Secret Garden Iguazu B&B

Los Lapachos 623, Puerto Iguazu, N3370JMC, Argentina

• intrepid_travelers's Profile Photo

Hidden treasure

We stayed 3 nights there. It was clean, quiet, & spacious, but that is only half of the story. John and his housekeeper Maria do their best to make you feel at home. It was warm on our arrival day, so I was welcomed with a Gin and Tonic which I shared with John as he filled me in on what to do in the area. He enjoys helping guests and even anticipates that you will go out to dinner with him at least once during your stay. It is an absolutely delightful place, and if you are in need of laundry service, Maria will do an excellent job for you at a fair price. Oh yes, I forgot to mention...the best coffee in Argentina (although breakfast consists mainly of just coffee and toast with jams). John will arrange to have a driver pick you up and take you to both the Brazil side and the Argentine side of the falls. This is by far the best way to see the Brazilian side. I would do as we did, take a bus or cab and see the Argentine side on your first day. Then on the second day, take John's driver and do the Brazil side, coming back to the Argentine side to pick up anything you missed on the first day. If you can afford it, be sure to take the helicopter ride on the Brazil side. Take enough US dollars to pay for it as they give you a slightly unfavorable rate on Argentine pesos if you pay with them. Avoid the Sheraton and other concrete jungles and stay here.

Directions: Two blocks off of the main street of town and a bus stop to the falls.

More about Secret Garden Iguazu B&B

A nice refuge at end of the day....

by mitscherman about Secret Garden Iguazu

When I arrived, I was greeted by John, the owner, who invited me to a cold beer and through polite conversation, helped me relax after a long five hours drive from Posadas. After a hot shower and a couple Caiprinhas, I walked into town for a bite to eat at a local restaurant. The next morning I enjoyed a fabulous breakfast consisting of toast, jams, coffee, tea, and fresh orange juice. John also arranged for a car and driver to meet me at the Secret Garden for transport to the Brazil side of the falls. Only negative comment is that you must make reservations well in advance to secure your stay. I was lucky to find an opening for one night but he did assist me in making follow-on arrangements. Clean rooms with a touch of class in all the details. Beautiful small tropical garden adjacent rooms. Friendly yet discreet.

A 'better hotel' with personal touch and attention to detail!

When I come to think why I prefer B&Bs to hotels, I believe the key reason is interaction with the owner and other guests, personal touch and atmosphere. Well, Secret Garden is a perfect example:

John Fernandez, the owner, picked me up at the airport and gave me a 20 min. scoop on what I need to know about Iguazu on our way to B&B. He drove me around the downtown showing the restaurants, supermarket, etc. At B&B I was welcomed by the housekeeper Maria with a drink. My room and bathroom were beautiful: spacious, very clean, comfortable beds, hardwood floors, excellent modern shower. I was so tempted to take a nap instead of rushing to the waterfalls (I had less than one full day).

In the evening we gathered with John and other guests at the porch sipping the best Caipirinha I've ever had(traditional Brazilian drink prepared with cachaça and limes; very popular in some European countries like Germany) and chatting about different cultures and places to visit: There were 5 of us from 4 different countries.

The next morning Maria served amazing coffee latte with the best froth! Freshly made orange juice was delicious (and I don't even drink orange juice back home). I was rather sad to head back to Buenos Aires....

A gem that is highly recommended

by TripAdvisor Member WashingtonDC

After three weeks in Argentina, this was our favorite place of all. It felt as if we were staying in the home of a close and fascinating friend who has other interesting friends to talk with at the end of the day. Our room was spotless and very comfortable, and the breakfast was excellent with homemade breads and jams and fantastic cafe con leche. John and Maria were both exceedingly warm and kind, and we very much enjoyed talking with the other guests about their days, getting ideas for how to best spend our time in Iguazu. John's caipirinas are legendary! This B&B is an oasis, and I highly recommend it.

Secret Garden - hope it remains a secret

Don't pass up the beauty of Iguazu and if you go this is the place to stay. Secret Garden is quiet, clean, private and run by a charming host. The service and care we received was wonderful and the accommodations were great. Avoid the tourist factories (i.e. Sheraton) and stay here if you want great accommodations, friendly (and English speaking) hosts and to meet other interesting people. Of all the places we stayed in Argentina the Secret Garden surpassed them all. A true gem.

John you're the best- We loved staying at the Secret Garden

by TripAdvisor Member Mazworldtraveller

We stayed 3 nights at the Secret Garden and It was the best 3 days we had in Argentina. John is a delightful host, we came to his place as tourists and left as friends. I loved the rooms, so comfortable and clean and I am terribly missing John's caprinhias.
Maryline and Matt

When you go to Iguazu, I highly recommend the Secret Garden.

by TripAdvisor Member carrie4

My husband and I recently returned from a trip to South America. Without a doubt seeing Iguazu Falls was a highlight of our trip and we were very fortunate in our choice of lodging. The Secret Garden was a haven, away from the hustle and bustle of any tourist attraction. It's well located, between the Brazilian and Argentinian side. John, the owner, went out of his way to make sure we had a wonderful stay. He personally picked us up at the airport (on the Brazilian side) and arranged for taxis to the Falls, making transportation concerns a non-issue. He planned a "happy hour" so we could meet the other guests and have time to exchange ideas. The rooms were very clean and quiet. Overall, it was a great experience.

Wonderful experience

by TripAdvisor Member DrChrisWu

We had a great time at the Secret Garden. We were able to book all three rooms and have the inn to ourselves. (Six total people). Unfortunately the weather in Iguazu was not as cooperative as John was; we had rain rain rain the entire time. But, it was a wonderful experience. John helped us arrange transport to the Brazillian side (well worth the trip and no visa is really necessary for US citizens) and showed us which bus to take to the Argentinian side. Loved his advice!

Cocktail hour was great as we were introduced to capirinhinas and the morning breakfasts of fresh preserves and toasts were refreshing. The rooms were very clean and comfortable.

We had a bit of a crisis when we were leaving (a member of our party left their pocketbok at the inn) and John helped make sure it was retrieved very promptly.

Thanks for a great experience!

Gracious, friendly host---

by TripAdvisor Member gwenmart

We would definitely stay here again and recommend it to friends. A small B & B, good location--walking distance to town and public bus to the Falls at the corner. Accommodations are basic but clean, good beds, great shower. Most special is John, the owner.

It's All About Service

If you're headed to Iguazu Falls and you want the best place to stay then look no further than Secret Garden in Puerto Iquazu. This B&B has one thing that no other hotel/b&b in the area has and his name in John Fernandes. Secret Garden is all about service and John will make sure that you are fully taken care of during your stay, from a Puerto Iguazu tour in his truck, to cocktails and snacks when you arrive, to unbiased recommendations on where to eat and go, to a great breakfast with passion fruit jam that's better than any I've ever had in Hawaii. John also shares a ton of personal stories and his guest list is a who's who of business people and travelers from around the world. We highly recommend staying here!

Comments