Costa Flores, Alto Agrelo, Mendoza, Argentina

Costs 138% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Cavas Wine Lodge

Loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member MrandMrsSolihull

We visited Cavas Wine Lodge in March, during the Harvest Season. It is a fab place. The food was absolutely stunning, I loved my fresh salads, my husband died for the Ojo de Bife. And they cook it right! - Argentines tend to overcook the meat - Try the bath in red wine and the scrub, fantastic! So relaxing...And do not miss the Andes hike and the brie, arugula and olive oil picnics. Can't wait to return.

Paradise

by TripAdvisor Member LuleGrandi

Cavas Wine Lodge is an oasis in the middle of Mendoza’s dessert. Our stay there was incredible, full of surprises and spectacular details of hospitality, charm and good taste.
I’d like to highlight its owners (Cecilia and Martin), who were always around, sharing with us and looking out for the place’s magic.
The view, the food, the wine and the spa treatments are a must.
Luciana, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Great Experience

by TripAdvisor Member panamby

My husband and I returned from Cavas Wine Lodge and we were very impressed with the extraordinary service. Everything was arranged by the concierge. We played golf at close by La Vacherie, the course is 9 holes with spectacular views of the Andes.
We combined this experience with visits to very small boutique wineries. We were too lazy to go out for dinner, so we stayed in the 3 nights and we ate once in the cellar. Very romantic.
"Muito bacana" as we say in Sao Paulo. We will be back for sure.

paradise in wine country

by TripAdvisor Member sessatecca

My husband and I just returned from Argentina and visiting Mendoza & Cavas Wine Lodge was the definite highlight of our trip. From beginning to end, we were truly in awe. As soon as we arrived we were whisked away to the outdoor terrace for a picture-perfect (and delicious) lunch. Picture a sunny, 72 degree day, sipping rose, staring at the snow-capped Andes, listening to beautiful music. The service was incredible, as were the accomodations (whoever thought of the individual rooftop terraces is a genious!) We called in advance and asked to be set up on a day of wine tasting including a car and driver for the day...they prepared the perfect itinerary. Everything about the place was truly incredible. They provide bikes to ride around the property and surrounding vineyards. The nightly entertainment is beautiful (piano player one night, solo violinist at sunset another night.) By the time we left we felt we had made some new friends that we can't wait to go back and see again. We are picky people when it comes to hotels and this was honestly one of the best we've stayed at.

Excellent Place

by TripAdvisor Member AHCBuenosAires

Though I went to Mendoza (Argentina) a year ago, I still remember the wonderful landscapes and for my own surprise, my lodging place.

Cavas Wine was a perfect place, a summation of good taste and human warmth. The harmony between the landscape, place decoration and personalized attention made that Cavas Wine has now a special place in my favorite list.

I highlight the perfect conjunction between privacy and the one on one attention given by Lodge’s personnel.

Without any doubt this is a place to recommend and obviously, return every time I can.

Alejo H. Chiessa
Buenos Aires - Argentina

Great place and location

by TripAdvisor Member SFVacationer

This is a fabulous, very luxurious place. The casitas are beautifully designed with lots of amenities. The location can't be beat--the placea is set literally in the middle of a vineyard with amazing views of the snowy Andes right outside your door.

The staff are uniformaly friendly, and expect nice "bonuses," such as live music in a small amphitheater-type space. All the contracted services, such as the drivers, are top quality.

Food, too, is excellent.

Just one word of caution: If you do the all-inclusive program--which includes tours of wineries, dinners at the area's best restaurants, etc.--the staff is a bit chaotic about making plans.

They don't seem to communicate well among themselves, and even when you've confirmed, or made changes to, itineraries via email, don't expect the final itinerary to be what you expected. There's lots of going back and forth to get what you want--if that makes a difference to you. It can be an annoying distraction for such an otherwise first-rate operation.

Can be hit or miss- price expectations not met

by TripAdvisor Member LHD47

Cavas has certainly garnered lots of media attention. We went with high expectations and while the overall stay was good, it wasn't the top quality the reports led us to expect. The location is very beautiful and they've done an excellent job with creating an architecturally beautiful site. However, it was in the details that things fell short.

We arrived and were greeted nicely by some of the staff. However, unlike some of the other reviews on here, we never met the owners and in fact watched them lavish attention on a group of businessmen visiting the site while we were there. We found Paula at the front desk to be quite cold and really not very helpful with any of our questions. After we found a humongous spider in our room in the middle of the night (and I mean large -- it was about three inches across!) and took care of it and then reported it to the front desk, they said "oh yeah, those come from the vines". No "i'm sorry" or anything. I'm not usually afraid of a bug here and there and I understand that we were located in the middle of the vines, but this was unusual. The next night, we had an infestation of ants in our bathroom. We reported it in the morning and they cleaned it up with Raid; they left the bottle behind in the bathroom for us to use as needed. This meant our room smelled like Raid the rest of our trip. Finally, I have to say that the room wasn't as clean as I'd expect - there were stains on some of the blankets and a good number of spider webs throughout the room.

However, the kitchen staff and the food were delightful. We loved the salads in particular. The kitchen staff were cheerful and really delivered excellent food.

In sum, Cavas is a great place to visit and I do recommend it. However, if you're expecting the luxury experience that their price suggests, you may be disappointed.

Lovely, but lacking in some basics - not worth money

by TripAdvisor Member PirateJenny

Cavas is a luxurious-looking place: the cabins and common buildings are exquisitely designed and decorated. The staff are friendly (if a bit obsequious) and booked us a terrific wine tour at Lagarde. The view to the Andes cannot be beat -- one of my favorite experiences here was sitting on the roof of our cabin writing postcards and watching the sun set over the mountains. The cabins are situated right in the rows of grapevines, which makes for a neat walk back from the dining room. The food and wine at the restaurant are good, and the massage and facial I had at the spa were really nice. They even put a box of chocolates in our room because it was our honeymoon!

However, based on our experience, I would NOT recommend visiting during the winter (June through August), unless you enjoy sleeping in cold temperatures. Our cabin was very cold when we arrived, and it remained cold throughout our 2 days and 2 nights. The small wall heaters (radiator) appear to be insufficient to heat the large space inside the cabin. Our first night, the thermometer on our alarm clock read 14 degrees Celsius, or 57 degrees Fahrenheit, much colder than we find comfortable (and only slightly warmer than the temperature outside), and we slept very poorly. Staff responses included telling us they'd gone in and opened the heater valves all the way (which we had already done), hanging extra curtains over the windows, and giving us a plug-in space heater, which was just as ineffective as the wall heaters. Our second night, we took matters into our own hands, built a fire in the fireplace, and, after using what seemed like half a tree's worth of firewood, finally heated the place to a reasonable temperature for sleeping (lower 60s) Fahrenheit. The staff were nice about the heat problem throughout, but they failed to fix it.

To say the least, it is very disappointing to pay nearly $300 USD per night for a place and the heat doesn't work. When we checked out, the staff gave us a 500ml bottle of Cavas wine as an apology gift. Money off the bill would have been far preferable to yet another item to weigh down our luggage. The problem so colored our experience that we will probably not return, even in summer (who knows if the A/C works any better than the heat!).

Another FYI is that Cavas caters to the wealthy. All of the other people staying at Cavas were in that category. We ourselves are American middle-class and felt out of place, though not unwelcomed. If you're middle-class and want to hobnob with other travelers like yourself, stay at Posada Salentein instead, or one of the hotels in Mendoza City, such as the Hotel Argentino. We had excellent stays at both of those places during this same trip.

Pertect hosts in a beutiful property.

by TripAdvisor Member Graziella5b

This was our second time in Cavas, our first visit during Winter, it was even better than the first time.-What a great feeling, waking up with the view of the majestic snow capped Andes, warm and cozy in our super comfortable bed, in our own private suite. We indulged ourself having breakfast in bed, each day. The knock on the door ,anouncing the arrival of
Marina the maid, bringing us the trade full of fresh fruits,scramble eggs with tomato and bacon, and delicious home made bread were moments to be remembered......
We kept ourself busy, we relied totally on Cecilia and Martin to select our visits to vineyards and also to an artesanal olive oil producer. Again during this visit we took advantage of the bikes to ride around but I must confess that relaxing was a big part of the success of our stay.
The days were crisp and cold, the sky deep blue,some times with menacing clouds, but inside beautiful Cavas we felt in our own private paradise.
We were able to unwind and get rid of accumulated stress,
visits to the spa helped a lot, as well as informally lazy, evenings listening to music, drinking wine and simply being pampered .

The view does not get boring

by TripAdvisor Member Smiley09

We have just returned from our honeymoon to Argentina, we spent 6 nights at Cavas. we had a wonderfully relaxing time at Cavas. The buildings are really beautiful but it was the views of the snow topped mountains that took our breath away. There was a good mix of young/older, Argentine and non-argentine, guests and staff were all friendly.

The staff were helpful and accomodating, happy to deliver more logs for our roaring log fire, how romantic. Our room was just the right temperature, a little too hot at night for us with the heating on.

There was a relaxing violin recital on our first night that really got us into the relaxed mode. Food was excellent and always available. Cecilia and Martin seem to work hard to make sure guests enjoy their stay.

I would recommend this to anyone looking for somewhere luxorious and relaxing. i just have to persuade the husband to save up to go back!

Comments