Arojamiento Nati

Burnos Aires 488, Humahuaca, 4630, Argentina

More about Humahuaca

Family AffairFamily Affair

Local restaurantLocal restaurant

Traditional market scéneTraditional market scéne

View on the market/mountainsView on the market/mountains

Traveling to Humahuaca

by Lunarts

Hello,
We are planning a trip to Argentina late september/oktober 2007. It is my third trip to Argentina, the first one was 3 months in Argentina so I know a little about it. The problem from here (Netherlands) is to check things out:

After staying in B.A. we would like to take the train to Tucuman http://www.xcolectivo.com.ar/tren/index.html
Is this service operational?

Then we would like to hire a car from Tucuman and go to Jujuy and Humahuaca (I am a professional photographer. Is there any news about the road conditions getting into the mountains early october? And what sort of car do I need?

Last question is abouth health. My local ministry of health tells me about all vacinations we need (Yellow fever etc.) and taking the wonderfull malaria pills I do not like very much because they don't seem to work anyway.

Please advice and thanks a lot.

RE: Traveling to Humahuaca

by Porteno

Only one friend that I know bravely took the train to Tucuman and he is not a high end traveler. His comment was, "at first I was afraid I would die and then afraid that I would not." In other words it was beyond bad. SO if you want to travel overland take the bus. Another option would be to fly to Mendoza, bypassing the rather uninteresting landscape between BA and Mendoza and then taking a bus north.

Early October you will still face the possiblity of late season snow and ice in the mountains. So be aware. You might check in with the Argentine Automobile Club in Buenos Aires, it is a fantastic building to see but should be able to provide you valuable information as well. Their web site is www.aca.org.ar/

As for shots, I have never heard of malaria being a problem in Argentina, not that it could not be but especially at that time of year I could not imagine a problem for malaria or yellow fever. I would recommend shots for Hepatitis A & B, booster doses for tetanus-diphtheria and maybe the Rabies pre-exposure vaccination, and Typhoid just as a precaution.

Hope this helps
suerte
SAM

RE: Traveling to Humahuaca

by diana_renou

Hi, well..about vacinations, I was there the year before In Humahuaca carnival and I did not need anything (I am very carefull with my health) You should bring with you insectiside to avoid the mosquitos). I know that a few cases of dengue were reported in Salta (wich is near Jujuy and Quebrada de Humahuaca)

Travel Tips for Humahuaca

Local market in Purmamarca

by Luchonda

A joy to visit this local market in the center of Purmamarca, full of Indian clothes, handcraft and souvenirs located in opposite of the small little but beautiful church and of course the famous 7colored mountain, the highlight of this village.
In my opinion the best place to buy souvenirs in northern Argentina

Local market in Humahuaca village

by Luchonda

This Humahuaca valley is full of local indian markets, in villages like Humahuaca or in Purmamarca.
Visiting those markets gives you a real feeling to be in Latin America, if it is in Ecuador or Peru or Argentina, the surroundings and atmosphere is just unique.

Hear a poem said by a little boy

by ptitetoile

This little boy wanted to say a little poem or song on Humahuaca in order to have a candy or a piece of money...and once again, we did not resist...we did not understand everything but it was quite nice actually ;-)

The Monumento a la Idependencia

by ptitetoile

From the plaza, a staircase climbs to the Monumento made by the Tilcara sculptor Ernesto Soto Avendaño. The Indian statue is a example of indigenismo, a nationalist tendency in Latin American art and literature that romantically extols the virtues of native cultures. Even if the statue is not interesting for you, the view from there on the village is really beautiful.

Humahaca : my favourite Quechua town and region

by ptitetoile

Humahuaca (3000 m.) is a very picturesque and traditional town from the XVI century, located in the Quebrada de Humahuaca, in the North of Salta, in the Northwest of Argentina. Until the XIX century it was one of the main commercial centres of the Alto Perú, the largest settlement between Jujuy and the Bolivian border.
Its narrow cobbled streets and low houses made of adobe that still keep their ancient shape give to the village a really charming atmosphere...

"Indian atmosphere"

I felt there in another time...in fact, it is like it has always been...an indian town with all its characteristics...The empty paved streets (cars are also very rare) give a wonderful perspective...and the Quechua population in traditionnal clothes makes it even more authentic.

"Quebrada de Humahuaca"

Humahuaca (that takes its name from an ancien tribe) is also the name of the region and the canyon (Quebrada) that was created by the river Rio Grande.
The Quebrada is a protected heritage of the humanity for its civilization and villages but also for its colorful mountains (The valley of the painter). From Jujuy to Humahuaca, the road n°9 crosses incredibly nice landscapes and mountains...
I recommand the ride!!!!! The greatest places of the Quebrada de Humahuaca are Purmamarca, Tilcara, Uquia, Maimará and Humahuaca itself!

Comments