Edelweiss Hotel

San Marti­n 202, San Carlos de Bariloche, Province of Rio Negro, 8400, Argentina

Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 98% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Veghel's Profile Photo

A good hotel in a good location

I stayed in hotel Edelweiss for only one night. The room was good: clean, spacious, well equipped and with a good bathroom. Just the view out of the window was not very nice. In fact, there was hardly any view except for a wall.
    In the hotel lobby there were many couches and I guess it is pretty nice to sit there after dinner. I didn't use or see any of the numerous hotel facilities, but they must be good considering the other things that I did see.
    The breakfast (buffet) was excellent, with plenty of choice of anything that you can think of. I didn't have dinner in the hotel.
    One strong advise: make sure you have a quiet room! The hotel is along the main street of Bariloche, with much traffic 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Besides, there are drunk people in the streets overnight and well... you know they can make a lot of noise. I spoke to a couple that stayed in a room on the front side of the hotel and they didn't get a wink of sleep!
    Would I go back to hotel Edelweiss? Maybe not in summer time, but I would definitely consider it for a winter holiday. I think the hotel's atmosphere really fits a (family) vacation.

Directions: In the city center, along the main street

More about Edelweiss Hotel

Edelweiss, Edelweiss....

by snailsaregreat

"Bariloche"

So I got to Bariloche yesterday and we went off into the mountains for a picnic and a lovely walk through beech woodland, remarkably like woodland at home but the trees had tiny leaves and rough bark, not really like our beeches but the whole place was vaguely reminiscent. It was lovely though, nice temperature, not too warm but not pissing with rain either. I have definately decided I'm a girl for the temperate regions of the world. I'm increasingly not bothered whether that's north or south of the equator but I think I need over 40 or so degrees of latitude!

This is a crazy place, I like it very much but it?s like being in the Alps in Summer or something. There are snow capped mountains and bright blue lakes everywhere and woodland and rivers and glaciers and everything. It?s really very like Switzerland even down to the log cabins, steins of locally brewed beer, chocolate manufacture and st bernard dogs with kegs of brandy! No, really! All that?s missing are cows with huge bells and little girls running around the hillsides with their plaits at right angles to their heads (or is that Holland, hmmm....). I keep wanting to break into Eidelweiss from the sound of Music but I don?t know the words. Probably just as well.

It is a very touristy place though. I?m lucky because I?m getting to see bits that independent people without cars seldom do, just the bits the locals or Argentine tourists with cars do. Yesterday we drove about 40km on dirt roads to see a glacier. Pretty impressive it was too there was this huge chunk of black ice carving a valley out right before our very eyes. (OK, couldn?t really see the valley creation, but you could tell it was happening, you really could, yep, uh huh!) It was really breathtaking with waterfalls cascadiong down into ice below and periodic avalanches as the snow warmed in the sun.

Comments