensurate with other boutique hotels, and are a good value for the city. Location is also good for sightseeing and walking the city, and there is a cab stand 30 feet from the entrance. Like many new, small businesses you'll find some kinks, but I think you'll appreciate the sincerity and professionalism of the staff and character of the building far more memorable than whether you had a satellite TV, down comforters, and room service.

Lovely staff, Beautiful city

by TripAdvisor Member rubanoz

The hotel is in a very central location, on the 3rd floor of a wonderful old building, with a lovely elevator. We stayed there for 6 nights and found the staff very helpful and friendly. We stayed in a deluxe room, with a view of the small courtyard, so it was quieter than a street facing room. The room was a decent size, and the bathroom was clean and tidy. This hotel had been renovated recently (apparently 7 months ago). It has been renovated with a very stylish way.
Buenos Aires is a fantastic city. Our favorite things including walking around the city, attending a polo match and a boca game and visiting the numerous shops, bars and restaurants.
I would highly recommend staying at this place.

Rooney was very charming

by TripAdvisor Member cjtrvl

We stayed at the Rooney for 9 nights in 2 different rooms and had a great experience. We liked the room with windows to the street better but opted for an interior room the 2nd half of our stay because it was MUCH quieter. Be aware the Rooney is in the theater district which is very busy and noisy so earplugs are a must if you have an exterior room.
The hotel is very charming and the location is convenient to all parts of the city with the Subte stop a couple blocks away. Cabs are easy to catch at the hotel and the staff will arrange tours and transportation to the airport .
The common areas are lovely and the salon is a pleasant place to relax after a day of sightseeing. Nico will graciously serve you a glass of wine there to help you unwind! The staff was great and very helpful (and English speaking) and the women serving the breakfast were particularly friendly and pleasant.
Somewhat reluctantly we decided to take the tango class the hotel offers and had a lot of fun! The instructors were great and VERY patient...thanks again to them!

A charming, delightful experience!

by TripAdvisor Member 2Tangolovers

My wife and I are seasoned travelers and highly recommend that you stay at Rooney's Boutique Hotel in Buenos Aires. We spent 5 days and 4 nights at Rooney's the 1st week in December, 2008. The proprietor, Kieran Rooney, happenened to be there when we checked in early in the morning after a long flight. While we waited for our room to be ready, he recommended restaurants, tours, and city high lights as we sat in the beautiful parlor and drank freshly squeezed orange juice. He also loaned us books on Argentina and B.A. The rooms are spacious and elegant, but our bath could have used more counter space and towel hooks. The breakfast was fresh, varied, and delicious. It was quite interesting to meet the other guests. The 2 free tango lessons we had at the hotel with some other guests were alot of fun. All of the staff seemed like part of our family when we had to leave for our cruise. Rooney's is centrally located within walking distance to most of the main city attractions in a safe area. We thoroughly enjoyed our entire stay at Rooney's.

Comments