Gran Ariosto Hotel

Booking.com Priceline.com Otel.com

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

More about Mendoza

Posing in Plaza Espana on the azulejo benchPosing in Plaza Espana on the azulejo bench

weird playgroundweird playground

Parque General San MartinParque General San Martin

SurvivorSurvivor

Mendoza to Bariloche by overnite bus

by GrannyCarol

We will be in Argentina for over a month and as part of our trip, we wanted to take an overnite bus from Mendoza to Bariloche. Can anyone tell me the name of a bus company or website where I can find information? I read there was a daily bus, but that's it. Do you think we would need to reserve in advance or just show up? Is it true they have seats you can try to sleep in?

Hope you can help.

RE: Mendoza to Bariloche by overnite bus

by vtveen

Try Andesmar: http://www.andesmar.com/shop/default.asp?lang=en
Best thing is to make reservation one or two day before travelling.

happy travels
jaap

RE: Mendoza to Bariloche by overnite bus

by mle267

andesmar is a good company...i can not even believe i am writing this, since until this past summer i swore i would never do a long bus trip in argentina, but i did mendoza to tucuman which was 13 hours. the first class tickets were not much more than the regular and the seats turned into complete flat beds. as long as you can get an overnight trip, it really isnt bad. bring earplugs/headphones, as the movies are played over the loudspeakers, and if you want to sleep, it might be hard.

RE: RE: Mendoza to Bariloche by overnite bus

by GrannyCarol

Thanks Vtveen and mle 267. That's what I need to get started. I'm not looking forward to a 19 hour bus trip, but dear husband likes to try public transportation. We have 6 domestic air flights in Argentina, so this will satisfy him, I hope.

Travel Tips for Mendoza

Horseriding is easy...

by mindcrime

What a great day! Horseback riding is something many tourist operators offer. I chosen mine through my hostel because of good reputation. The horse riding tour is called CABALGATAS and costs 160pesos(32euros) for a full day.

First, they picked up everyone(in total a group of 8 people) with their mini van from the hotel (7:30-8:30am). Then, after a 30’ ride(at 9:00am) we arrived at a ranch, 50km away from Mendoza. Then a gaucho came with his son and 8 horses and we started our ride into the mountains after a demonstration of how to ride a horse.

The gauchos are the owners of the horses and they do the same job like their fathers, grandfathers etc They have and raise horses, they train them, they sell some of them and the last years some of them they cooperator with Mendoza’s agent offering horse riding for the visitors….

I was impressed of the surrounded view and it’s easy to happen to you because in fact, you don’t have to do anything when you are up on the horse, just hold tight the rope and enjoy the ride. The horses are very calm and they go in low speed. They only increase speed when they want to go up on a hill and of course if you want to race with someone else but even then you are the one that says “go” and “stop” (you control the speed with your feet!:) ).

We made some stops to drink mate (that the gaucho prepared for us) and at noon we returned back for the asado! Asado is the famous barbeque of the argentinians, we ate a lot, we drunk a lot, we laughed a lot. Then happily, we took again our horses through another path up in the mountains but it was more difficult because the horses run faster than in the morning. When we returned back in the hotel (around 19:00) I still had a smile on my face… a bottle of water, sun lotion and a hat

great food!

by mindcrime about LA FRANCESCA

From the other side of Facundo I saw another restaurant and I tried to eat here the day after. It was a great idea of me!

Francesca has the best food of Mendoza by far. A beautiful woman came to show us the wine list, she suggested one and we followed her suggestion while we were shocked by her beauty! I ordered for main dish an excellent roasted little lamb with potatoes but from what I’ve heard from my friends every dish was delicious. The wine was great too.

We paid each one around 50pesos(10euros). You could see the busy kitchen inside with the big pieces of meat everywhere. The service was good and fast… The restaurant has many tables inside but I didn’t see one empty but we wanted to be outside in the sidewalk anyway, so it was ok!

Parque San Martin

by Patriquito

OK, Mendoza is not the loudest city of all, but anyway it has a huge park at the western end of the town, where you can relax on the green and make a rest of the noise. Within the parks are several cafes, museums, the zoo, the football stadium and the Cerro de la Gloria, which you can climb up. The park also contains an impressive variety of trees and a small lake.

The best laid plans ....

by TheWanderingCamel

The wineries we visited were all in the districts of Maipu and Lujan de Cuyo, satellite towns to the south of the centre of Mendoza. Luja de Cuyo's vineyards lie between 800 and 1100 metres above sea level. This altitude and the area's soils are considered to be the best in all the Mendoza region, and the wines from here and neighboring Maipu are considered to be the best in Argentina. Luscious Malbecs (MrL's favourite) are the key wines. With these in mind but a champagne-lover in our party (and it was her birthday) we had planned to go to Chandon but couldn't book a tour at a time to suit us.

We struck a hiccup at another winery we were strongly recommended to visit - Carmelo Patti. This time language, not time, was the problem - we were visiting without a guide, Carmelo (one of the most-highly regarded oenologists in Argentina) conducts all the tours of his winery himself, he doesn't speak English and we speak very little Spanish! "La visita es imposible!"

All was not lost - we were able to taste the wines of these vineyards that evening in Mendoza at the Vines of Mendoza Tasting Room after a great day and a fabulous lunch at the places we did visit.

One word of warning - although readily available, maps like this one of Lujan de Cuyo and Mendoza's other wine routes tend to be difficult to follow as they are both schematic and not to scale. Bear this in mind if you're driving yourself around and ask at your hotel for clear directions or you could find yourself driving up and down lots of back roads that all look the same.

Cerro de la Gloria (Glory Hill)

by msocolin

The Monumento al Ejercito de los Andes (Monument of the Andes' Army) is located on top of the Glory Hill. Its construction started in 1911 and was inaugurated in february 1914 for the 97th aniversary of the battle of Chacabuco.
The sculpture shows an equestrian statue of General San Martin, and behind him the Granaderos. On the sides there are reliefs depicting key moments in the formation of the army.

Comments